2 150w hps grow lights.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by BlueBurryX420X, Jun 3, 2012.

1. I have a question. i just bought a 150w hps grow light and was not completely satisfied with the light it put out...so i was wondering if i bought another one would that be pointless or a pretty good idea...i dont want to spend another 150 on a 250-400 and have to get rid of my 150w in the process...itd just be alot more money that i dont have...but 60-70 would be just right... what do you guys think? would buying another one and running them side by side be about double the light? or no? idk....need some advice.

2. If at all possible, and assuming you can properly deal with the additional heat, I would sell the 150 and go with a single 400. Cleaner installation and it will be more efficient (ie you get more light/dollar). Short of that, nothing wrong with adding another 150, you'll double your PAR, lumens, etc. Again make sure you can deal with the added heat.

3. You can do it, but it will require you to grow in a different way to accommodate the footprint from the lights. They would have to be very short and have lots of horizontal growth in order to take advantage of where the light is.

What I did when I was in your situation was upgraded to a 400w hps and used the 150w to setup a small veg area for mother plants and clones. I have a perpetual grow going so I harvest usually every 3-4 weeks. I just add plants to flowering at different stages so while I have some finishing up I can have some just starting too.

But I would definitely suggest upgrading to a 400 at least because of the benefit of the extra light penetration. The 150watt hps doesn't really penetrate through the canopy nearly as well.

EDIT: Also, I don't know what kind of light you got, but I got a sun system self ballasted light, and another bonus that I got from upgrading was being able to setup a ballast outside my grow area to reduce heat.