1st time grow, 2 weeks in (socal)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by WeedBastard, Mar 24, 2012.

1. hey whats up man. im a local outdoor grower(norcal) and have had a few successful crops in this area. im going to post a blog on here shortly, feel free to check mine out. i just wanted to give u a heads up for growing in this climate....bud plants are really sensitive to heatstress. some parts of socal reach upwards of a hundred degrees plus in the summertime, like the area i am growing in. but heat will straight up kill these guys. having them in a partly shaded place is best, somewhere with maybe 3 or 4 hours of direct sunlight. or onother option is solar screens. hit me up if u have any tips or questions. good luck

2. Thanks dood, ive got an eye on the soil moisture and added a good layer of mulch today. ill be keeping the temp of the pot in mind for shore. pray that they're female with me.:D

3. Rained heavily but held steady at about 60 degrees all day. theres a chance itll clear up but i still kept the ladies in the garage infront of the window. decent light and its warmer in there than outside.:bongin:
    ill keep it updated with the LST once the clouds clear up and we see da ladies start picking up alittle more momentum regarding maturity.:hello:

Attached Files:

4. I waited a little bit too long to do the LST on mine and now they out of control no matter how I pin or tie them(indoor grow 5 gal buckets). I read some threads on LST'ing plants but never thought to start them as early as you did. You seedlings look good. The shade trick is a good idea. I got about 8 oz' per plant last year and my yard is shaded completely after 11:00 am from Jun-Aug. only direct light they got was from 6:45 - 11am.

5. thanks! yeah the sun's path gets blocked for about 3 hours a day for me around noon, but in the morning and evening light is primo! on hot days i hide them under a nice suncloth. yeah i also couldnt resist the thought of LSTing them asap haha. i figured they'd thicken up as they snaked around the pot.:D ive got a good feeling about this season.. cheers!:smoking:

6. In confused. What is lst? Is that a term for topping them? I'm looking forward to seeing some new pics of your girls also!

7. Keeping in mind that the apical tip of the plant is like an antenna for sunlight, when you force it to stay down (whether it be consistently staking the main stem down, or securing it to the lip of the pot) it compensates and grows the next closest part of the plant hit by the light. if you control the canopy and keep the tip of the plant the same distance from the light as the rest of the plant, then the whole plant is working equally efficiently and not just the one tip that grows the closest to the light. LST means the first node will produce just about as much as the last.

and thats all i gots to say about that :) and it just so happens i took pix since the clouds moved out this morning!

Attached Files:

8. oh and LST stands for Low Stress Training :laughing:

9. Thanks for clarifying that. I've fine that before with bigger plants. I just top at a younger age nowadays. Makes the branches grow much faster. Usually top them at the 4th internode. Look at this lil bush

Attached Files:

10. :ey: im willing to try that with one of mine.

11. [quote name='"WeedBastard"']

:ey: im willing to try that with one of mine.[/quote]

U won't be disappointed

12. Or you could top it a bunch of time then bend the branches down just prior to flowering. It is supposed to maximize you yield.

Attached Files:

13. [quote name='"Kronicly Insane"']Or you could top it a bunch of time then bend the branches down just prior to flowering. It is supposed to maximize you yield.[/quote]

I am a fan of that method. Keep em bushy as hell but about five feet tall. Get about a pound a plant that way

14. some clever methods, i must admit. im planning on staking up the secondary growth after the stem is all pinned down. in my head its great but i needa see it happen haha:D

15. [quote name='"WeedBastard"']some clever methods, i must admit. im planning on staking up the secondary growth after the stem is all pinned down. in my head its great but i needa see it happen haha:D[/quote]

You are doing well for your first grow. No doubt about that. You only get better the more you do it

16. The experiment is progressing, ive got my stalk pinned between nodes. anxiously waiting for the new 5'rs to fill in so i can pin them too! ;) still lettin the soil dry up from the moist weather/ recent nutes.

Attached Files:

17. Looking great bro. keep the updates coming.

18. lookin mean n green, the suncloth is workin wonders on hot sunny days like today.:smoking:

Attached Files:

19. Haha excellent! I just started my first grow about 3 days ago. I'm sure I'll be following yours just as much as I'm updating mine. Cheers!

20. lets do this! i already know this years gonna be good :D