1st Time, Need Some Advice :)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Midve, May 4, 2009.

1. I'm planning on growing in the woods next to my house and I have a question about what I should do about the soil.

Picture of the site: http://i43.tinypic.com/2ut50yv.jpg

The only thing I have access to is potting soil and I can't buy anything specific in my situation. Should I dig up the soil and mix it with potting soil? I'm not hoping for any outstanding results but all I'm hoping for is for it to grow (this is more experimental than serious).

Thank you! :wave:

2. Those pine trees might e a prolem for 2 reasons.
    1) they might lock sunlight
    2) Pine trees like more acidc soil, some im guesing the soil is pretty alkaline.

3. #3 Corto Malteze, May 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
    Big pine trees block light. The trees seem huge ther so are probably quite tall. You need 5 hours direct sun minimum. And as 40Sandblunts said, the soil will be acidic there but you can dig holes and add your own soil.

Here's an easy mix you can find in any garden store for cheap:
    You'll need to dig out big rocks in the soil at least or they'll have trouble growing. Check pH too. You want 5.5-6.8. Or you can have the pb of nute lock.

Add vermiculite if you need to hold water a lot (it doesn't feed the plant and can be a problem if it rains a lot there). I combine it with peat moss. When the peat starts drying out, water is transferred from the vermiculite to the peat. On the other side of the spectrum, perlite and builder's sand drain water.

I use: (my region is very dry)

-1/2 shovel composted horse manure, 1 cup blood meal, 1.5 cups bone meal, a bit od compost all mixed up at bottom hole (to avoid being dug up and to not burn roots). Leave bottom mix for 2-3 weeks to not burn. Mulch on top.

- the rest (doesn’t need to cool off):
    20-30 % worm castings (neutral doesn't burn) + 20 peat (acidic careful) holds water + 10 builder's sand drains water + 10-20 vermiculite holds water + 40-50 nursery compost 1/2 cup powdered dolomite lime to raise ph and add Mg and Ca. Mulch on top.

You should at least add composted manures and meals. Let sit for a few weeks prior to using. Then water with plain water most of the time. Add nettle tea (cheap) for veg (a few times in veg. stage), ashes (P and K) for flowering (spread on top when they flower), 1 tsp per gallon epsom salts (cheap in pharmacy) twice a season (Mg and Ca).

Also you may want to add a tarp so roots can't touch the acidic soil you have. It can happen that in the end of the season, when they grow out from their holes, they touch the acidic soil and start having problems (leaves fall off). But this was a grower who was in a very swampy, you should be good without it. The tarp should be placed around the hole but isn't necessary in your area I think. It's good to hold water longer too for guerilla grows. Buy a digital ph meter (cheap) to check soil in your area. Good luck.

4. TO COMPLICATED FOR A NEW GROWER..BUY THE BEST POTTING SOIL YOU CAN AFFORD; DO NOT MIX WITH NATIVE SOIL. BE SURE TO LOOSEN SOIL IN 3 FOOT CIRCLE AND 1-2 FEET DEEP, REFILL AND THEN DIG OUT SPOT TO HOLD A BAG OF POTTING MIX. ADDED WORM CASTINGS IS A GOOD THING. nO SUN = NO OR FEW BUD.
    :)

5. Thanks for the responses :D. I don't think light will be too big of a problem, there's actually a break in the canopy (I think that's what you call it) pictured outside of the photo.

Anyone know a good potting soil I should buy?

6. If your planting in re ground then you should mix it with about 20% native soil