1st grow. Soil. Tent. 600hps

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bungle420, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Here goes....
    1.2 1.2 2. 'green room' grow tent
    600w hps bulb
    air cooled reflector
    Lumatec digi adjustable ballast
    4inch intake fan
    6inch out
    Rhino filter

All set up an workin well apart from my temps on a test run. At 600w they would have been cooking. Turned ballast down to 400 an temps were 80 with 45% humidity.
    Ideally I wanna use the full 600w to make the most of what I paid for. I've read a few journals of people usin 600s in a 1.2 tent without any problems. Where am I going wrong? Help a noob out.

2. [quote name='"bungle420"']Here goes....
    1.2 1.2 2. 'green room' grow tent
    600w hps bulb
    air cooled reflector
    Lumatec digi adjustable ballast
    4inch intake fan
    6inch out
    Rhino filter

All set up an workin well apart from my temps on a test run. At 600w they would have been cooking. Turned ballast down to 400 an temps were 80 with 45% humidity.
    Ideally I wanna use the full 600w to make the most of what I paid for. I've read a few journals of people usin 600s in a 1.2 tent without any problems. Where am I going wrong? Help a noob out.[/quote]

Where is your exhaust being vented to, and what temp is the room outside the tent when the lights are off.

If you aren't using additional passive intakes, odds are your intake fan can't keep up and is hurting the efficiency of your exhaust fan. A slight difference in cfms will get you negative pressure, but too much can cause heat problems.

If you are venting the heat back into the same room as your grow, unless very well cooled, the rise in ambient temps makes your intake air warmer. Which makes the hood less efficient, which results in even warmer exhaust. The cycle just keeps going until your room is way too hot. All the circulation in the world doesn't help. Unless the air comes in contact with something cooler than it is at that time, movement can't result in actual cooling. If you want good temps without extra a/c you have to vent out of the room.

3. There's only one way to control excess heat, and that's by removing it. You can do this by installing an air conditioner in the room your tent is in, or by venting the warm air out of the room, and allow cool fresh air to refill the tent. If this isn't

You mentioned a couple fans... Perhaps if you explain how they are set up, we can help you troubleshoot better. Ideally, you want to exhaust the warm air near the top of your tent out of the tent, and let cool air come in through the lower vents passively (no fan).

Ideal temps, without supplementing co2, is 78F. For each degree warmer, photosynthesis slows by about 5%. 80 will work, but will be counter productive compared to 78.

Hope this helps.

4. I've got a 4inch tt (i know) bringin cold air in through an open window using the curtain as a filter releasing it in the bottom right of the tent. In the top left I got the rhino straight onto the 6 inch Tt, ductin, powerplant aircooled reflector then ductin out of the tent n hangin over the door to the room. Got quite a bit of negative pressure goin on in there but I thought that was a good thing... As for the temperature of the room, not sure atm. Not something I've checked on but I'm in the UK n hot its not.