2 just completed homemades! (update: added another one)

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Baman, Jun 24, 2010.

1. #1 Baman, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2010
    update:
    This one's actually an antique vase from 1906. I almost just made it into a huge pipe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I modified the downstem from this:
    [​IMG]
    to this:
    [​IMG]
    (end of update)

Both of these are made from vases. It's almost too easy with diamond bits :p

I could hardly believe this was a vase when I first saw it. The glass is super thick (7mm+).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to test this one.. it's about 22" tall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come...

2. Nice work man!

How much do one of those bits cost? You go through many?

3. a good size for a bong would be around $10-$15, i got my bit from homedepot or lowes i forget which, but it was $12. i havent even used it yet because i havent found a good glass piece to make into a bong.

OP, props for makin those, ive never seen a vase that looked like either of those, but i guess it has a new purpose,lol.

where did you get your gromets from?

4. That first one is fucking sick

5. dude thats legit! very nice

6. those look professional man, nice job!

7. dude those are ill!

8. hell yeah man nice work

9. Let us know how the rip! I've been meaning to make myself my own homemade glass bong, how did you cut it? Dremel or drill? In water? Did you fill with sand? Or was it just an easy process?

10. not gonna lie thats pretty crafty

11. Dude. those are fucking amazing. That first one is made to be a bong

12. Those look amazing, I bet they hit like mad.

13. Here are the 2 diamond bits I use:
    [​IMG]
    @Romain:So far the bits seem pretty durable, I've cut at least 10 holes with them. They were ~$10 each.

My process is done in a kitchen sink, using a dremel tool and diamond bits. I run a slow stream of cool water over the hole as I'm drilling to avoid any heat or shattering troubles, and to keep glass dust out of my lungs. Starting with the round bit, I slowly make a pit in the glass, deeper and deeper until there's a small hole. Then I switch to the pointed bit, working the hole bigger in a circular motion until it's big enough to fit the down stem. Patience is key, as this is a slow process and working too fast is risky.

I've never tried putting sand in, never saw the need.

@area11: The grommets are from an oldschool hardware store in my area that carries tons of odds and ends. I'm sure you could order something similar online, they're pretty basic stuff (and definitely cheap).

Thanks everyone for the props. Ima post another within the next few days :D

14. That's how you do a homemade. Legit, safe materials.

+rep

15. agreed.

16. This is so sick! Nice job man!
    You've inspired me to try my hand at this myself since I've always wanted to convert this piece of glass I've had in my house into a bong:
    [​IMG]
    +rep:hello:

17. Bryan, keep in mind with that vase you'll have to figure out a way to angle the downstem so it hits water (and so the bowl isn't dumping your stuff). Looks sweet though, if you can work it out.

18. #18 BryanDaniel, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
    Wow I hadn't even thought of that Baman. I'm just now realizing that both of yours had a bubble bottom that you could drill (more or less) straight down into.
    Hmm I'll have to do a little more research before I give it a shot!
    Good observation!

19. Homemade you say damn those are impressive..:bongin:

20. #20 sharkie13, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2010
    What you should do is drill straight into the side, on the bottom, then have some sort of stem that makes a 90 degree turn or something like that so it sticks up.

Get what I'm saying at all?

Although I don't think drilling at an angle is an impossible task but hell if I know.

Oh, actually, looks like the glass has bubbles in it which may or may not cause drilling issues, once again I don't know for sure.