1st official grow - cabinet, soil, cfl

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by PhL0aTeR, Oct 27, 2008.

1. #61 drewzilla, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
    I'd buy a filter off of you in a heart beat

hell, i'm thinking about driving to target today and seeing if they have the cabinent so i can just follow in your steps

how hard was the light harness to make? that looks like another thing i'd fail at

i think i'm going to give the light harness a shot today.

did you go with 3/4 or 1/2 inch pipe? also, how are those sockets attached?

and what gauge wire is needed to do this safely.

my home depot has the porcelin sockets with a pos/ground wire sticking out, i figure ill just run wire through the pipe, have all of it come out at a central location, then take an extension cord and cut the female end off of it so i can attach all of the pos/ground wires for my sockets. is that safe?

that part doesn't seem to difficult ( if i've got it right in my head ) i think the hood is what will set me back, i'm still a little uneasy about the riviting thing.

2. the only really difficult thing was the mass of wires at the final junction that all had to be soldered together. A bigger diameter PVC would have been easier to work with, but it can be done with the 1/2"
    1/2", but a larger one would have been easier to work with, and i dont see any negative effects of a larger frame. I attached the sockets with a machine screw all the way through the PVC with a nut on the other end.
    Id say 16g stranded is the smallest i would go, 14 is better, and i think is what i used.
    If you are uneasy about the rivet thing, just grab some dome head machine screws and nuts to match and use those instead.

[​IMG]

It will look just as clean, but not as permanent. I just used rivets because i like how they dont unscrew... lol

3. went shopping again...... there WILL be some seeds in a moist place by the end of today!

:hello:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. well I just made my first trip to ace hardware. picked up this stuff:

think those light bulbs will be powerfull enough?
    [​IMG]

( just kidding )

didn't like a lot of the stuff they had, and didn't bring a list so i forgot what i was looking for. still debating painting the inside of the cupboard white or buying a roll of mylar.

i'm about to put my order in at the hydroponics store that sells fox farms brand. im getting the exact same soil, but i was going to get all the different nutes, is bloom the only one i need?

5. im not big on the growing.... trying to convince my better half to join up ofer here on GC so we can tag team questions like this, but she is over on rollitup.org and she is handling everything in the dirt, i handle everything else.

Anyways, from what i read, mylar = $$$$$ and emergency blankets = $ but are practically the same thing....

6. hah, i'm on rollitup too. does she have a thread going? i'll have to take a look.

thanks for everything, this thread has been amazing thus far. I've got some feminized white widow seeds and i've been trying to motivate myself to this going for a month now.

7. BTW, think you're going to sell those pre-made carbon filters? i'm trying to duplicate ( as best i can ) your box exactly, so i'd love to be your first customer haha

8. her name is warbird over there.... were starting out with bag seeds, then will move on to more expensive investments ;)

at this time, id have to say no, only because id have to front the $ for the parts and whatnot.... if i did it, id take a like 50% now, 50% upon completion kinda thing. Plus im not really happy with the way the carbon is contained, so ive actually been trying to brainstorm a better way to do it....

Oh yeah.... an update.... ive got seeds in a nice warm moist place ;)

9. well, if you change your mind i'd be more than happy to send money up front. i can even overnight it with UPS since i do the shipping & receiving at work hah.

10. I'll keep ya posted.... like i said, im not happy with the way the carbon is contained... .rather, the lid i had chosen.... i had to manufacture that out of a 4" end, some screen and leftover steel from the hood.... its like... the way it is now, it needs specific instructions... and i dont feel comfortable selling something that needs specific instructions... id rather make it idiot proof, but still make it totally user-servicable (and rather easy) to change the carbon once it needs it, but other than that, totally plug and play.

11. thanks for the help with the dimmer PhLOaTer. I just went and bought one from lowes, probably could of found it cheaper at walmart, but lowes is like two blocks from my place lol. The only problem is that i can only turn the dimmer down very little, if i take the little adjuster to any thing less than about 3/4 power my fan doesnt even turn on, and its real touchy to the speed adjustment....but for like 15 bucks i cant complain, it made my cab almost completely silent.

