2 drawer file cabinet - help!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by dirtyglove, May 8, 2012.

1. Id love to have the bottoms and backs cut out but still allowing drawer movement. Idk im close to jus gettn a grow tent n calln it but these cabs are soo dam slickk! Maybe a coffee table design? We shall keep the file cab an option tho.. Maybe a way of making both drawers close n connect as one?

2. To cut out the bottom of the top shelf I used a saw zall/reciprocating saw with a metal blade on it. It wasnt the cleanest so i had to go back and grind alot of the sharp metal down. My top and bottom drawer slide out together. There attached together by the wood frame.

3. [quote name='"lowd"']To cut out the bottom of the top shelf I used a saw zall/reciprocating saw with a metal blade on it. It wasnt the cleanest so i had to go back and grind alot of the sharp metal down. My top and bottom drawer slide out together. There attached together by the wood frame.[/quote]

Thats what i had but hopefully is easier with wood

4. I agree with you that wood frame will be very easy to fix and i can say it is durable also. It is easy to find and very cheap regarding cost. I also prefer to get wood frame rather then using metal frame.

5. [quote name='"rubyluise"']
    I agree with you that wood frame will be very easy to fix and i can say it is durable also. It is easy to find and very cheap regarding cost. I also prefer to get wood frame rather then using metal frame.[/quote]

Im not abandoning the idea by ne means but im gna do a pc run then get more aquanted with this after

6. I know that you are not abandoning the idea but, I will assure you regarding my opinion. I would always prefer to use wood frame rather then using any kind of material. This is my opinion. Thanks for your suggestion.

7. [quote name='"dirtyglove"']

Im not abandoning the idea by ne means but im gna do a pc run then get more aquanted with this after[/quote]

Do it man;) I'm here to help. Just finished mine, adding intake tomorrow.

8. [quote name='"ImBurnt"']

Do it man;) I'm here to help. Just finished mine, adding intake tomorrow.[/quote]

Pc or cab homie?

9. [quote name='"dirtyglove"']

Pc or cab homie?[/quote]

PC:) I am just using mine to mother the little babies though...weather can get a little extreme where I live. Go out to wallmart and buy a survival heat Blanket(all shiny) and line your whole case with that stuff;)

10. [quote name='"ImBurnt"']

PC:) I am just using mine to mother the little babies though...weather can get a little extreme where I live. Go out to wallmart and buy a survival heat Blanket(all shiny) and line your whole case with that stuff;)[/quote]

Mines almost built will post pics soon!

11. Oh that's really very great that you almost done with your project. I eagerly waiting for your pics. Hope you will succeed according to your choice.

12. [quote name='"dirtyglove"']

Mines almost built will post pics soon![/quote]

Doing carbon filters? intake fan or passive intake? And using any fan controls?

13. I think that Ruby dude is a bot. Ive seen there posts on other threads and they don't seem to make sense. I thought that maybe the person doesn't speak or understand english well but I don't think its the case.

14. Didn't take a genius to figure that one out haha.

Ruby the Robot :hello:

15. True but look how many posts the person has and hasnt been banned yet?

16. #116 Growingmyown, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2012
    Has nobody ever heard of a sawzall?! You guys r crazy for telling him to use scissors or pliers or punch holes and beat the rest out with a hammer!! Its sheet metal!! Sawzall does what its called!

I also hav a 2 drawer file cabinet project. And on mine, the botoms on the drawers are actually just laid in with a tab flipped up to keep them there. All i had to do was flip the tabs and the bottom came out no problems with no cutting.

17. I let him know that a sawzall would work. My cabinet did not have tabs that would have been awesome lol. Id like to have a different area but for now the cabinet serves its purpose.