2 drawer file cabinet - help!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by dirtyglove, May 8, 2012.

1. hmm I think yer making it differently than I was...I meant for your air flow to be flipped around compared to mine. I have my fans on the outside, I was trying to design yours with the fans on the inside, so that the filters would muffle them.

So if you were looking at the back of the file cabinet there would be a kinda vent cover...then under that, you'd have 2 filters inserted into the 4x8 (actually ,sorry but make that 4x9! )

hope this pic explains better! I also switched the 2 exhaust fans so they're not side by side..that way you can have one above and one below the glass line. Oh yeh and the intake would work better flipped like shown as well.

..and on yer order did you get a 12v powersupply?

Attached Files:

2. the 2nd picture was from the inside i know we wanted the box right where the exhaust port was i didnt kno id be using 2 a/c filters but thats not a problem. i think the only task is how u constructed the box around the 2 filters and fans. the 12v powersupply was the 2a molex?

if ud like, or could..lol take this picture and design what u mean for clarity sake? i believe once i physically have these things it will become more clearer but yeah heres the link!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/20120508150752.jpg/

3. yeh the 12v dc supply is the molex 2A thing

oh and also if ya save yer pic as a jpeg, then 'attach' it to your post..it will show up like mine do :)

the grey circles represent the 2 filters...kinda hard to draw in 3D...

Attached Files:

4. [quote name='"Bongsauce"']yeh the 12v dc supply is the molex 2A thing

oh and also if ya save yer pic as a jpeg, then 'attach' it to your post..it will show up like mine do :)

the grey circles represent the 2 filters...kinda hard to draw in 3D...[/quote]

why have filters next to those fans? the only intake I see is down at the bottom....
    :confused:

5. #65 dirtyglove, May 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2012
    so the left 80mm still is just set in the case it isnt cut out or attached to a whole...its just blowing free air from the cab across light the the box?

i see i did have the box switched..i had the filters where u now have the fans.. those fans are blowing into the box and then the filters "circlular" end, the fat end, is whats visible on the other side of the cab(backside) which there will be a vent cover over? how do i get the filters to sit nicely in the box?? as youve pictured?

so constructing of the filter box went a little south..the wood for one i was using was shit ply, i had to use an unstable circular saw(only saw other then manuel sharktooth one) and i made 4 pieces of 4.5 x 9 instead of 4 x 9 because i felt it was still too small for everything.. then after putting everything away i realized i still need the top and bottom pieces which are roughly 4"x4" or in my case 4.5" x 4.5"?

here they are below..kinda misized a little bit..
    [​IMG]

then i started going through my house to find something close to that shape and size.. and i found this fila skeletoe box with roughly the same dimensions ..and it happened to have perfect solid cardboard interface where teh fans and filter should be.. im wondering after the installating of the fans and filters if i saranwrap and ductape the entire box so its as air tight as can get will it still work? to be this seems ligit but i could be wrong when it comes to pressurization as thats what we aimed for..

heres the fila box along with 2 other potential "filter box's" if they work?

[​IMG]

left side would be the filters cut out and inside then to the front would be where the fans go?

reverse front face(with 2 clear sides)
    [​IMG]

then the jordan shoe box & terabyte drive box
    [​IMG]

if im wasting my time with the cardboard for sure let me kno..

6. yhe the 80 mm should just be mounted on the left wall...it needs an inch or 2 of clearance from the wall though so that the air will flow.

Oh we haven't relyy discussed the size of the interior box...I'd guess it would be about 5"w 10"t 8"deep. I'd jsut make it outta wood if yer able, I know ift can be a pain to get the proper tools but in the end it's worth the extra effort....you could throw together a cardboard one but I'd hope it's only temporary ;) You'll really need to cover it in duct tape or something though..I prefer gorilla tape.

The way the filters stay in place, by being slotted into the back hole then there that pieces of wood with the 2 holes in it sitting on the ground in that pic I drew....that piece goes over the filters and is secured in place...It holds the filter in place the same way mine is held.

7. [quote name='"Bongsauce"']yhe the 80 mm should just be mounted on the left wall...it needs an inch or 2 of clearance from the wall though so that the air will flow.

Oh we haven't relyy discussed the size of the interior box...I'd guess it would be about 5"w 10"t 8"deep. I'd jsut make it outta wood if yer able, I know ift can be a pain to get the proper tools but in the end it's worth the extra effort....you could throw together a cardboard one but I'd hope it's only temporary ;) You'll really need to cover it in duct tape or something though..I prefer gorilla tape.

The way the filters stay in place, by being slotted into the back hole then there that pieces of wood with the 2 holes in it sitting on the ground in that pic I drew....that piece goes over the filters and is secured in place...It holds the filter in place the same way mine is held.[/quote]
    Right on i wasnt tryna jump the gun on nething considering i havnt even ordered the fans or that adapter but tried to be productive today. Soo how would u go about mounting that 80mm fan so it has 2" of clearence?

