1st indoor grow, cfl's

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by MoonCalf, Oct 1, 2009.

1. 1st grow, started on 9,10,09
    using a rubbermaid ruffneck, its turned in end, the lid made a great door:)
    had one seed germ and then 2 days in it feel over and turned yellow then brown,
    had used dirt from the yard, to much clay, stayed to wet.
    ditched that , got some real dirt from homedepo.
    got 3 seeds going, 2 have popped, next one should tomorrow.(10,2,09)

4 cfl's=
    2- 6500k daylight
    1- 3500k
    1- 3000k

allmost to bright to look at:)

top half lined with foil, door with alumi tape, great stuff

old pc fan for exit, cut holes for in
    :metal:

got pics

please ask any thing i'll do my best to answer
    havin fun:D

Attached Files:

2. thats weird time of post 5 hours fast for my time zone :poke:central (south k.c.)

my bad on the pics just turn your head to the left:D

oh yea i'm on a 20hr light on, 4hr light off (1am to 5am)

3. Nice job on the the box... My sugestion would be to add Perlite to the soil.. Dont see much in the soil in your pictures.. This will help in rooting and keeping the soil from compacting.. The Perlite will lighten up the soil making it easier for the roots to spread and helps with drainage < which is key ! ! !.. I use a mixture of about 30% - 40% mixed with some miracle grow potting soil..

4. kool kool

im using mg seed starting potting mix, looks as though it has perlite in ther

and just so you know my temp never goes over 75, never :)

i think it cause the fan is up high, at same level as lights, ive seen alot of boxes on here and fans in many places, heat rises:p;) lots of problems with heat, not in mine!

light times more or less 24/7, 20/4, 18/8 veg
    13/11, 12/12, 10/14 flower
    whats the best??

5. #5 MoonCalf, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
    need info on the lighting time

got one more seed in soil, think roots to long, over 3/8", still planted it though:)

1st plant, the one you can see in pics, is bout 2" diameter, and 1.5" tall
    leaves look real wide, kool. end of day 7 from start of germ.(not in pic, growin crazy like)

im on all the time, ill reply every time, this setup is the basement next to my desk, im lucky ive got a room to my self no one goes in sept to do laundry and i do all that, the wall is behind my tv, you cant hear a thing when its on and the wash is runnin thought shit came unplugged once:eek:

6. im runnin 24/0 veg and 12/12 for flower thats it.and its workin good for me.nice setup by the way.im gonna stick around and watch this.check out my grow.its in my sig.

7. #7 MoonCalf, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
    scarkrow==funny shit, just posted on your grow and you had all ready answered my ? on mine duh.

8 days fsg (from start of germ.)

not much goin on here nuits water growth:D

could i run 14/10 lights on/off for flower??

8. i guess you could im not 100% sure.i now 12/12 works so thats what im stickin with lol.

9. #9 MoonCalf, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2009
    good news:hello: the seed that germd, thought the root was to long, well its up and lookin good. one more to sprout and that will make 5 plants. stopin ther, this is bag seed , so i dont know whos a femm.

i tryed makin a drip feeeder systym but it didnt work. it the frist proto though. going to try later.

what im doin is using the sheth off of tele wire( 1/8 inch id), with the wire removed( you can see in pic at first of thead. i just added a longer peice and inserted a 3 brass tubes threw the tele tube with a .030" hole in center( tube has .030" id), it really would have worked good if the brass was longer or had a flexy bit on the end, driped nice at all 6 ends but just no control bout were the ends are.

pic later could not find wire for cam to pc:devious:

allso added a intake fan/ serculating fan. works good

th fan came out of a 12v cooler/heater. pulls it from center out on all sides. so it pulls air in therw intake duck and blows it all around the box in all directions

pic later lookin for wire:confused_2:

10. that was a crazy day(no one home all day,wife, kid, mother in-law). got down and dirty today. pulled the hole thing down, just to paint the out side black and in side flat wight:mad: big mistake, there is all most no light in the box. with the foil it seamed to be way way brighter. no reflection. no hot spots. think thats better, maybe we'll see.:confused: i think i should have used the foil tape. i can really see the color difference. in the different bulbs.

i also changed the exhaust fan to one thats bout an inch wider
    moved it to the out side and put a 50a switch in line from a 12v 2.8a wall wort, it big weighs a ton.sealed the out side and in side with sink adhesive/caulk, paint able.

also moved the old fan to the intake port. same care done as the other fan.
    just looked in on 77 deg. both fans running great

Attached Files:

11. well things are good here, finished up intake, almost finished with exhaust, just need carbon filter. going to use the replacement filter pads for a smoke remover from walfart.
    also added a fan to the back, for some air movement, makes the plants just move around some, witch is kool make for a stronger stem

temps did rise a bit after moving the fans but came down when i added the last fan. temps at 80 deg, by plants, 72 at intake, 85 at exhaust

intake is just an old box for a fish tank light all sealed up, with a hole to push the box around fan housing. bottom of box is about 2 inches off basement floor

the last few pic are of the last fan

Attached Files:

12. a bout the pics, last post. the chrome box, well that started out as the box my crown royal came in, so i cut it up put a divider in, to direct air flow and to have a plane for the carbon filter.

the other of the last fan. thats my sealing fan, came from an old 12v cooler/heater cooler for a car, the motor is on out side and made some noise. so i cut a baby formula can in half and glued it down. still has the lid on so i could make any repairs if they come up.

that last pic is the baffle for the intake fan. directs air up over plants into the sealing fan.

13. o yea

the plants lookin good

ther bout 1 day apart

1st plant grew all weird, looks like a bird, but has two tops
    2nd '' '' '' '' , lookin better than it did
    3rd the best one looks perfect

5 days sence sprout, 3rd plant

all pics takin with cell, sorry

Attached Files:

14. killer i was cleanin out my storage and found some mylar covered foam( 3/16 thick), and covered the top 1/3 of my box, as thats were my plant are now.my temps have gone up but only 2 deg thats ok it did drop to 74 in the box over night with lights on. runnin 24/7 till i git about 8" tall and i think ill Lst. to keep the plant low and for more bud.
    this is the first time ive grown any thing, ever. so far so good:D

jacked the wifes cam

Attached Files:

15. Hey looking good. Our grows are about the same age, and I'm also using a rubbermaid grow box. I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I'll have some updated pics for mine in a little bit. Stop by and check it out!

16. kool kool thanks high mountski, ill check yours out

i had a thought:) does the temp change as the plants change( higher-bigger, higher-flower) i did see a higher temp when i needed to water as the soil an top to about 1/4 inch down was all crusty. i skipped a day of watering

ive all been checking the soil temp with a rec. thermometer and have been steady at 100.3 (1/2 inch down) is this to much or is has anyone ever done this?

17. I read somewhere that the ideal temp is 75F-85F.

18. yea I've read that to, but what the about soil temp!

19. Not sure. I'd guess slightly cooler?

20. yea its strange really when i sick my finger down in their, it feels cool, but with rec. thermometer it 100.3. I've even left the thermo in over night!