1st official grow - cabinet, soil, cfl

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by PhL0aTeR, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Nice start so far, the cab looks great. Your thread is motivating me to go build my cab. Only problem is that I'm short on cash, but maybe I can get something put together for cheap. :)

Keep it up!

2. #42 bcos_i_got_high, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2008
    yur a little messy with the caulk arnt yah lol jk everythings lookin really good like uookaa says its makin me feel the need to mess around with my setup haha mine looks like ive hired a few 5 year olds to come do it compared to yours haha
    how are u, doing good?

u got intake sorted out 2 ?

3. looking good man keep updating

4. my buddy gave me shit about the caulk too..... lol.... "the excess is for vibration dampening purposes".....

^thats my story and im stickin to it :cool:
    The intake is the holes in the floor. I was thinking about a filter for it, but i think instead im just going to rely on the strip of fabric i still need to staple to the back part on the bottom. I figure as long as i throw the idea of filtration out there, if someone needs it, they will do it. One thing is, its tough to find a filter thats 22"wide, and i cut my holes to wide for a 20", but i was actually thinking about taking a 24x10 pleated filter and hacking it up and turning it into a 22.75x8: lol

Now that im pretty much done, im starting to think about cycling and having 2 separate room like someone mentioned earlier. I figure i can do veg on the bottom and flowering on top and just use my "under canopy light" idea can just be for veg instead..... might wait for my first grow to be successful before i go changing my design.

5. Weather stripping is great stuff for light and air tight sealing around the door. I would have been screwed without it.

I love how you are going DIY with everything. I did the same thing and I must say, it is so much more fun that way! You learn a great deal in the process and it enables you to make a growbox that is custom tailored to your needs/situation. On top of everything else is super cheap to make it come together in comparision to the "ready made" solutions.

It looks like you are all set! You won't regret working out the details in advance, especially the odor control.

Time to get your grow going :D

6. Thanks man, im actually really excited about the exhaust/filter setup.... since i sealed the inside from liquid, the paint smell is still in there a bit, and i didnt want to leave it outside, so when i took it in, i finished it up, sealed it and ran the lights and fan to help cure it. Nose right over the fan and i dont smell a thing. Plus with the extra powerful fans, i can crank it way up, the filter still does the job, but theres so much air moving plus its noisy, sounds like a small turbo prop airplane taking off, lol... but to the point - im glad i wired it to the dimmer switch. It gives me every possible area of the spectrum that ill ever need, so its better to get more and use less, than to get less and want more (as far as CFM goes).

7. I have heard that sometimes the dimmer switches, when you are using them at anything besides full power, can actually increase fan noise because the fans weren't meant to run at that rate. That is what I have heard, but I have not experienced it personally as I have never integrated a dimmer switch for the fans. If noise becomes a big issue, there is always those dual ball-bearing computer fans I mentioned :D

Tigerdirect.com sells an "Ultra" brand 120mm dual-ball bearing computer fan for under $20 that puts out 80-ish cfm with only 43db of noise.

If sound isn't an issue (for stealth reasons) it sounds like you are set :cool:

8. what kind of dimmer are you using? could you take a pic, im in need of a dimmer to adjust my exhaust fan.

9. #49 PhL0aTeR, Nov 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2008
    That is not the case in my situation ;)
    Its optimum performance level is well under the level I described of it running at full power. Its on right now and i dont hear it running...

Leviton Lamp Dimmer
    Stock photo:

[​IMG]

I got it at walmart for under $10. I also modified it fairly extensively.

10. I wish i could tell you I put some seeds to germ today, but i didnt. Seems my better half is not as motivated as I am, but she is the green thumb so im relying on her for the growing part of this..... anyway, I found a remote thermometer that i cant find the remote to..... funny thing is, i can see the remote temp so i know its around someplace.... lol... Anyhow, pay no attention to the remote temp, seems like i can keep a pretty steady 70-75F in here with it empty.

[​IMG]

11. is that with lights on or off ? with my light on it reaches around 80 and through the night it drops to around 70 so i supose thats ok for where im from the weaathers always shitty and cold lol and my window dosent close properly so i have a nasty draft constantly! what seeds do you have? cant remember if you said previously!

12. thanks for the pic of the dimmer, im going to look into getting one of those for my fan to see if it helps quiet things down just a lil bit. good luck with the start of your grow, hope you get lots of females.

13. damn that's bad ass, wish you were closer, i'd pay you to make one for me hah

14. It was at night with the lights on. Honestly i havent been around to see what it is during the day. If my temps are off, i may need to bump the fans down a bit, they are moving killer amounts of air, but im not trying to fine tune it, just get close to a baseline cuz ill fine tune when im growin something.... As far as seeds, right now im just experimenting with bagseed... when i get it down to a science, ill spring for a seedbank purchase.

No prob, ill probably go into more detail how i modified it when i make a dedicated post for the DIY scrubber, but just a hint, you need something plugged in to the cimmer to get it to work. Since i wired the fans right into the dimmer switch, i didnt have anything to plug in, so i dug out the middle part of the female plug on the dimmer and took an inch long coat hanger, bent it to look like a staple and stuck it in there, sealed it with some of the caulking.... good to go.

I actually was wondering how much i should charge if someone wanted one. I imagine if i had all the shit it would take me 2 days at the most..... materials were less than $250.... how much would you pay for a grow cab like this?

As for everyone else, i have a list of stuff to get tomorroww and i hope to have some seeds germin tomorrow night. Was gonna take the easy way out and see if i could get a few clones, but thats not gonna happen, and i need to pay my dues anyway, so its better that i start from scratch.

Stay tuned....

15. i wouldnt think twice for something like 400. i was at home depot today and started gathering stuff before giving up, couldnt figure out how to piece stuff together

16. what are you having trouble with? Lay your questions on me, i bought most of the stuff at home depot....

17. Yeah I would pay $375-$400 for something like that; no hassle, and for the most part, neat and tidy (*cough* caulking *cough* lol)..

Nice setup man, I was gonna do something like this too :hello:

18. i'm just not handy

like, making your carbon filter, i'd never be able to do that. i only have a few basic tools ( shit drill, dremel, and hand tools ) and usually screw everything up

i also don't know what riviting is or how you rivit something, and god forbid i have to put holes in something heh

i was also having problems finding that kind of cabnent, they had one similar at home depot but it was 90 bucks.

19. with the dimmer having to have something to be plugged in to work, would it work if my exhaust fan already has a male end/ standard plug and just plugged it directly into the dimmer? im going to walmart, the hydro store and lowes to day to get a few lil things and just to look, and would like to get one of the dimmers but dont want to have to do too much DIY electrical, im not real comfortable with it yet, but still playing around learning. I've thought about making a few boxes for friends....and what people would pay, i just might offer to do it. keep up the pics, cant wait for the grow to start.

20. stop giving me shit about my caulk!!!!! (thats what she said).... lol

Ive actually thought about building this scrubber and selling it for people who dont have the tools to do so.
    Hand rivet guns are less than $10, i did a quick search and found this informative site

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-use-a-pop-rivet-tool-198523/

I had to find my cabinet at Target, (reg price for here was $49, they had it on sale for like $37ish) home depot had modular cabinets that were way $$$ walmart had nothing....

if your exhaust fan already has the capabilities to be plugged in, then yes, you dont have to hack up the dimmer switch AT ALL, just plug the dimmer switch into your power strip and plug the fans right into the back of the switches plug.