And for that blasted box i will make it outta wood; better ply for sure..

Im still tryna grasp the wood cut out idea that keeps the filters secured..yeah theres no way im using cardboard! Lmfaoo

Maybe tonight or this weekend if you could maybe make me a filter box in paint with an illustrated parts list and captions for assembly?.. :D

The filters themselves seem the easiest part lol.

8. yeh the filters are super easy.

for the 80mm fan I'd just glue a piece wood wood to the side and mount the fan on it. In one of my cabs I mounted 4 little 1" squares of wood and attached the fan to that.

Yeh I'll work out some kinda design for the box for ya...I've just been kinda wingin it so far on sizes cuz I didn't know you planned on building anything yet :)

9. ill look for the mounted fan in ur threads if i can find it..

yeah i appreciate it man :))

those numbers u gave were just for the size of the holes to be cut in my cab correct?

the 4x9 was the vertical exhaust and 6 x 12 for the bottom horizontal intake?

how would u suggest i cut the exhaust section? a few inches away from the side?

same for the horizontal intake?

having adhd i randomly zone into doing things lmfao. i try to type everything out so i have a clean sheet of data before i make any big changes..

thanks homie :D look forward to the designs for the box

10. #70 Bongsauce, May 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
    ok so let try to figure out some dimensions...forget most of the previous dimensions.. ....it's kinda hard for me to design like this ahead of time..I usually just design as I go with all the plans in my head :p ...some things you might need to modify along the way.

first off..I just noticed that's there's a shorter bracket on the left side...maybe the box would fit more flush there, so we can flip the whole thing over to the left if ya want.

I'm looking at it like this - File cabinet will get 2 holes cut...intake and exhaust. Intake will be 6"tall x 12" wide...spaced about 2 inches up from the bottom(floor)
    Exhaust hole will be 4.5" wide x 10"tall ...spaced 1/2" from the top and side edges .

There will be a back cover piece with 2 holes in it pictured in post#61, lying on the ground. This piece will go over the filters holding them in place while still allowing airflow through the 2 holes. Also pictured on the ground in that post is a vent cover that will go over the holes to make it more stealth(optional)

A 6" x 12" scrublouver (lighttrap)will need to be built for the intake and painted black...I have a small tutorial in my thread, but I'm about to build another one and I can snap more pics if ya need.

On the box - These are gonna be inside dimensions! Each piece's size will depend slightly on the thickness of wood you use. I suggest 1/2 inch ply. Lowe's has small pieces of 2'x2' ply for cheep that's easy to get home :)

Box size inside dimensions should be 5"w x 11"h 8"d. If you have cardboard and ductape around you could mock up a prototype and figure if everything is gonna fit first. I'm not sure if the fans will need to be mounted on the outside of the box so that they clear the filters...you'll have to build it n see.

Allow for an access door on the front of the box so that you can open it and maybe squeeze some electrics in there if there's room...a 'door' can be as simple as a piece of wood that's screwed into place, it doesn't even need hinges er anything. The back of the box would have 2 holes for the filters to slide into....those are the holes that need to be 4 1/4 inches wide exactly for the filters to fit nice and snug, NO bigger! ...you should just try to get a 4 1/4' drill bit to do all the holes for the fans, filters, and the back piece. beg borrow or steal one.

the side of the box would obviously have 2 holes for the 2 fans. 120mm is 4.75 inches so I think with a 4 1/4 inch hole the fan would mount over it nicely with no gaps and room for screws in the corners.

attached pics of how my filter slots in place...this is what it would look like from the back of yer cabinet..(except 2 filters of course).this is the hole that's exactly 4.25"

Attached Files:

11. [quote name='"Bongsauce"']ok so let try to figure out some dimensions...forget most of the previous dimensions.. ....it's kinda hard for me to design like this ahead of time..I usually just design as I go with all the plans in my head :p ...some things you might need to modify along the way.

first off..I just noticed that's there's a shorter bracket on the left side...maybe the box would fit more flush there, so we can flip the whole thing over to the left if ya want.

I'm looking at it like this - File cabinet will get 2 holes cut...intake and exhaust. Intake will be 6"tall x 12" wide...spaced about 2 inches up from the bottom(floor)
    Exhaust hole will be 4.5" wide x 10"tall ...spaced 1/2" from the top and side edges .

There will be a back cover piece with 2 holes in it pictured in post#61, lying on the ground. This piece will go over the filters holding them in place while still allowing airflow through the 2 holes. Also pictured on the ground in that post is a vent cover that will go over the holes to make it more stealth(optional)

A 6" x 12" scrublouver (lighttrap)will need to be built for the intake and painted black...I have a small tutorial in my thread, but I'm about to build another one and I can snap more pics if ya need.

