2 Gallon Smart Pots For Flower?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Chief Tokem, Sep 16, 2011.

1. What's up. I'm setting up a top feed drain to waste system for four plants. I am just wondering if it would be okay to start and flower the little girls in 2 gallon pots with Cana Coco Coir as the medium.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. I don't see why that wouldn't work.
    I have 6 BC Big Bud's going now in coco (almost at 30 days from seed). 3 in straight coco with cana nute program and 3 in coco with OC+ and just PH'd water. The 3 with the OC+ are out performing the cana nutes right now. I'll probably move the 3 with just the cana nutes to flower at 30 days and give the other 3 another 15 days and transplant into larger pots and then into flower.

3. two gallon smart pots are more than enough

4. Thats what I am using, and my plants are pretty damn big :)

5. Hell yeah. Thanks for the response. It seems like people having been saying two gallons is enough. I'm gunna try it, hopefully I'll post some pics back. Thank again, the help is much appreciated,

6. what are you using as your medium?

7. Hi Chief Tokem, Just finished my first coco grow in 2 gal air pots. Veged for 30 days & flowered for 60. Plants wound up being over 4' tall. 2 gal pots were fine just wished I would have trained 'em.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hey. Thanks for the help Bruce. I am definitely feeling comfortable flowering the girls in two gallon pots now. And I am definitely going to doing some LSTing once i have them transplanted. But I swear, even with training, my plants always getting bigger than I would like. I think I am going to start trying to cut my veg time (usually 30 days also) down to maybe 15. Which would bring flowers quicker too haha! Any tips on transplanting with coco? I have the really fine pith.

9. Id say it just depends on the space youre growing in....

My first grow I had a 4x2x5ft, and could only fit 3 3gallon pots inside....plants were huge, had 1 plant also in there that was in a 2gallon smartie and it didnt grow nearly as big as the others in the 3gallon pots, and it received the same treatment as the others, just topped once and yielded less than 1oz...so to me id rather take my chances with my 3gallon smarties over the 2g....I may grab a clone and grow it in a 2gallon and see if its around the same yield as before, or i just had a bad strain(although supposed to be a high yielding indica-blue hash)

10. You would make it by in 2 gallon pots but i recommend you veg in 2 then transfer to at least 5 gallons when you flower.

11. this is not needed in smart pots with coco. this works well for soil grows. if I had a camera that I could upload pics from I would show you what kind of beasts you can grow in 2gal smart pots.

12. id love to see it, would save me money on 3gallon smart pots im planning on buying if the yield is comparable....but yield is dependent on so many different variables other than pot size.

13. [quote name='"wesside"']
    this is not needed in smart pots with coco. this works well for soil grows. if I had a camera that I could upload pics from I would show you what kind of beasts you can grow in 2gal smart pots.[/quote]

I didn't know that, I was told this someone that grows in soil. Right now Im in 3 gallon pots but was told by him to veg in 1 gallons then transfer to 5 or 7 when I flower. If it's not necessary I'll just stick to veg/flower in 3's

14. the only difference 3 gal would make is if you don't like to water often. I water three times a day with a drip system, so it doesn't matter to me if a giant sativa will suck it dry in half a day, but if I were hand watering and wanted to water every two days or so I would go with the 3 gal.

I'm even considering get some 1 gal for a SOG and I wouldn't be worried about getting root bound.

15. Right, when I used soil I would go from dixies to 1 gal and then to 3 or 5 gal depending, but with coco, using smart pots, I go straight from dixies to the 2 gal and they are always more than enough. You also get to use less medium which is a plus in my book.

16. [quote name='"wesside"']
    Right, when I used soil I would go from dixies to 1 gal and then to 3 or 5 gal depending, but with coco, using smart pots, I go straight from dixies to the 2 gal and they are always more than enough. You also get to use less medium which is a plus in my book.[/quote]

That's good info to know, If you don't mind me asking, what nutes are you using for your coco? Did you notice a difference when you went from soil to coco?

17. thats pretty much why I chose 3gallons over 2....the 2gallons seem soo much smaller to me, and my 2gallons always dried up within 2 days, where as my 3gallons could go 4-5 between waterings...but i would water every 2-3 days

and since I leave my plants for multiple days a week, and dont have an automatic watering system, the 3's work out great. What are you averaging in terms of yield with your 2gallons?

18. I use General Hydro Flora micro/bloom with silica blast and Koolbloom in flower with some cal/mag if needed.

19. it depends on strain of course but I got about 3oz off a white widow and that wasn't even in smart pots, but the ones I have now I'm hoping for at least 5oz off each one.

20. very nice man, your plants look great....ill follow along, im curious now.