1st Time Grower - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by NoBanhammerPlz, Nov 27, 2012.

1. #1 NoBanhammerPlz, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
    I currently have 8 or so clones vegging in a semi-open closet under one of these and a 2 foot and 3 foot SunBlaster:
    HTG Supply - HTG Supply 2 Foot 4 Lamp High Output T5

The Setup
    They're in a closet space of about 3 feet across and 2 feet deep with a lot of vertical room. There is no door on the closet so I taped up a white sheet to the top of the doorframe and usually leave it hanging out a bit so that the fans and open window nearby can ventilate air through the room. They're in a bunch of different sized round pots, a few pretty large ones (not ideal for my setup to say the least) with a mix of some OSH organic soil mix and Happy Frog mixed in some.

They are a bit cramped and I plan on attempting to move one or two plants out of the space and putting them in some sort of veg chamber if possible because I don't think theres enough room for them all to bud in such a small space.

I noticed before that, even with our two 6 inch clip-on tracker fans blowing constantly on them they developed some powder mildew on the leaves. I tried treating it by spraying them and the closet and room their in down heavily with a hydrogen peroxide mix whilst removing infected growth, and trimmed the bottom portion of the plants where a fan blows air underneath them.

As far as I can tell the symptoms have seriously slowed or halted but I don't think it will remain this way. I plan on purchasing these to try to combat the powder mildew further:

Amazon.com: Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer: Home & Kitchen

Amazon.com: Acu Rite Indoor Humidity Monitor: Home & Kitchen

Am I on the right track? Can anyone add any helpful insight that might save me trouble? I have used the search function to look at other powder mildew problems as well as many other micro grows so please don't say anything if that's all you have to offer, as it's not of much help :p

That's it, any advice or constructive criticism is appreciated. :wave:

2. #2 Kitsunè, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
    let's see some pics!

I was thinking of using 3% hydrogen peroxide if I get any mold problems

3. Thanks. I'll see if I can get some up tomorrow if I'm not too busy.

4. Well no pictures still sorry guys. But I did get the portable dehumidifer and temp/humidity gauge installed. The temperature seems to fluctuate between 72-75 and the humidity was 62 when I first checked. Right now it is fluctuating between 55-60, usually around 58.

I plan on purchasing another lighting fixture for when I throw them into bloom cycle. However my concern is that with such a high humidity, the powder mildew problem would probably return even stronger.

Any advice for a 1st time grower? Over 150 views and no help yet is a bit discouraging :/

5. heard some one talking on humidity they say in veg have it around 70-75 then when flowering has begun down to like 20-30 to prevent mould :) hope this helps

6. I def think that ur humidity is to high @ 70-75. U should keep it near 60-65ish. In flower I like to keep it closer to 45-55% range. Well good luck and don't despair.

7. UPDATE

I purchased a Penetrator 336x to add to my garden. I noticed upon adding it that the humidity dropped from 55-60% RH to an impressive 41% and the temperature went from 73 to 82.

Within an hour of adding the lights I return to the closet smelling like a budding room! guessing they like the spectrum haha ;)

The closet is still currently overpacked and I am considering maybe putting two or three plants in a veg box I have almost finished and running the two single sunblaster's I have in it while the others bud with the T5 Fixture and Penetrator.

Another problem I have is its difficult to keep both the LED and the T5 fixture hanging next to each other in the small closet space and I don't see much of a way for me to hang it sideways as I originally planned.

8. How do you control the humidity in your setup? I'm not sure how to go about doing this as the dehumidifier I worked doesn't do much. Raising the humidity I figure shouldn't be too hard as I can spray water.