On the box - These are gonna be inside dimensions! Each piece's size will depend slightly on the thickness of wood you use. I suggest 1/2 inch ply. Lowe's has small pieces of 2'x2' ply for cheep that's easy to get home :)

Box size inside dimensions should be 5"w x 11"h 8"d. If you have cardboard and ductape around you could mock up a prototype and figure if everything is gonna fit first. I'm not sure if the fans will need to be mounted on the outside of the box so that they clear the filters...you'll have to build it n see.

Allow for an access door on the front of the box so that you can open it and maybe squeeze some electrics in there if there's room...a 'door' can be as simple as a piece of wood that's screwed into place, it doesn't even need hinges er anything. The back of the box would have 2 holes for the filters to slide into....those are the holes that need to be 4 1/4 inches wide exactly for the filters to fit nice and snug, NO bigger! ...you should just try to get a 4 1/4' drill bit to do all the holes for the fans, filters, and the back piece. beg borrow or steal one.

the side of the box would obviously have 2 holes for the 2 fans. 120mm is 4.75 inches so I think with a 4 1/4 inch hole the fan would mount over it nicely with no gaps and room for screws in the corners.

attached pics of how my filter slots in place...this is what it would look like from the back of yer cabinet..(except 2 filters of course).this is the hole that's exactly 4.25"[/quote]

Wow alot of good info bongsauce!! Im thinkn like said before ill tackle each step sliw n steady now to ensure quality and clarity. Im ordering the fans and adapter tonight off new egg. Next would be to cut the sliding brackets off the insude of the cab, cut the back bottom and sides of drawers and then cut intake and exhaust sections.. To that point iam confident not to mess up lol. My only question to their is because u mentioned earlier in ur last post that we were switching the sides of the exhaust? Sooo looking at the cab it be on the right side while the intake would remain the same on the bottom? Last q, what do you propose is the best tool to cut the cab with? Like drawers n back? I had metal sheerz but it started to get shitty on me lol.

Appreciate the post, looking forward to startn gettn this cab functional :))

12. oh when I said we could flip the box over to the lfet side that's only cuz I noticed there's a piece of metal missing on the left side and the filter box would fit mroe flush in the upper corner.

I'm not sure on the metal cuttin' I use mostly wood. Maybe a good hacksaw or dremel?

13. Sounds good to me. Smaller the teeth the better so itll be clean cuttn. Im ordering the fsns n adapter this evening And the cutting by tomarrow night monday latest

14. Good info here, This is almost exactly the same kind of build I plan to start up within a month. I am going to be looking for a locking file cabinet and going from there. I am possibly planning on a 2 drawer for vegging, then a 4 drawer for flowering. Both with the same basic design as you guys have brought up.

Bongsauce, you are a genius with all the info!

15. [quote name='"Im Stoned"']Good info here, This is almost exactly the same kind of build I plan to start up within a month. I am going to be looking for a locking file cabinet and going from there. I am possibly planning on a 2 drawer for vegging, then a 4 drawer for flowering. Both with the same basic design as you guys have brought up.

Bongsauce, you are a genius with all the info![/quote]

Yeah hes helped me sooo much already! Thats a good idea for the 4 drawer. Have a 2 drawer for clones/veg, 4 drawer flowering and a pc for a mother!

16. [quote name='"dirtyglove"']

Yeah hes helped me sooo much already! Thats a good idea for the 4 drawer. Have a 2 drawer for clones/veg, 4 drawer flowering and a pc for a mother![/quote]

My thoughts exactly! Veg until my 2 drawer is filled up, then move over to the 4 drawer to flower. From my understanding the plant nearly doubles during flower so this would work great.

17. [quote name='"Im Stoned"']

My thoughts exactly! Veg until my 2 drawer is filled up, then move over to the 4 drawer to flower. From my understanding the plant nearly doubles during flower so this would work great.[/quote]

For now im gnna jus get some autos or short flowrring indys and force flower em in the 2 drawer. I do have a pc in the works as well but wen u get thungs rolling would love to check it out. Certainly can learn from both grows and setups in their entirity

18. Sounds good to me. I will be moved into my new house in a week or so here, then il be hunting down a good filing cabinet. Good thing they seem to be abundant on craigslist.

19. That is great idea that you build 2 drawer file cabinet for your own purpose. For lighting I would say that natural lighting the best way to save energy but though you build at basement so that is not possible. You should try T5 lamps with dimmable daylight harvesting controls and Z Bar LED and Hafele LED lights as well. I must say that you should try ventilated wood closest system which is more durable with good finishing.

20. Just finished my PC build, looks pretty sweeet. Didn't include fans though, I'm just using this for early couple Weeks;)