2 Pot RDWC System

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by iaw, May 19, 2021.

1. Bought a DWC system, but the buckets are too big for my tent (they're 5 gallon) and have returned it and on the hunt for something smaller. Now that I'm going smaller, I've decided to go RDWC if I can find it. Need something that's 2-3 pots plus the reservoir max. I have a small space and weight is a real issue. I'm not going for monster yields (well I am, but I'm mainlining to achieve it), so the 5 gallon buckets are too high ... not an option otherwise I would have kept the system I have.

Any recommendations? I may have to go DIY but I prefer not to.

2. How much headroom do you have? Are you limited by your charcoal filter in the top of your tent?

You stated the weight is a concern. Soil, coco, rockwool are all good grow mediums that don't weigh a great deal. The water reservoir for hydro is going to be the greatest weight, is that a genuine concern?

Start a conversation with more detail and you'll find there are some very innovative people that just want to help you grow.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

3. Sorry,
    Sorry, weight should have said height ... my tent is only 5 feel high and my carbon filter is outside my tent. It's really a matter of my LED lights only have so much space if I go with 5 gallon buckets. I'd rather go with 3 gallon buckets to save some space and deal with small plants (again, I don't smoke a ton so I'm not trying to grow a ton ... I want my strains grown in my basement). Currently have plants in there now in soil, but I'd rather do hydro for less attention to be honest.

I'm looking at buying 3 buckets and building a system, but I'd rather buy something if I can that's 3 gallon. I guess my other option is to look for something that is a 5 gallon system and convert the buckets to 3 gallon, but then I figure I'm just as well of to build it myself.

4. Depending on what you grow , you may have enough height. My tent is only 5 ft.
    My filter and light are inside my tent and running autos in a 5 gallon bucket. Sometimes I have to get creative towards the end and take my light off the ratchet straps and mount it right to the support bar.
    You may have luck getting a system set for 5 gallon buckets and swap out the ones you’re going not grow in with 3 gallons and keep the 5’s for your reservoir

5. the 5 gallon buckets are about 16 inches high and I was out today and saw some 3 gallons that were 10 inches. Given that I'd prob just clone/veg/top/mainline a big and top again (may not mainline) then i think the 3 gallons would be ok and give me an extra 6 inches. The other thing I'm considering is a small container and do 6 small plants (I do like to have a variety on hand) in SCROG where i on basically veg to the point of topping, give them a week to recover, then flower and lollipop heavily

6. #6 bkarnaze, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
    I also worry about DWC height.
    I've had autos get 7 ft tall.

The problem is the shape of buckets, which are always taller than they are wide.
    You can save 2 or more additional inches by DIYing.
    Or finding a ready made system that uses totes instead of buckets.

Sterilite makes some 4 gallon totes that are less than 8 inches tall.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-4-Gal-Stacker-Tote-Black-Set-of-6/44785758
    I've used these but switched to the next brand because they are sturdier.

These are the ones I sometimes use (5 gal) when I want smaller plants:

DIYing standalone DWC buckets is very easy using a 5.5 inch hole saw for 6 inch netpots:

A second hole can be drilled for access to the reservoir.
    An emptying tube can be added, or level measured thru the access hole.
    Air stones and air pumps are easily added if some smaller holes are drilled at the top of the reservoir for tubing access.

I'm not much of a DIY guy, but I've built so many of these I can do it in about half an hour.
    I add a float valve to plant vessels, and an external storage tank when I want the systems to be on autopilot.

Edit: I'm not a fan of RDWC because of too many hoses and pumps.
    I use gravity feed instead, which is easily done in one of two ways.
    GH Waterfarm uses a 2-tank external storage system with float valve.
    I install a float valve in every plant vessel, and then hook up to an external storage tank.

• Like Like x 1