2 King Tut in RDWC

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Stltoed, Aug 20, 2021.

1. #1 Stltoed, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Hello. I've started a couple Tutankhamon seeds from Pyramid Seeds in Spain. I've grow the strain in the past, but decided to to a max effort grow in hydro. King Tut is an amazing strain. Most Sativa, grows like an Indica with a THC above 30% once and a while. Pics from a previous King Tut grow

Once I remember how to add photos I'll add them

Lights are 2 ChilLED 500 watt fixtures. I will be using CO2. Nutrients are the GH trio. I will be using Power Si. My wish is to grow 2 plants as big as I can get them. I know this strain will be able to go well over a pound, but could it grow 2 pound plants? I will veg as big as I can. The gas will help that.

The system is 2 buckets. 17 gallons each with a 25 gallon res. A 60 Liter Alita air pump feeding 2 11" diameter diffusers in each pot. I'm using a Hanna wall mounted meter.
    A view of my rig

The room is in a shed in Southern California. Heat can be a real problem. Last August it was 102 in the room one day. The shed is heavily insulated, but when it's 110 outside it's very hard to hide from the heat. So I'm a dyed in the wool Silica user. No Potassium based, I like mono-silicic.I don't use a chiller. Instead, I use a 6 inch fan to cool my nutes. Hard to explain without pictures... I will get into that later if anyone has questions.

I just bought a monster air filter, but considering I'm going with gas it won't be used till the 5th or 6th week of flower. I need to go buy some propane so I can start the gas.

If this sounds like fun, please hangout. Should be fun

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Sounds like fun... shit!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Several of us are here in So Cal.

BNW

4. Right on.. im about 5 miles North of Ont. Airport.

So you know what I mean about heat...

5. In my shed there are 2 growing areas. The main room I showed you, and a closet. I have 2 seedlings duking it out to see who will get the "seat". The first is Dark Phantom. A new sativa from Greenhouse, and a G13 from 710 Genticas. The G13 was free, so honestly I really don't care what happens to it. I started it because the Dark Phantom (there were 2) started like shit. Terribly misshapen leaves and stunted growth. It appears to be an unstable seed thing. The other seed was much worse. The present plant is only recently getting over it. If it ever finds second gear this could be a nice plant.

When I run gas I just leave the door open. There's an input and output fan for positive airflow, but its just easier to leave the door open. This is a soil area. I use a 20 gallon smart pot and drain through the floor. Heres a shot of last season 20210721_153238.jpg
    To be fair I actually revegged this plant so it flowered twice. The second time it got very large almost outgrowing the space.

I added some sparkley insulation and waterproofed the floor for this season. But other than that the closet hasn't changed in a while... I take that back. It had a CMH in the first part of last season, but finished with a small ChilLED light. It's ony 200 watts, I wish it were a little stronger to match is big brothers in the main room, but its a very nice light and actually very bright considering it's wattage. I'm sure I could get a larger driver, but we'll see.

6. I wanted to try and load a video. I like videos. Much easier to get the point across.

Maybe that'll do it.

So while working on my shed before the start of the season I had started some seeds but I had no place to put them, so I planted them in vermiculite and about half a teaspoon of Great White. The plants lived hempy style like this for about 3 weeks. When they were placed in hydro they didn't miss a beat.there was a substantial root zone in the netcup, all it had to do was reach through for some water. The photo was 3 days ago.

20210817_194725.jpg

The video was today.

7. I started the gas today, so my lopsided plants will really start to move in the next few days. We are looking at heat toward the end of the week, so the gas will be used as long as the room temps don't go completely nuts. If I hit 90F I'll turn it off. If these plants were a little farther along I would probably let it ride. Again, I'm using a CO2 generator so there can be a lot of heat involved.

Anyway. The season has started off pretty well, other than breaking off 2 substantial branches (still pissed at that!). Last season a light fell and almost destroyed an adult plant... maybe pot farming isn't for me. Haha. But, it is what it is. The plants look pretty good. The only issue is a little Calcium problem 1. No biggie. I will be introducing Silica at the next nute change.

I'm a Silica freak. Once I started with the mono-silicic acid and saw the true worth of Silica I gave up on all Potassium based products. It's just not the same. If you guess have questions I can try to answer them.

I have 2 options here. I can use the rest of a partial bottle if Power Si, or try a new bottle of an inexpensive product called MSA Stout from Alchemy. Alchemy is known (to me at least) for pure alcohol and 34% peroxide. But products work great. Ive tested the alcohol for water and it did very well, but its spendy. I've burned the shit out of my fingers with the peroxide, so I know it's good haha.

I will probably use up the Power Si first. The shit is $50 a 250ml bottle, and unlike some other MS Silicas has a short shelf life. This is why I'm looking for another MSA Silica. So, for about the same price MSA Stout will give you a gallon. The serving size is much larger, but is it stable? I'm willing to find out. Once the Power Si is gone the Stout will take over.

Hope all is well with you guys

8. Haha I always forget how dead this forum is. It's really too bad. Oh well.

So the plants are doing well. One still has Calcium issues, but its almost over. The gas is always fun to watch. Everytime you walk into your room the plants seem bigger. I can't imagine anyone will read it but I was going to talk about my lights.

I've had LED lights from Platinum (2styles), G8, Spectrum King, Black Dog, and ive tried double ended MH/HPS, and CMH. I have used Rapid, Ursa, and Perfect Sun to see what they were good at.

My most recent lights are from CHILLED. I have 2 500watt fixtures in the main area and a much smaller 200watt for a 3x3 foot area.. my closet is only 2x2ish. They are completely different than any LED I've used... even the Black Dog lights pale in comparison, which is a real issue from me since my new lights are $100 more per fixture, but 100watts stronger. And the key issue here is the cost. $2800 for 2 400watt fixtures. They are remarkable lights and have me my first 1 pound plant, but what I have now is far better, at almost half the price.

The footprint on the new fixtures are at 3x5 per light. My grow area is 4x6, so that was easy. The output efficacy is better than Q hoards, or really any other manufacturer. The only lights that beat the Growcraft lights are the Ultra series from ChilLED. They are truly amazing and always on backorder.

So who is ChilLED? They have been around for a long time in (lighting years). They pioneered watercooled lights more than a decade ago. They teamed up with Growmau5 and designed, built, and marketed his red and blue puck fixtures. They have promoting DIY since they started, and have an amazing support group.

If you are looking for lights and want to buy some that won't need to be replaced next week check out the ChilLED.
    Chilled Tech – LED Grow Lights & Spectrum Control
    Their Growcraft, DIY, or commercial fixtures. They have a pretty amazing selection and price isn't too terrible. 500watts, $700, 3x5 honest footprint. Totally rebuildable and a world class output.

A short vid. From the day I put it together.

The only negative I have with these lights is the ratchet hangers they suck! They suck! They suck!

Cheers