1st time grower with a new plant

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by littlecizzle, Aug 26, 2011.

1. #1 littlecizzle, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2011
    Hey guys im a first time grower with no resources for growing. My brother gave me a little 5inch or so plant with its first 4 pronged leaves startin, Its in a plastic cup with some soil and its in my closet with a halogen light feeding it. I need to know what i would need to do to continue the op. i know the current setup wont last much longer. ive included pictures below. Oh and btw im on a smalllll budget and it might be moving to a new home soon so i need a way to keep it discrete still. i dont want a huge plant when its mature id be fine with a small plant after its done flowering. What do i need to do to make it grow and keep it health? I feel like such a noob ive been smoking for close to 20 and have just never tried to grow :confused_2:

2. Your plant is stretching. Halogens suck ass and wont do anything for you. Stretching means your plant is trying to reach for the light. Read all the stickies on the top of the forums concerning growing and lights. Go buy some CFLs from Walmart. Your plant should not have all that space between the nodes. If you continue to use that light your plant will get longer and simply fall over.

3. Thank u i just found a reptisun bulb and light in my room would this work? its a 5.0 UVB Light. Oh and its Hg. The fixture i have for it says 25 watts is it all good?

4. Oh and when should i think about repotting it and how would i go about doing that and what kind of pot (size)

5. Go to Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes. There are two kinds of CFLs. You can get a 3 pack 10-15 bucks.

They sell CFLs that are labeled Daylight Bulbs...those are suited for veg growth. They will also be labeled usually as 6500k

When you go to flowering stage of your plant you will want Soft White CFLs they label them as that and 2700k bulbs.

Read read read. 99% of all questions are found in the grow guides on here or google it. What your asking is very basic and addressed in all of them.

6. Read a grow guide on it :)

7. ive looked through all the grow guides i found on here and none answer the questions i have in enough detail. A step by step extremely detailed one would be ideal.

8. Should already be repotted. Size...up to you. want a big plant get a big pot, small plant get a 2-3 gallon pot.

htgsupply.com good source for stuff. Look in your town to see if there is a hydro store. If your in a big city 99% chance there is one you just might not know it exists.

9. What should i do about the excessive space beetween the nodes?

10. Fix the lighting, bury some of the stem in the soil it will auto correct itself in time. MJ grows very fast like crazy fast.

Once you grow and harvest you will fell sooo ripped off that for 20 years you been paying. You wont ever go back to buying. Good luck.

If you read the stickies, guides, other posts on here it ill give you about 80% of what you need to grow successfully. Rest you learn on the fly.

Its very hard to give step by step directions as everyones grow is different. Some use HPS, CFLs, LED lights. Some use hydro, soil, grow outside. Tents can be as small as 2x2x4 or occupy a whole room etc etc etc.

All the advice is general for the most part.

11. :smoke: You should read some more bro. The more you know the better you grow! :wave:

Start with the Stickies of course!

12. Dude good job listening to rhapsody. I sent this shout out earlier. Dude if you do all this basic stuff you will be fine.

Thank you GC my 2nd batch is awesome! - Grasscity.com Forums

13. Rhapsody seems very knowledgeable :hello:

14. It's hard to tell how big that container is in the picture, the yellowing of the leaves looks like over watering, how often do you water, only water when the soil is dry, if not it's nitrogen deficiency: mix worm castings in with neutral PH water to fix this.

Repot to a 6 gallon pot, don't use nutrience everyday feed when intructed to do so on the nutrient bottle or else your plant will get nute burn.

15. I believe i may have been over watering. And i am looking to keep it a fairly small plant 3-4ish feet is that still possible? if so how would i go about making it happen?

16. UPDATE: :hello: its been a few weeks and heres whats happened a few leaves died and got plucked and a few leaves didn't come in fully but after the transplant to a bigger pot the leaves have started to fan out slightly more any advice????
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. How is she looking Any advice? I was thinking about when i repot it i would bury some of the empty stem would this be ok?

18. Yes you can bury the stem a little and it will make roots out of where you bury it from. Also move the light closer it looks like you have a flouresent those can be 2 inches above the baby that's why the stem is so long she is stretching for the light. What kind of nutes are you gonna give her?