1st time grower questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SpaceManSmoker, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Ok so as I said I am a first time grower trying going get one started. But there's still some stuff I need answered so if anyone could answered these or send me to a good growing website that'd neee great. So my grower space is an attic space so my plane was to set up white tarp to make kind of a seperate area for the grower. (Btw I'm planning on 4 plants).
    1. I know that'd I'm using HID and MH but I'm not sure when and how much to use.
    2. What would be a good way to ventilate the area. I was just going to have one fan blow in and one blow out but that'd doesn't seem right.
    3. I couldn't really find anything on watering so anyone tips on it would help.

2. 1. HID lights refers to the entire light assembly. HID = High Intensity Discharge. There are two kinds of bulbs...a MH or HPS. MH is suited for veging your plant, when you switch the lights to 12/12 to flower HPS is best suited. You can grow start to finish with HPS, MH start go grow is not advised.

What do you mean how much. If you do not know the light cycles I would suggest you look in the forums on here and read the stickies, then google grow guides. A invaluable book in my opinion is Cannabis Grow Bible..buy it.

2. Read read read. Inline fans are used most often they can mate up to a Carbon Filter for odor control. Grow Lights by High Tech Garden Supply | Your Online Hydroponics Store.

3. Watering is easy. Pick it up its light time to water, heavy don't water. Cannabis doesn't like to be kept in a saturated state.

Honestly and no offense but if your asking this your not ready to start really. Since you already have you need to spend a evening reading. The questions you asked are critical to the plant and you won't make it if you don't know those.

As for what good growing website...this is about the best out there. At the top of every forum are stickies are basically threads like this but are permanent. Also google is your friend.

3. 1. Wait... what? You're sentence reads 'I know that would I am using high intensity discharge and metal halide but I'm not sure when and how much to use'

This makes no sense. HID and MH aren't really terms that you put together. A metal halide lamp IS a kind of high intensity discharge lighting system. A high pressure sodium light is also a high intensity discharge light.

I'm unsure what you mean by when and how much to use. You'll want at least 18 hours of light per day in vegetative state. Vegetative would most likely use a metal halide light.

In flowering, you'll only use 12 hours of light. This requires a high pressure sodium light (HPS).

2. You will need odor control. Most growers get caught due to stanky odor emerging from their property. Get odor control or an efficient way to vent smelly air so nobody can smell it. In your attic, you still may be able to smell them from the street without odor control. Also, they WILL smell up the rest of your house from the attic more than likely. It'd be smart to get a carbon filter, then run a fan sucking air through the filter and exhaust that air out of your grow space. This setup can be bought as cheap as $120 I think for the filter and fan together. Google it.

You need to exchange the air, just not mix it. Bringing in fresh air, and exhausting it is important. You can do both these by simply making a passive exhaust. A passive exhaust is simply a hole where air can come from. In an attic, I wouldn't even worry about that, you've got plenty of places to pull air from. Just exhaust the air outside the room and it'll pull new air in.

3. Water generally 2-3 days. Don't be afraid to let your plants dry out. Never water 2 days in a row, it's bad practice. Watering isn't difficult. Simply watch your plants. Stick your finger into your soil and feel if it's got moisture. If you're still unsure, wait until your plant wilts and gauge when you'll need to water next time without having it wilt.

Good luck!

4. Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it! This is exactly what I needed and haha no offense taken I know i'm not very close to starting yet, just trying to get all the info I can.
    Thanks Again