Grasscity - Black Friday Sale - up to 70% Discount

1st Journal. hope this is right.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Peace420, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Hi all, this is my 4th grow. First grow used basic nutes from hardware store, second grow I used advanced nutrients jungle juice and big bud, 3rd grow used canna Terra line. I have a little bit of everything left so using up all of those on this grow.
    Light is a 600hps son-t plus, I have in intake box fan and exhaust outtake fan with an occelating fan inside the room.
    Soil is a mix of canna professional soil with added perlite and worm castings mixed with a bit of seed raising mix. On my last grow one plant with awesome bud got stressed and hermied, I'm trying those seeds as told they should be feminized. Going home tonight where I'll take pics and measurements of room etc. Any advice welcome! Peace!

2. Nice! I always hear a lot of bickering over using hermied seeds... some warn that they are more prone to herming from stress because they carry that gene. Not sure how true that is, only way to find out for sure is to try tho

3. #3 guesswhat, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
    Agreed with bryleetch.

My general understanding is the seeds will be feminized and more prone to hermie under similar conditions the mother experienced. My advice is going the same whether or not you believe they are more prone to hermie, but plan to grow them anyway. Don't subject them to the same stressors; as you now have additional insight on what your plant doesn't like, you could even consider it a bonus. You know something your plant doesn't like and probably are getting a better idea for it's desired nute and water uptake.

4. The mother plant hermied due to severe heat stress but its winter now so no chance of that happening, so hopefully all daughters. I'll prob put a clone off a different mother plant in to just as a back up incase tho

5. Can't figure out how to upload pics, read thing in beginners section that you need computer and got to upload onto a photo site then paste link here, I don't have a computer I just use my phone for this. Anyway I can i still put photos up somehow?

6. Try going to a photo site like imgur.com and uploading from your phone. Find the link code for message boards and forums and you're good.

Good call on growing with an additional mothers clone.

7. #7 Peace420, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
    Another friend told me today he used seeds from hermied plant and all were hermies in the end, good bud but riddled with seed. Maybe I should just switch to 12/12 even though their babies just to see if they are female or Hermie? I know my yield will be tiny but it would save a lot of wasted time and money if they are Hermie. Got plenty more seeds to go again if there female or could clone them

8. If you flip now and they seem to be female, they could still hermie later in the grow.

If you have other seeds I would grow a few of those as well. Then just keep the girls and chuck whatever does hermie. Then again I may not need as much i my harvest as you so it's ultimately up to you.

9. Ok, so after researching more and help from a few people here and on another forum here's my update. 5 of the babies are pumping along beautifully, 3 are not looking good I think to much nutes or possibly over watering. Bubblegum clone is going ok, I put some holes in bottle to let it adjust to room temp and humidity. Got a bloody ant problem in grow room though. There everywhere. Lights are still on 18/6 until clone is ready to have bottle removed then switching to 14/10 for a week like advised then 12/12 for remainder.

10. Why the week of 14/10 before 12/12?

Hope the 3 plants pull thru ok for you. Ants are shit, I just dealt with them in my house. Got a few stragglers still but I hope you can eradicate them.

11. 14/10 to speed up preflowering so i can sex them and also reduce stretch a bit. Never tried it and figure only way to know is to try it. The 3 not doing well are real light green except the veins in leaves which are real dark green. Put ant baits around for ants but 2 days now and not slowing so I've also been doing a lot of thumb squashing hoping they get the hint haha
    What did you use to get rid of the ants?

12. Cool I hope it works out better that way, I've only done straight to 12/12. As far as diagnosing plants I'm bad with deficiencies or toxicities. Google "cannabis deficiencies chart" and that'll give you some help. Otherwise there is a sick plant thread and plenty of knowledge with diagnosing among other members here... just not me :p

For my ants I did a lot of vacuuming and squashing to rid the masses during the bad rushes. It was like fighting ants with boss waves every now and then haha. But I used ant baits, traps and gels of all kinds. Kind of went overboard.

What seemed to work best would be the Raid Gel. That stuff they came flying out (sometimes literally) for. They eat it and bring it back to kill the queen and nest. In addition I used stuff that ants would eat and die from elsewhere, usually out of the nest. Found plenty dead that way. Those are the plastic baits they walk into to eat. Lastly I used TomCat glue traps meant for mice. It's a sheet of paper you fold into a box, or leave flat. I left it open flat faced and put it near their entrance and exit area of my door frame. They walk out for that delicious smelling Raid Gel and a lot get trapped with just one foot set on it. It's super strong. The ones that fly and get around it end up getting that Gel and I'm guessing it killed off or deterred the queen and nest. I'm not sure as they still pop up here and there.

Long post, hope it helps somewhat. I didn't want an exterminator if I didn't have to because of my cats, but for many it could be because of their plants.

13. Yea ive always gone straight to 12/12 once there around 50-60cm. But always used clones or femanized seeds so happy to wait for bigger yield, this time seeds from hermied plant so don't want to wait all that time just to chuck em if there hermie, I'll update how the 14/10 goes when I do it. I have the plastic baits ants walk into but will look for the gel to try thanks for tip. Peace! (Except to ants)

14. Well hardly any ants now so plastic baits must have worked alright. The clone has gone 24hrs without bottle over it so should be good. I'll call her Hope because she is the only one 100% guaranteed female. Built a tray to go under all of them at once with a vacuum cleaner hose going into a plastic bottle to collect the excess.

15. Well hardly any ants now so plastic baits must have worked alright. The clone has gone 24hrs without bottle over it so should be good. I'll call her Hope because she is the only one 100% guaranteed female. Built a tray to go under all of them at once with a vacuum cleaner hose going into a plastic bottle to collect the excess.

16. Well hardly any ants now so plastic baits must have worked alright. The clone has gone 24hrs without bottle over it so should be good. I'll call her Hope because she is the only one 100% guaranteed female. Built a tray to go under all of them at once with a vacuum cleaner hose going into a plastic bottle to collect the excess.

17. Sorry haha don't know why it posted 3 times

18. sounds great dude you should upload some pics :) just click more reply options and then below the text box it let's you attach images

19. IMG_20150413_213139.jpg IMG_20150413_213159.jpg IMG_20150413_213206.jpg
    Thanks for the tip! Here's my girls, the real small one is the clone, the bushy one has at least 3 tops and I haven't topped or trained it... Weird but cool

20. Well not much to update other then switched to 14/10 a few days ago, giving them another 4 then switching to 12/12. Fingers crossed for girls