1st time grower, a couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Froggums, Mar 15, 2006.

1. As the title says, I am a first time grower. I got 2 seeds in a bag one time and decided to see if they would grow. They did, I have 2 plants. They have been growing for about 2 1/2 months under 24 hours of light. I don't have the money to invest in an expensive system, I have 2 flourescent grow lights on them, and they are in regular potting soil.

The bigger of two has started showing signs of flowering... Is this normal? I didn't get any good pics, but there are definitely pairs of white hairs that have started coming out of the nodes all over the place. So she is definitely a lady... but is she trying to flower even though i haven't switched her to a 12/12 light cycle? I'm not sure what to do, I would like the smaller plant to grow a little larger before I change the light cycle and let them flower- but it is ok that the definite female is trying to flower under continuous light?

Next question, this time with a pic! My bigger plant has been having some problems, some of her older fan leaves have been getting spots on them. What coule be causing this, and is it going to kill my plant?
    [​IMG]

Ok, just one more question for now- The smaller plant seems to be a bit of a mutant! A couple of the leaves at the top of the plant are twisted. Now, thet arent curled up or down, they are making wierd spiral shapes. What could have caused this? It seems to be a very healthy plant, about half as tall as the other one, but 3x bushier. Oh, and it reeks! I'm hoping it turns out to be female as well, because that smell has got to mean the plant is potent. Anyway, back to the mutant leaves- Anyone seen something like this before?
    [​IMG]

2. it might be nutrient deficiencies... have yyou been feeeding it anything?

3. That makes sense for the plant with spotty leaves, but what about the spiral leaves?

I feed them with fertilizer spikes for houseplants. They say 13-4-5 on them.

Also what about keeping the plants on 24 hours of light when one is showing signs of flowering... is it ok?

4. Yo buddy.
    Do not concern yourself with the twisted leaves and preflowers. Sometimes plants do this. As for your fertilizer spike I don't think those are the greatest things for growing pot. The problem is that you have no way of controlling when and amount of fertilizer to be released and this may be the problem with the spots. My recommendation would be to get fertilizer that you can mix into water yourself and has something like 20-20-20 to start. Good luck.

5. I wouldn't use 24 hour light on the plants showing flowering...flowering is regulated by the light cycle and using 24 hours light would make the plant switch back into vegetative growth. Flowering you should stay 12/12 the whole way through. I think some strains take a little more or a little less darkness to make them flower, but 12 hours of darkness is supposed to be the amount needed to cause flowering.

6. Err...I'm sure you already know that. Glad to be helpful...hehe.

7. The mutant leaves actually means that your plant is actually an alien in disguise and it will most likely kill you one night when you least suspect it.