12. Damn.... yeah, it was 9 and some change at walmart.... glad it worked for you, also, if you got the same one as me, the last area of the slide is an "off" position and a little green LED comes on. Do you have a need to turn it down lower than the lowest spot it will make your fans run on?

13. I keep getting ahead of myself for some reason, but ill talk about that in a min...... anyhow.... if it wasn't clear enough, we put 2 seeds in the dirt today, so this is the OFFICIAL start of growing, i wont post any more pics until we get some sprouts.... Why am i starting with 2 seeds? Because im just experimenting for now.... This is going to be a grow free of any kind of techniques to make sure we have a handle on the soil, nutes, ph, watering, etc.

Now on to why i was getting ahead of myself. I have to make a conscious effort to keep myself grounded sometimes and this is one of those situations. After this successful grow, my REAL plan comes into effect. I will divide the cabinet with that permanent shelf, install 6 light sockets for CFLs on that board and install it to where my veg plants will have about 1.5' of i will germ 6 seeds in the hopes that at least 2 are female, and if more than 2 are female, we will just pick the strongest 2. Those 2 plants will reside in the bottom or the "veg" section of my cab. they will receive LST, and when ready to flower they will be moved straight up to the top (Flowering section) where i will take 4 clones, and then they will reside back down in the veg compartment. By the time im ready to harvest, i will have already chosen the best 2 of the clones and they, too, will be ready for the flowering room and also be ready to take clones from and the process goes on and on. I'm shooting for a harvest of about 2-4 oz every 1-1.5 months after everything is "running" smoothly.

14. made another trip to the store.. target today

[​IMG]

got that stapler for 7 bucks. should be good for the mylar

[​IMG]

and a nice little fatty

[​IMG]

15. what are the dimensions of that cab? was there not a white one?

that stapler def should do the job, but then again ive never worked with mylar, but i would think just a regular desk stapler would work for that.

also.... FAIL on not removing your child safety on your bic..... :lol:

16. 59 1/2 x 24 x 12 1/4

only one they had, they had like 10 of them all this color. all the other furnature was white though hah.

any tips on how you cut the hole out for your vents? i have a drill, do i need some kind of saw too?

17. Well, im sure a dremel would do it, but another option would to be is to buy one of those tools they use to drill holes in doors for doorknobs and attach that to a drill.

Also, I would recommend you use ticky tack for the emergency blankets, not a stapler.

18. What kind of vent do you need to bore a hole for? I have several intake vents i put in the bottom floor of the cab and i used a 1" wood bit for it

[​IMG]

a regular drill bit would work for thopse types of holes, but 1" is pretty big and this is the only type of bit i had that would do it like that.

if you are cutting straight lines, a jigsaw works wonderfully. a small hole with a drill to start then work the jigsaw around, which is what i used to cut the large rectangular hole for my scrubber. If you have a harbor freight around, this place is constant win... tons of stuff there for cheap. My new drill was like $15ish and my jigsaw was $17ish.

My cab is finally seeing some fluctuation in temps, its up to 82 right now, and from what ive read, 10-15 degrees of fluctuation between night and day is good. Right now im just playing the waiting game with my seeds.

19. #79 richirich_99, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
    hey PhLOaTeR, here are those pics of my cab thats the same as your's. here how i have my SOG set up.

The upper area is the flower area.
    [​IMG]

The bottom area is my mother/clone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also threw in a pic of my of my small plants that are almost done, this pic is from about a week or so ago, plan to harvest next week, and put the first 4 into flower to start the true sog...the first 4 i grew were a trial run to make sure it would all work out.

20. ^ nice work man..... any way those pics get any bigger after opening em up?

on another note, i have been keeping the doors tightly shut with a 24" clamp on top of the cab..... ghetto.... here is my fix....

[​IMG]

and installed

[​IMG]

i gotta find something else to do while these are growing.... lol