Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

1st time edible use bad experience from too much or serotonin syndrome?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by 90s smoker, May 16, 2022.

1. I got a gift of a gummy from a friend to try for back pain. Fused neck w/cage, etc... Been on pain pills for years. I ate half gummy without knowing it was a full spectrum 200mg gummy. I had a really bad experience. No pain but got way too high to point of terrible anxiety. Threw up and took some activated charcoal to try to pull some out of system. It was bad. Couldn't move. Felt paralyzed. Locked up sitting. I was way too high. Took over 12 hours to feel somewhat normal. I'm better today but could there be longer-term effects? I also take Cymbalta daily. Could these reactions be linked to Cymbalta interaction from serotonin overage like serotonin syndrome or just too much with zero tolerance? Kind of scared to try small amount now. I was a heavy pot smoker twenty years ago but I have a feeling things have intensified since back then.

2. Potent weed isn't new but it is more available. It's still the same plant it's always been. But edibles are much stronger than smoking because delta 9 thc changes into a more potent form of thc (11-hydroxy-thc) when the liver processes it, which doesn't occur when smoked.

Smoking lasts much shorter, takes effect much faster, and is liked by more people because of these reasons largely. Many people find edibles to be too intense and last too long. That being said you could try a much smaller dose like 5 or 10 mg to start. Also CBD can help to mitigate the negative effects of THC so having some handy could be a good idea as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. First off Welcome to the City.
    You did the equivalent of Chugging a fifth of 100 proof Alcohol. 200mg is a HUGE hit as you found out. You'll be fine as there is no lasting ill effects from a massive dose.
    Start at 10 milligrams
    Wait 2 full hours
    If not stoned
    Take 20mg more
    Wait 2 more additional hours
    It not
    Take 40mg more.

Keep doubling and waiting between until you find that sweet spot of just enough but not to much. It takes a few tries to get it down pat. Edibles were always ass kicking. The batch of brownies I made in 1977 were so strong just a few crumbs would send you off to the moon. We just never took the time to work out a "Nice" mellow dosage. Since I now use edibles as pain control it became first and foremost to find a functional dose that I could take every day and not be hammered into uselessness.

75 milligrams is where I landed.

BNW

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Update: I had no pain in my back until last night. Yesterday, I walked my dogs a short ways and felt so great. Just remembering what life was like without chronic pain. Im waiting 2 more days til I try again. This time I am cutting remaining half into 10 pieces? I think that will work. Around 10 mg a piece? I want to find that sweet spot without pain but where I feel somewhat normal. I have a hospital bed and take medicines for nerve and musco-skeletal pain every day. Ive had two neck fusions and done all interventions on back I can. Im supposed to see a back surgeon in June but maybe I won't have to. I am in a state where medical marijuana is STILL not legal! Its such a crime against humanity to cage a plant that can help people so much! Any ideas on division? Will each piece be pretty consistent?

• Like Like x 1
  5. It should be a very consistent dose per cut size or weighted portion as infusing THC into an oil distributes it fairly evenly.

The old timers knew what they were selling back in the patent medicine days of the 1890s. Cannabis infused Alcohol (Snake Oil) really does cure or relieve the symptoms of so many things from your rheumatism to your lumbago. :) It's only when I sober up to much that all the little nagging pains of a lifetime in construction have caused wake up and want to be heard again. This elbow, that wrist, that knee, the entire back and the list goes on.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1