1st indoor/outdoor grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by howboutadab, Apr 12, 2015.

1. #1 howboutadab, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2015
    1st serious grow indoors,but in garage.Sealed well and have 1 1000w hps with ported/vented hood and 2 flo's.Since It is actually outdoors will there still be issues with bugzzz.Hoping not,sealed pretty well and don't want to use stuff don't have to.There are vents they could potentially come through..Does anyone have experience with a garage grow.? Could use tips..Soil or hydro..? What would be best bet for only 2-3 plants at a time and most economical.? 6x4 room will be flooded with light so have ventilation covered too..Please help with any info...Thanks.

2. Welllllll first things first .. 1000ws for a 6x4 for only 2-3 plants seems a bit like over kill.. As far as the garage.. Or should I say shed? .. Is it a 6x4 box in side of a garage or just an exterior shed?.. This actually matters .. If its a garage with a grow box built in it then I'm curious how u plan to keep bugs out and still stay vented.. Ventilation is intake cool clean co2 and exhaust hot dirty o2 .. Fans? Ducts? Carbon scrubber? How do you plan to control scent? Humidity control? Temp control? If its a shed .. Well same questions .. But how are u getting power ? And as far as the strains are they outdoor, indoor, fem, bagseed, etc etc? Soil is better for small situations and cheaper IMO... I have experience with almost every situation .. Including crazy wives lol .. I need a pic of the space to better answer your question or at very minimum a detailed description.. But I'll be glad to help

3. Outdoor is about stealth and size .. Indoor is about precise control of your allotted space while maintain and maximized health and yeild..

4. #4 howboutadab, Apr 12, 2015
    Thanks for responding..Ok here's what I have.First I'm starting with WW seeds from CK and their new Crown Royal seeds I have been wanting to try.I have no access to clones but seeds ARE feminized,guaranteed...A 6x6 "room"actually after measuring with plenty of shelving.I have the huge enclosed hood with the 1000w HPS and Sunblaster T5's Flo's along sides for the spectrum the HPS does not supply.I think I may go to a 600w HPS and a dimmable 600w ballast though..I am handcuffed with this 1000w switchable ballast because it's only switchable from a 1000w Sodium to a 1000w Halide..I have a 100amp service in garage that has no load on it yet so not a problem there.I will also add an auto dimmer to control the brightness and dimness like a normal day..I am also worried about the bugs and wondering what to do..I have two 6" vent holes in each end of this enclosed hood with glass cover and was trying to figure out if I could vent hot air out with one and blow fresh air in with a very small AC unit while drawing hot air out window with a vacuum fan.I will have to put in a humidifier to keep at correct %.Once the vents are attached to hood,it's pretty much a closed unit,bugs don't have a chance in there.I am also considering a scrubber for the smell..Do you think that would solve some or most of the problem with smell..? I need ideas for this vent issue..uhhhgggg...I'm making this sound too easy huh,or are these reasonable ideas..? Thanks for info..Much appreciated brother..!

5. #5 killset, Apr 12, 2015
    If bugs want in they're coming in. Preventive maintenance is important. Even in a sealed grow inside someone's house pests are a concern. Your auto dimmer thing seems very unnecessary and I highly doubt would work well. The dimmable part of a dimmable ballast is just a switch that will sets the light to run at 50%, 75% or 100%. Especially in flower you want the plants receiving as much light as possible the entire lights on time. When the lights are on if you can control tempts at 100% at the plants are big enough to handle it, just run it at 100% all the time. I run a portable a/c in the summer. What is the vacuum fan for? Are you making a box around a window unit a/c to handle heat or something? Get an inline exhaust fan or even a booster fan might work for something like that. And how do you know your going to need a humidifier with the a/c. I live in a very humid place in the summer, a/c helps keep my humidity down. If you live somewhere that is extremely dry look into a swamp cooler. Cordon off a section of the garage if you don't want to waste energy cooling the whole thing. Even just hanging tarps will reduce the size of the area. I know a guy here that does it.