1st Indoor Grow Help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SourChuckD, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Hey everyone, Im new to the site as a member. Ive smoked for about 15 years now, and finally finally just getting so sick of the price and the hassle of getting good herb. I own my own home, in a subdivision you could call it, neighbors arnt right on top of me, but less than 50 ft away. Stealth is not my 100" top priority, but my wife doesnt want it to reak in the house. I dont have an unlimited budget, but I want to do this as right as I can, as cheap as I can.
    Ok, I have a room im dedicating to my grow, inside the room i have a 4x4x8 room built. I have a 1000w hps lighting system. Im going to use soil. My main question or concern is properly venting the room. I planned on pumping the air from the room into the attic. Ive seen some inexpensive 150cfm carbon filters on the net and plan on pushing the air through the filter. Ive seen people say push or pull either way. The more space I have in the room the better. Now my light isnt air cooled, but it has spaces on either side that i can put flanges on and hook up ducts to them. Would it work if I put the ducts on either side ( duct--->light--->duct--->fan--->filter--->attic)? Will it not work sucking air over the light? Any suggestions for exhaust fans?
    Ok, now intake. Ive heard that my CFM intake should be less than my CFM exhaust. If true how much? Than what type of is recommended? How many times per hour should the air be completely evacuated?
    I plan on being around here for awhile, I love good weed, and I love growing things, so I see a new hobby forming...I dont plan on starting to grow for about another 2-3 weeks so I have time to get things right. Thanks to everyone!

2. Hello SourChuckD!!

This is a good option but make sure by doing this you cnat hear it from outside :)

The filter you are talking about are made for you to pull air through the filter first not pushed through it.

Because you are growing in a "sealed enviorment" or in this case your home. You can just exhaust your light and nothing else because your houser is constanly under control with temp. but not humidity so put a small dehumidifier in the room during the flowering cycle.

Thats a really good idea because the hot air from the fan will always be exhausted this way while bringing more fresh air into the room. (this is the best for you) but I suddgest you do it like this filter>duct>light>duct>attic in this way all smell and dust is removed before hitting your light.

The best way is to give an example:
    1. If your exhausting the air at 100cfm and bringing it in at 100cmf your getting 200cfm of air exchange but there are a small possible chance your going to have a little bit of a smell leak.
    2. If your exhausting at 100cfm and bringing it in at 75 cfm your getting 175cfm of air exchange but in this case your air out will always be pulled out faster than the infan makeing a smell leak unlikly but still possible.

The best rule of thumb is to be able to replace the air in the room every 5min. So for a 4x4x8 room you need a fan that at the least can do 125-150 cfm running constantly to be safe it would be better to get a 6" fan that can do 250-350 cfm runing on a temp switch but if you were to buy (2) 4" inline fans and have one hooked up to your light to exhaust the heat from the lamp and the room and the other fan as an intake that would work really well.

Keep researching and remember the samrtest thing you can do is ask questions :)