2 different plants, 2 different problems

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by RedWidow, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Hey all, I have 2 different leaves I cut off earlier in the pictures below. From my limited knowledge, it looks like the 1st is a deficiency and the 2nd looks like possible burn. Could anyone identify these problems ?! Any help is deeply appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. #2 AugustWest, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    soil or hydro?

2nd pic looks like overfert.

1st i donno..

crazy question: do you smoke cigs?

3. Can you please explain the difference, between a deficiency, and nute burn ...? 

me?

is this a trick question? :p

5. Deficiency is lack of nutrient, nute burn is result of too much nutrient solution. And I'm growing in soil, and yes I do smoke cigs ! Does that have something to do with it do you think ?

6. #6 AugustWest, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013

i'm no expert, but that first pic looks like tobacco mosaic virus.
    there's a sticky thread in this forum somewhere that explains it..

not saying that's what it is because TMV can be misdiagnosed easily, but it's worth having a read.

your second pic looks like too much nitrogen was added to the grow..

what do you feed and what type of soil mix to you use?

also do you check your PH at all?

7. If PH is over looked, nutrient build up can create a lock on the plants ability to absorb nutrients. If this happens, plants can become sensitive to the heat under the light. What some would mistake as "nute burn" or "light burn" can really just be "heat burn".

Plants that have a monitored PH, proper soil moisture, and get proper air flow can absorb all kinds of nutrients without burning. That's why when you over feed a plant under a low wattage light in a temp above 76, you get burned leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. I've heard about ph problems, but the heat theory is new. It makes perfect sense ! Do you think ph test strips would work ? I don't have the $$ for a digital one sadly

9. And I completely missed your post August haha. Ill deff check out that thread on tmv ! 1st pic is in about 1/2 happy frog and 1/2 mg organic. The second is in about 2/3 happy frog 1/3 perlite. Just noticed all 3 plants (I have one more with very little problems) had similar problems I thought was a deficiency, so I picked up some mg orchid food, 30-10-10. Used 1/4 recommended dose. They are a month and two weeks almost, fed them at one month.

10. And I'm using 6 26w 1600 lumen cfls 6500k, and just swapped 2 for equal output 2700k cfls as I'm going into flowering next week

11. Save your money and hold out for the PH meter. And take an expert's advise (yes..that's me), buy the best meter available $60-90. Don't waist your time buying anything else, and do the research cuz the hydro shops will try and sell you one that they claim is good, but don't be a sucker! Don't buy cheap equipment, it's a waste of money that can go to something more valuable like proper air flow and carbon filters.

For now just forget about PH and try to enjoy your small grow. Don't expect too much from your babies if you plan on bringing them into a world that is certainly uncertain.

12. Yeah, the ph is the one thing I just completely ignored, I've just been focusing on his fast they've grown and getting nutrients. I'm thinking when this grow is through I'll make a journal with my photos, maybe your expertise could help me in my next grow!

13. Sounds like a fun project! Count me in!

14. #14 AugustWest, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    i'd lay off the food and give plain water at least till you flip over to 12/12

that MG orchid food is REALLY strong shit even at 1/4 strength.

i wouldn't use anymore of that for the rest of the grow. Find something a little more weed friendly when you're ready to give bloom ferts.
    that TMV thing was just a guess.. i have no personal experience with it at all, just that leaf pic reminded me of pics i've seen in the past.
    good luck man

15. Yeah, they sell a bunch of diff. Varieties of fox farm nutes at a nearby store, but only had 10 bucks for the next two days and it was 4 bucks but the 30 on the npk kinda scared me :p thanks guys, you saved me money and I got a little insight :)

16. fox farm is pretty solid.. even go 1/4 str with that till you see how your plants like it.

way easier to give more later on, than flushing your soil if you give too much.

you're probably good on N till harvest depending on that soil.. but keep an eye on the for sure..