2 Plants 1 Pot

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by darkstar0422, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Ok, I remember reading a thread in which somebody was promoting growing more than one plant in a pot without stunting growth. Just wondering if anybody here has ever actually tried growing more than 1 plant per pot, and what results have you gotten?

2. Eventually they will fight for the space and kill each other.

3. Not true. They won't kill each other. They just might not get as big as if they had their own pot. They will adapt to the condition you put them in, and all plants will live. You may just effect your yield because they won't grow as big as they might have.

There are a few recent threads on the boards that discuss this topic. Can't remeber the subjects off the top of my head, but they were started within the last week or so.

4. Totally depends on the size of the pot and the size of the plants.

Generally, plants prefer to have their own space to grow roots. Once roots get tangled, the plants essentially fight for space. If the pot is small, the plants will use up their water and nutrient resources much quicker meaning more maintenance.

It can be done, but a lot of control and care is required.

5. The only REAL issue with this topic is that when you try to transplant the two plants into larger containers if you plan on doing so you will have one helluva time trying to untangle the roots.

6. Two plants in 10L of soil will fare better than in individual 5L pots - they share root space. Also, this can increase potency.

I flower in "beds" with all sorts of plants living next to each other. They love it.

-mu

7. Growing 2 in the same pot is not bad in and of itself. But it often leads newbies to two potential problems:

1) You put two plants in too small of a pot. You need a pot that provides ample space for 2 root systems.

2) Separating males from females is more challenging.

8. I just think that of course you can grow more then one plant in a pot but at diminishing returns. The more space the bigger the plant. Would I want one big plant or two plants that are smaller for the same pot size? The bigger the plant the larger the buds are. Which is all I'm after. Its a novel concept best done on an outside grow where your containers are greater then 20L+ but then even then its a no brainier. Want big plants give them the space to grow in. Want smaller plants cramp their style.

9. What everyone is seeming to look over completely is you DO NOT SEPERATE THE MALES!!! You cut them out. You take some snips and cut as far below soil level as possible on the males stem. You just cut it out. You dont damage or even MOVE the other roots. This shouldnt even be a thought when trying to discuss pros and cons of doing it this way.

10. Forget the males. Two females in one pot or two females in two pots is a no brainer to me. All the power to you for trying this but I'll stick with the tried and tested way of doing things.

11. And just think, if everyone had stuck to the tried and tested way then we wouldnt be growing hydroponically! Its good to have people like you that dont try new things cause this only makes old things better. And its good to have people like us to try new things so we can figure out bigger and better ways. So in the end, its a good thing we are all growing this wonderful plant huh?

12. Yeah. So stoned.. :wave: Peace!