1st Time Hydro Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by cherokee91red, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Morning all, thought I'd start a log of my first hydro grow so if I run into any problems along the way I will have the community here helping me out. Thanks in advance for that. Little background first....

Equipment
    -Dealzer 3-ft grow box (Yes I know its too expensive and I shoulda got a HPS light, but this is what I got, so please dont beat a dead horse.)
    -(1) 23w and (2) 14w 6500k CFL bulbs for vegging now
    -2.5-3 gallon resevoir (havent filled it up yet to see), instead of the original 1 gallon container that comes with the box. I travel a few days at a time and need to make sure I have something that won't dry up to quick.

Chemical
    - Whatever nutes that came with the grow box, opinions or recommendations on these appreciated.
    - pH ing the water down to about 5.5
    - Adding 3 mL/gal of calmag for the resevoir

Subject
    - (1) White widow, I forget which seed bank I bought from, I'd know the web page if I saw it again. Whichever bank it is, the seeds are essentially unviable. Out of 15 seeds to attempt germination, 2 germinated. One of them a few months ago and sadly it died to a calmag definciency which I learned about on this forum. The other 1 is now. I used paper tower method, which didn't work. The only 2 that germed did so by putting the rockwool in a small level of water inside a small tupperware. Made sure rockwool was saturated and left a little water below for them to soak up.

Pictures are of Day 1, the old resevoir compared to the new one, and day 2.

Attached Files:

2. looks good. i know you said not to say anything but my only concern is that when they get big that 3 gal. res will empty real quick. mine drink a gallon a day almost and i have 2, 5 gal. res. check my sig. oh and don't want rockwool too wet. just moist. too wet and roots will drown. jm2c

3. Day 3, Day 4, Setup, Day 4

The container ends up holding almost 4 gallons.

Attached Files:

4. Day 5, 6, 7, 9

The last photo, the leaves look a little droopy, is this something to worry about/remedy?

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. Guess the droopiness was nothing to worry about, sprang back up today. Added 1/10 nutrients this morning and am letting the roots out of the resevoir to air out for a little bit.

Attached Files:

6. Havent been around in a few days but all is going pretty well on this end. The other day I decided to germ one of my new seeds from Herbies Head shop. A feminized royal queen sour diesel. Because the Widow was from a batch of regular seeds I don't want to grow for a month or so only to find out its a male. She hasn't broken the surface yet but updates will come when she does.

Attached Files:

7. Explosion! Upped the nutes by about 300%, left town for a few days and it took off. The new SourD is poking up and has a couple real leaves opened up too.

Attached Files:

8. #8 cherokee91red, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
    Been upping the lights a little too. I now have 5 CFL's. (3) 6500K bulbs putting out a total of 2450 Lumens and 42 watts, (1) 5000K Bulb, 1600 Lumens and 23W, & (1) 2700K, 900 Lumens, 14W. This totals out at 79W and 4950 lumens. By the time they go to flower I hope to have another box built so I can build it a little bigger and move them over and start a new duo in the smaller box. So these wattages will only be used for the vegging stage.

[EDIT] Check out my new box here, http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/1211666-2nd-box-perpeutal-grow.html

Attached Files:

9. So did a flush today, got what I think is decent root growth on the widow, the SourD is still pretty small. Upping the nutes a little more to about a 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup proved the plants can handle that well. On Day 22 from germination for the widow and day 7 for the SourD. Going to start some LST on the bigger one today too.

Attached Files:

10. The widow has responded well to the training so far and is really looking good IMHO. There is a slight crisis however. I was gone most of the weekend and my resevoir emptied out to much for the SourD. I came home this morning to a droopy girl. Poured some water right on the rockwool cube and refilled the resevoir and she seems to be recovering. Just a slight delay in her growth I hope.

Attached Files:

11. Here's the LST

Attached Files:

12. Well, after trying to nurse the sour diesel back to health she just refused to continue to grow so I ended up pulling her today. Heres to hoping the widow turns out to be a female. In regards to the survivor it has taken well to the LST and since I have a bunch more room available fimmed it this morning so it can branch out a bit. Been upping the nutes a little at a time and no sign of nute burn yet. Main stem is nice and thick and new nodes are popping open about every 1/4-1/2 inch. The newer sets of fans have 9 leaves too, so overall pleased with the progress.
    Day 30 from germination

Attached Files:

13. Switched over to 12/12 yesterday in the new box. Tied all the branches down to help spread it out. Looks like I might have a little cal/mag deficiency developing, dropped in a few extra mLs and see if that helps take care of it.

Attached Files: