1st Grow - Newbie questions about lights and pots.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by The Blue Skunk, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Hello everybody,
    I'm just getting started trying to plan out my grow room. I have read the "Bible" and a whack of pot magazines but I still have many questions that need answering before I can confidently start building my room.

Info.
    1. I purchased Blueberry Skunk seeds from 420 seeds in Toronto. 7 week flowering time.
    Here's the info about the strain from the website:
    Blueberry Skunk
    This strain does well Indoors as well as Outdoors. It has a 8 to 9 weeks flowering period.
    [​IMG]
    Blueberry Skunk is a large producer under indoor and outdoor conditions. A dense and stout plant with red, purple and blue hues that usually cure to a lavender blue.

[​IMG]The finished product has a very fruity aroma of the Skunk strain and tastes of Blueberry. It produces a notable and pleasantly euphoric mental lift of the highest quality and is very long lasting.

Bred out of the Skunk family, Blueberry Skunk is an Indica/Sativa mix that produces buds totally frosted with THC.

It is an excellent example of a fine quality cannabis and its ancestors have a reputation unsurpassed in growing. Blueberry Skunk is mainly an indoor variety but will work in the greenhouse or even outdoors. Finishing time is around 7 weeks, so you won't have to wait too long to experience the long-lasting cerebral high it gives. Blueberry Skunk is definitively for the connoisseur.

The finishing time will be within 60 to 70 days of the flowering's first appearance on the plant. Expect harvest in late September to early October in the northern hemisphere and in the southern hemisphere by the end of April. A proven true breed.
    Quick Characteristics: Very Good Yielder, Short and Bushy, Good for small closets or Hydroponics Tables. Smoke is skunky, heavy but also hints industrial scent can be detected. For Late (heavy) late night smokers who enjoy social interaction.

2. I will be growing in 3gal. (11L) pots using promix.
    3. Grow room is in the upstairs of the home.
    4. Considering using CO2 fizzpucks
    5. All exausting air must go to other rooms of the house.
    6. Not using cooled lights.
    7. Using carbon filter for flowering room.
    8. Would prefer not SOG.
    9. Grow area is L9' x W15' x H7.5'

Questions:

1. How much area do the following HID lights cover properly for my mother plant? (short bushy strain)
    175wMH ?, 250wMH ?, 400wMH ?

2. How much area do the following HID lights cover properly for vegging my plants form start of 4th week until end of 7th week? 4 week veg. time. (short bushy strain)
    250wMH ?, 400wMH ?

3. How much area do the following HID lights cover properly for flowering my plants for 7 weeks? (short bushy strain....just in case you forgot lol)
    600wHPS ?, 1000wHPS ?

4. Can I buy shades that divert the light into a rectangle as opposed to in a squre?

5. What are the dimensions of the top of a square 3gal (11L) pot?
    8"x8" ?, 10"x10" ?, 12"x12" ?

6. From the information above, how much space (if any) should I have between my pots for vegging if using 3gal(11L) pots from the 3rd week to harvest?
    ??

7. From the information above, how much space (if any) should I have between my pots for flowering if using 3gal(11L) pots from the end of third week to harvest?

8. Will I need a carbon filter for my veg. room too? (it will be exausting air into house)

9. How would you set up this room??????

As you can see, I need a lot of help. Thanks in advance for any information that will help get me started.
    Sincerely,
    The Blue Skunk

2. Hello again,
    Even if you only know the answer to 1 or 2 of my questions please help.
    Thanks
    The Blue Skunk

3. for 7 plants im sure you will be fine with a 400watt mh and a 600 watt hps. no need for 1000watt bulb for 7 plants

p.s- you should also post pics of your grow room so people get an exact idea of your options

4. Hello,
    Thanks for responding. I tried to post a pic of my room but I couldn't do it. I do want waaaay more than 7 plants. (I think you may have missread) I would like as many plants as the room can grow sufficiently.
    Thanks
    The Blue Skunk

PS. The room looks like this. I can only exaust to the rooms on the top wall of diagram.

_______________15'_____________________
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I 9.5'
    I
    I
    I
    I
    L_____________________________________I