1st Micro grow (got some questions too)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by SewZz, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hey Im starting my own micro grow after seeing how much success others have had and have done alot of research. I have 4 seeds just finishing germinating and ready for planting. Im only gonna grow 2 max, but have others incase of a boy. Gonna do 18/6 at first and see what happens. Still gotta buy nutes(wont use for 2 weeks to avoid burn) and lights.

Now my question will this light setup work?
    Philips - Mini Twister Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulb - 23 Watt, 4 Pack - 234229 - Home Depot Canada

Atron - White Lampcord with Switch - 6 Feet - LA945 - Home Depot Canada

Atron - White Porcelain Socket - LA938 - Home Depot Canada

Im not sure if those sockets will fit the light bulbs. Also if wiring multiple lights, would it be better to wire in series or parrelel?

Thanks, Ill be posting pics once setup is complete

2. Ive seen pics of people using light sockets that plug directly into an outlet. Anyone know where to find these?

3. Home depot or lowes. Any basic hardware store or electrical shop

4. So my micro grow is going really well so far and Ill upload pics later. Just another question... If my light schedule is slightly inconsistent, will it ruin my grow?
    Ex. On the days I dont work I have my lights running from the afternoon for 12 hours. But If i have to work evenings, Ill put the lights on when i get home and let em run into the night.

5. The inconsistent lighting will stress out your plants you should purchase a timer.:smoke:

6. #6 SewZz, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
    A timer is not the issue. I just don't want the box on while I'm not home and my family is haha Id rather be there to control snoopin around.
    I'm thinking it wont have a huge affect but just asking. I figure in a outdoor grow, you get some days sunny but some days aren't. And this doesn't screw the plants up too bad so shouldn't mess mine up either

My setup is in a pc currently with 1x 6500k 42W CFL and 2x 2700k 23W CFL and I have 3 more 23W lights and another 42W 2700K CFL which i will add in abit. I got 3 plants goin right now, incase of males, and will pick my best female to flower. They are approx 2-3 inch away from light. Lined with foil in the pic but I bought Mylar and will be lining with that tonight. Anymore questions just ask.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Plants sprouted 3 days ago btw

7. what you doing to mask the smell?

8. Ill either make a carbon filter to go over the fans or whatever that gel is called that removes odors. I wonder if a box of baking soda would help mask the smell since it does when you put it in the fridge or bathroom....

9. Plants will benefit much more from the lights if the sides of the bulbs were facing the plants, maybe some y-connectors if space permits.

10. you shouldn't be growing in your parents house if they dont know. are you really willing to put them in jail if for any reason you do get caught up? if you have roommates, parents, siblings or peers, they should be aware of what you're doing because you're putting everyone at risk. think out the consequences before you partake in the sacred and forbidden trade of growing mary jane. good luck:smoke:

11. Yea I thought about that yesterday too since it'll allow me to add more lights. As for getting caught, the majority of people in this thread have to keep it a secret from who they are living with, or else they wouldn't be doing micro grows inside pc cases lol.

12. #12 SewZz, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2011
    Just updating on my progress!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Do you think they are tall enough for LST yet? And which branch would I tie down?
    Switchin to 12/12 tommorow. Have been on 18/6 for two weeks now since seed

13. Bumpp! Im switchin to 12/12 tonight, and as of this afternoon the top 2 leaves formed branches, and more sprouts are coming out around the stem. Pics lata

14. Only thing i could suggest man is if your case is wide enough mount your lights sideways. The cfl's put out most of their light from the sides so it will help your plants out. It will also give you more room when they start flowering. What are your plans when they flower? Just let them go or you going to try and scrog?

Best advice I could give as I too am still on my first grow. But plan before you plant. And use this first run to soak up as much knowledge and lessons as you can. A lot of great growers around here on the site. Just have to ask questions.

15. Hey your plants are looking pretty good so far :smoke:
    But ive read that you should have about 100 watts for 1 plant, and an additional 50 watts for extra plants.

Also I was wondering what kind of reflective stuff you used to cover the walls cuz ill be starting my own pc grow this week.

goodluck on the grow :hello:

16. Im planning on doing some heavy LST, and am actually thinking about starting that now, I just don't know where to start lol got more reading to do. And I am planning on mounting the light sideways, I just gotta figure out a way to securely attach the power bar to the side of the case. Someone suggested velcro tape

17. Its mylar, otherwise known as car windsheild reflectors. Got it at buck store. Also I've got 2x46W CFL's and 2x23W CFL's and both plants seem to be doing great

18. unfortunately sewzz it will cause stress to your plants. if your veggin, it will cause slow, stunted growth, weak stems, weak root systems. if your flowering, plants must have a 12hr uninterupted period of darkness. any inconsistiences in this light regimen will cause the same problems as in veg.. but most importantly it will cause enough stress to cause plant to hermie out. yes outdoor plants get moonlight but its in a different spectrum so it doesnt affect them like a streetlight would...and whether its sunny or cloudy a plant still gets the light it needs just not in the same strength. but it gets consistent light as long as its daytime.

but your grow is on point...is your box lightproof? if it is why would it matter if the light r on while your gone? if they peek in, they wouldnt be able to see it. would they?

keep doin what ur doin plants look great...holla:wave:

19. #19 SewZz, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
    Thanks for the response bro. The lighting schedule was actually all sorted out so that they got a full, consistent 20/4 for 2 weeks. There is actually really good ventilation in my box however it is not light proof and actually makes my closet almost glow haha I wanna reduce light but I fear it will hurt ventlation.

edit- Each plant now has 6 branches with full leaves and another 2 coming on each one. Im ready to LST now?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Yeah you are good to start lst'n a little. You just want to get the plant growing in the general direction that you want it to in the next container you move them into. After you xplant into a bigger container then you can really start to train them since they will be in there for a while.