1st journal - Cab/CFL/Soil/Bagseed

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by PhL0aTeR, Jan 26, 2009.

1. go back to the first post.

2. Just chillin'.:hello: Wait'n for the vidz.

3. no mo vids dood.... sorry, that last one was my last, when i moved from the cab to the laundry room, my usb cord is not long enough.... lol

although typing that just gave me a killer idea for my unused laptop...... hmmmm

4. Mental note..... wilty leaves = shoulda transplanted last week..... i transplanted them today because i woke up to them wilted like a weeping willow... googled wilty leaves and found its mostly caused by the pot being too small. The biggest one had nothing but roots bunched up trying to get through the pot... I swung down to walmart and picked up some of their food grade buckets you can get at the bakery for free :hello:

I drilled small holes all along the bottom about an inch or so apart for drainage.... unfortunately they gave me 2 different sizes and i have 2 big (50lb) and 2 small (42lb) and id like them all in the same size so ill post pics when i get the other one done.

5. man plants are lookin g great hope there all girls :)) looking good man

6. Man how they grow.......

Sunday morning they looked a bit droopy, so i did a bit of research and found that i needed to transplant, so i picked up some big buckets for free down at walmart (go to the bakery and ask for the big white buckets, they have 2 sizes, 50lb and 42lb. they come with lids if you ask for them) drilled several holes on the side as close to the bottom as i could get for drainage, and transplanted them. They are doing MUCH better, as you are about to see....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. #47 newgrowNY, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
    they look good... did you drill holes in the bottom or just on the bottom sides?

Your soil looks like its drying out already. My two big ones in 5 gallons at that size took about 1 gallon every 3 - 4 days. Wish it was still that way but now close to 2 gallons every 3 days, w/ about 25% runoff.

Edit: may just be the light in photo but watch that yellowing on the leaf margins and some spotting on bottom leaves...may be a mag def.

8. just on the sides, 1/8" hole about every inch or so
    i fear overwatering.... i dont think im watering them that much..... i soaked them after the transplant, havent done anything else yet
    good lookin out on the yellowing..... i tried to post up in the sick plant area a few weeks ago but nobody had anything to say..... lol

9. I know it would be hard at this point, but try and drill some holes in the bottom before the roots get down there.

I think its a magnesium issue... between the yellowing / brown spots on some leaves and a little tacoing... I use magical, but also can use calmag+, at about one teaspoon/gallon on my waterings without nutes.

When you transplanted how much water did you put in each container? How often are you watering and do you check how much runoff you have?

10. not knockin the advice, i just like to know why i do things...... so why?
    ive been reading that i should add anything till flowering, I assume if it needs something, i should add it anyhow? I'll check into the mag stuff next time i get out.
    I didnt measure how much, but probbaly about a gallon each..... i didnt measure runoff, i just watered till it leaked out the bottom. and i havent watered yet since transplanting sunday night.

11. #51 newgrowNY, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009

So that there is good drainage and you dont get root rot, the holes around the side will help but the center mass of soil may get waterlogged (most store bought black pots have holes on sides and bottom). I keep my plants raised up a bit so that I have good air flow under them. Keeps the soil nice and aerated

I've never heard not to give your plants anything untill flowering. If your using good soil like FFOF you may not need to give them much, but if your plants showing signs that it needs something then its time. I've been giving big bloom since week two and grow big since around week four, although only 1 tspn per gallon. I have also given Magical when not using nutes at 1 tspn per gallon.

I just switched to flower a few days ago and now giving Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom, Magical as needed now and then.

A gallon should be good for now, mine get real thirsty and almost take two gallons, but thats with 25% runoff. I was originally only watering till I had some runoff but they never seemed fully watered. I posted in the "So you wana Grow..." thread and OCITOWN and JCJ77D bolth advised to water with around 30% runoff, and they have given a ton of great advice. You want to water more than just leaking out because you will have dry areas of soil. I give them half the water and let it soak in for 15 minutes then give them the rest.... they have been great since.

Heres my big girl
    2-19-09-1.jpg

12. nice..... thanks for the tips man.... ive got big bloom, ill check into the others soon, as well as drillin a few extra holes.

13. #55 PhL0aTeR, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
    Alrighty.... its been a few days since ive watered..... i think i see some signs of sexing, but first.... a group photo

From Left to right, we have #5, #1 and #6
    [​IMG]

This is #1.... Female?
    [​IMG]

ZOOM ZOOM!!!!

[​IMG]

This is #5.... Female?
    [​IMG]

More ZOOMage

[​IMG]

#6 had no signs of sex, yet, but if #1 and 2 are both girls, it wouldnt break my heart if #6 was the only dude...

14. yea definatley females

15. Time to break out the pink bubblegum cigars, you've got girls! :hello:

16. #58 PhL0aTeR, Feb 23, 2009
    :yay::yay::yay:

Thanks guys, i had a good feeling..... my chick is very good at spotting vagina, so she saw them right away and pointed me to them.... lol

so at this point would it be wise to just go ahead and scrap #6? Even if its female, its the runt, I only need 2....

Can you practice cloning with a male plant?

17. #59 coffeeandherpes, Feb 23, 2009
    If you want to start flowering asap, then yeah you could scrap #6. You have your two girls that you'd like to flower.

You can certainly pratice cloning on a male. How are you going to clone? There's a nice article on it in April 2009 High Times, they pretty much say just make the cut and plop it on some soil. I'm on the tail end of my first cloning experience, for which I chose a bubble cloner. I had 100% success (8/8 developing great roots), so I'd like to just say that this method is extremely easy. Just pH'd tap water (evap'd for chlorine), I added nutes on day 10 or 11, I can't remember which (day 12 is today).

Anyway, grats again on the girls. When are you going to start flowering?

EDIT: Just because I'm still extremely excited that my clones are doing well, here's a quick shot of what they looked like a few hours ago
    [​IMG]

18. very nice! not sure when i want to start flowering.... im still thinking about the best way to maximize what ive got