1st journal - Cab/CFL/Soil/Bagseed

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by PhL0aTeR, Jan 26, 2009.

1. #1 PhL0aTeR, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
    Welcome new viewers, as well as the ones that follow from my original thread, where i bumbled my way through the cabinet build and a few failed germinations!

If you want to know the whole story, please feel free to go check out my original thread, otherwise let me just bring you up to speed.

Cabinet: 1'd x 2'w x 5't
    Lights: 6 24w Daylight CFLs 24/0
    Exhaust scrubber: 2 120CFM 110v Muffin fans pulling through 2oz of activated charcoal.
    Medium: Fox Farm Ocean Forest organic blend mixed 3:1 with pearlite
    Germination: Soil

[​IMG]

1-08-09 After a handful of failed germinations, i chalked it up to bad donated seeds, and put an order in with attitude.

1-09-09 Picked up a decent sack of mids that happened to have a few seeds in it, so i picked through it and found 6 really nice looking seeds, and germinated them in jiffy pots poking them 1/4" under the soil. I figured it would give me something to occupy my mind while my seed order was shipped.

1-12-09 First signs of germination in one pot.

[​IMG]

1-13-09 Looking a lot better

[​IMG]

Later that day, a new addition

[​IMG]

While i was there, took a pic of #1

[​IMG]

Even later that day, i see another one poking out....

[​IMG]

1-15-09 #4 was born

Had some heat issues later that day, that ultimately claimed #2,3 and 4.

[​IMG]

1-17-09 #5 was born

1-19-09 #6 was born

1-21-09 RIP Babies #2, 3, and 4. :(

[​IMG]

Long live newly transplanted #1, 5 and 6!!! :hello:

[​IMG]

1-23-09 Pics FTW!

[​IMG]

1-25-09 More pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alrighty, now you have been pretty much brought up to speed, from now on I'll use this thread to update the grow, with pics, so stay tuned!

2. Looks good, can't wait for the progress.

3. just got done with my first time lapse vid..... i was learning, so this one is kinda lame, but it was the early stages, so still cool IMO.... Enjoy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrRlHrVwQB0"]YouTube - MovieWtunes[/ame]

4. neat vid! seems like you have too many frames and makes it lapse super slow ha

5. yeah, like i said, im a n00b, but have learned a few things about it, so hopefully the next ones will be less painful to watch.... lol

6. Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your posts. They have been very helpful. I am making a bbox for my first indoor grow. On your light how did you mount the sockets onto the pvc pips. I have been thinking on it and can't come up with any thing. all the sockets i have found are for parts for lamps or just have the to wires coming out. do you maybe have a link to the sockets you used or and advice to help me out. thank you for your time. Keep up the great work.

7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks, basically a socket with a small metal tab with a hole, i got some long machine screws with nuts and went all the way through the pvc to mount them. Hope that helps.

8. Thank you and thank you for the quick reply.

9. anytime, good luck!

10. I will definetly pay attention to this journal....I watched while the grow closet was built and was very impressed and cant wait to see these plants grow

I will be using many of your techniques when I start growing which wont be for another 9 months but I know that watching your grow will make me eager to grow my own.

11. isnt it exciting???? :hello:

Thanks!

12. Just in case anyone is wondering, i pull them out of the cab once a day to mist the top of the soil. I fear overwatering, so its been a few days since they have been soaked and from what ive read, letting them dry out is good for them to develop good roots..... i havent really figured out how long to let them go dry for though, and its not black and white because every pot depending on location dries out at a different rate..... they still look healthy though, so i guess ill let them go for at least another day. when i do water or "soak" them, i water until it runs out the bottom, and call it good.

[​IMG]

13. :( that can't be good, but I'm sure things will turn around :D

14. Well, at least theres not any discoloration on the new growth, but i decided i needed a new PH meter because mine reads 7 whether its in distilled, tap, or purified water...... or lemons..... lol

Here are some updated pics....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. showing my n00bness, i took the PH meter back to the place i got it from and they said that it only reads in soil..... so if i wanted to test the Ph of a lemon, i would have to squeeze it in soil and then test it....... but sure enough she stuck the stupid thing in several different plants and it read different for each one..... Anyhow, long story short, my Ph is perfect thus far..... ive now learned that you dont need to wait for flowering before you start to smell the plants.... just like smelling roses, you push your nose close to these babies and inhale and you get the feeling you just cracked open a ziplock of the dankest shit youve ever scored..... in other words it smells really good.... lol

Time for me to go scrutinize the Sexing thread, as i will soon have to know which one of these lette kids is a troublemaking boy

As usual.... pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Everything is lookin good PhL0aTeR! Plants look healthy and happy. I bet your cab is happy to have some green in there too ;)

Keep the pics comin, looks like this will go well for you

17. first off good job on your cab it looks clean, impressive. its good to see people start off with a good idea of what they are going to make. Your plants are looking great, keep up the good work. how old are they?

your video was bad ass man. how do ya do that? i would like to set something up like that in my cab.

18. #20 PhL0aTeR, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks!

Thanks
    #1 DOB - 1/12, #5 DOB - 1/17, #6 DOB - 1/19
    Step one is webcam, step 2 is time lapse video software. I am using Flix (www.nimisis.com) to make short clips, then i am using MS windows movie maker to put the clips together and put music to it. I am tweaking how long between screenshots so the vid wont be too terribly long, the latest i am trying is 1000 seconds between screenshots. My next vid will be much better.

Grasscity Deals Near You