1st time hydro!!!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by ChefGilla, Mar 16, 2009.

1. 1ST POST AS WELL!!! I am growing 4 plants right now under a 400 wat hps and some added fluorescents for veg.I am using the bubble bucket method with two 6 gallon buckets, 2 plants in each. I have some questions about my ppm though. So each bucket is holding about 3 3/4 - 4 gallons water plus nutes. I am using GH nutes. To start with I gave em 15-9-3 (mL) of gro, micro, and bloom for the whole 4 gallon res. I am following the nutrient calculator on GH website but didnt want to add as much as it said to since its only the plants first day with the nutes. Right now the PPM is coming out to about 560. Does this sound right? I plan to add a higher level of nutriens in a couple days and do plan for the PPM to hit as high as 1000. I will add pictures ASAP.

2. Hey Bud, you didnt mention if your plants are seedlings or clones? or what strain they are? Certain strains are more nute tolerant, while others need a lower dose. I thought the seedling ratio per GH was too low imo and I use the mild growth ratio instead, but I think that may not work with AK or Blueberry and other less tolerant girls..

3. Hey man, first time poster mistakes, my bad. They are clones that i just got from a friend who has grown the same strain (Master Kush) a couple times already. Yeah, i started the nutes low to get them use to it since they just came from water, i am not sure if that was the right thing to do though. I took what GH gave me on the nutrient calculator and took 30% of that which made it 15-9-3 (was originally 50-30-10 for four gallon reservoir). Its about 80-85 degrees in there right now. I just put a fan in to help it maintain a constand 80*. Should i raise the nute levels tom something higher?

4. Being clones, most strains can take nutrients as soon as they have roots. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly, start low, and just raise your ppm by about 100-200 or so every day until you've reached whatever GH recommends for veggin'.

If you haven't read anything about it yet, the Lucas Formula is a very simple formula for mixing your nutrients, specifically for growing MJ. Best of all, it's designed for use with GH nutrients. I recommend it for 1st timers, as it really simplifies mixing nutrients, and it's really easy to remember.

Good luck, can't wait to see those pictures!

5. Hey thanks for the info! I appreciate it all. Yeah i was thinking of doing the Lucas formula, actually i wanted to do the lucas formula in one res. and GH nutrient chart in another and compare the two. Due to bad timing on my part I wasn't able to do it. How am i going to raise the ppm by 100-200 a day? I have somewhat of an idea but is there a certain equation to go by or something?

6. I dont know exactly what GH reccomends, but just add your nutrients to your rez at the same ratio, but in small amounts. its really as simple as that, but if you really want to get into the math of it, lucas formula uses this equation:

________

let's your res is at 947 ppm. You need to get your ppm from 947 to 1330. Here is the equation:

((target - current) / target) * 8 ml per gallon * res gallons = Flora Micro (ml) double this figure to get Flora Bloom (ml)

Example:

((1330 - 947) / 1330) * 8 * 22
    (383 / 1330) * 8 * 22
    0.3 * 8 * 22 = 53 ml Flora Micro
    _________

to use this, replace the # 8 in this equation, with whatever numbers GH recommends for G-M-B, and do the equation for all three numbers.

This is much easier to do with the lucas formula, and I suggest you switch over, but it's up to you.

7. ^^^Awesome, thanks for the info. Pics coming soon!!!

8. Bad news, one of the plants snapped in half when i was toying with it today. Shame on me. Now i gotta go get another clone from my friend. At least i was only 2 days in and not a couple weeks or months. Any way i have some questions: The plants are starting to turn a little yellow on the edges and show some yellow spots. Any idea of what this can be from? I don't think it is nute burn because i have been adding very low amounts to them. The temp is between 80-85*F with 30-35% humidity at all times. Any ideas? They have only been in their new homes for two days so i am hoping as they get more use to it the yellow will fade away.

9. #9 Unclenugs, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
    dont worry about snapping that clone, it has happened to the best of us.

are you monitoring the Ph?

10. You would be suprised at how hardy an MJ plant can be, I have broken many plants some completely off but if you just tape it back up with some silver tape or electrical tape they will usually repair themselves and graft back together just mist the broken section lightly with water each day till repaired.

11. pH was checked today and it was high. I only have one of those test kits where you use the drops. From the color it showed it was around 7.0. Tomorrow I am going to get some fresh water and switch everything over to the lucas formula. I realized today that it will make everything much easier.

As far as the pH goes is there any way to get it down a little? Will adding more nutes do the trick? I do have some pH down but read that it can make the ppm really jump around. Also when I start the lucas formula tomorrow, since i am using a 400 watt hps with some cfl's for veg. should I use the ratio of 0-5-10 or 0-8-16? I read that recently the formula changed depending on what kind of light you are using. Tis true?

12. #12 Unclenugs, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
    your Ph is causing the yellowing problem. you need to get it to around 5.8.

best thing you can do is buy a Ph meter, but Ph test strips work great. Regular pool Ph strips and drops wont test the range you want. if you don't have a hydro store nearby, order some online asap. You might ask the guy you get your clones from if he has any spare strips, you never know.

I'm not sure about GH, but my AN lower the Ph a small amount, but at the concentrations you have your nutes at, it wont be enough. If you're at about 7 now, I would just add like three or four drops of Ph down per gallon, until you can test it.

*edit* I dont really know if the Ph tester you're using is a pool one, or one in the correct range. if it will show readings of 5-7 then you dont need a new one, that one will work.

13. Nugs, again thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I got the tester from my local hydro store but I am going to go back today and get some strips and talk to em about a deal on an electric one, it would be so much better in the long run for one. Anway, im switching them over to the lucas formula and i got a new clone from a freind. I just gotta get my camera workin now.