1st official grow - cabinet, soil, cfl

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by PhL0aTeR, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Thanks man, i managed to crack a smile despite my disappointment in these bagseeds... lol... but the cabinet is worthless if i cant get anything to grow.... fingers crossed

2. Excellent thread. Your approach seems similar to mine, read up and find out any possible problems down the road and over-engineer to avoid them. My stealth issues are a little more strict and so construction is a slow and tedious process. (not to mention being next to broke [buy food or grow box parts....) But when I'm finished with construction (or run into insurmountable problems) you can all be sure I'll post up. I've decided to go with the fan you've used, after seeing the performance of 2 of them. (thank you that has been a huge help in getting my price lower for exhaust/filtration) My grow is going to be about half as high so I think that should cut it.

Consider my chair permanently pulled up to this thread.

3. +1 rep
    good luck dude, do you think you are maybe having a hard time since they are bagseed and not stuff you bought form a breeder? If you're still having a hard time, I've heard people buying "germination hormone" with success as long as you don't use it at full strength. Before I start growing, I'm going to experiment with that and bag seed before I'd use something like that on seeds that run 60-100 bucks.

4. Probably so, but if you wanted to know why, the answer is in bold.... lol.... i havent heard of a germination hormone, ill have to read up on that and practice on the seeds ive got left.

The stuff i grow with bagseed, while i hope it turns out well and i can use the product, is basically a stepping stone on the way to the seeds you speak of.

I'm hoping to learn all i can while doing this so i can get it down to a science and can help my fellow locals (as well as you guys) with information to build something like this and be fairly self sufficient...

Thanks for all the good comments...... right now i cant wait 2 days..... should see my lil trooper peekin up outta the dirt :hello:

5. sorry to see you guys had a hicup!

i'm making a lot of progress, i have all of my materials except a little hardware ( screws, fasnters and shit )

finished this today

[​IMG]

will be my exhaust to the carbon filter.

6. copy cat..... lol j/k.... looks good!

7. dam i just went through your whole thread you really got me excited for my plant he is only a few days old but dam

8. OH SHIT... .SPEAKING OF EXCITED!!!!!!!!

Can you see it? hahaha... i feel like a proud papa!!!!

[​IMG]

9. what are the dimmensions of that cab?

10. roughly 5'x2'x1'

11. okay so about same as mine.. mine is only 12.5 deep and it seems so small..

12. it is small... lol

13. More discouragement.....

well, the sprout is dead..... i didnt want to overwater it so since i saw some condensation on the inside of my clear planter, i skipped last night and this morning the soil is cooked and so is the plant.....

on the upside, we tried to germ all the seeds we have left and theres one cracked and ready to go, were going to let it continue and put it in soil tonight.... I may have to do some more research on watering...... common sense tells me if i would have watered it last night, it would still be alive. but on the other side, i keep reading not to overwater it because when it gets dry, thats what causes the plants to grow strong taproots.... :confused:

14. shit i'd like to know too... i was told 1/16th cup of water every day until it sprouts then cut the watering until it needs it

btw i got my cab done!

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/296951-newbie-growlog-cfls-soil-closet-grow.html

15. Well, for anyone following my situation, ive got a temp problem.... I'm going to try and drill a few more holes for intake, if that doesnt do it, im going to redesign my exhaust/scrubber, because i think its too restrictive..... i wish i had some kinda meter that checks CFM on the exhaust to see how much im moving.......

16. Hey man im not sure how you are germinating the seeds or if its just a bad batch of seeds but you should follow this germination guide, helped me get 100% germination from all my seeds http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/15076-germination-420-a.html

Also with watering, i had 3 gallon pots that i soaked completely and after germination i planted them in there under 600w MH bulb about 5.5 feet from the plant. You might want to try and get the lights further away from plant. That might be a better resolve then trying to make more intake holes. Hope this helps, goodluck

17. #117 PhL0aTeR, Nov 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2008
    were doing pretty close to that, except we have the germination going on in the cab because there isnt a spot we can germ them that stays above 70 at night.
    everything that ive read say put the lights as close as possible without touching? :confused:

Anyway, i doubled the intake holes in the bottom, did away with the kickplate and put everything back in.... hopefully this will keep temps down, ill know in about an hour or so.

18. Temp is holding steady at 79 and my fans are not on at full speed. :hello:

19. mine is sitting around 85-90 at full speed, what are you doing different than me?

i thought about moving my box into a closet, and using a space heater ( or cooler ) to adjust the closet space to help with the grow box

20. I doubled the holes in the bottom and removed the "kickplate" (lack of a better word for that peice of wood that goes along the bottom).

Basically i freed up the intake so theres more air going in.