1st Grow, need some advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by WiscoHerb1986, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Good Morning All, @Buzzer777

So i had a germination to seedling thread, however I have progressed to where I am at now and need advice on a few things here on how I want to proceed. This is my first grow and any help, advice and input is greatly appreciated.

In the pictures I have half photo and half autos. My one auto as you can see took off sooner and really densing up. That’s my Colorado cookies. The other three autos are white widows. They are just starting to bloom. Currently we are still at 19 on and 5 off, photos continue to veg and get big and healthy.

1. On my larger photo plants, some of the lower leaves have discoloration and old, lack light and personally I want to remove them, but new to growing cannabis so want to reach out before defoliating. Leave or remove? I want to remove them, as I would on any other plant. I just brought back two of my orchids that were weak. But, new to this and don’t want to make a dumb decision and ruin anything. To defoliate, just use a sharp snips correct? She isn’t picky in how she gets pruned? I just don’t want to keep having her put any energy into some of these fans that don’t gather light and just trap humidity.

2. My father in law wants a clone from my strong photo to grow at cottage up north in the woods. Do I choose the largest node region to clone from? I will do research, but any personal advice would be appreciated. I have those quick rooting cubes and I have the gel to dip. They need high humidity so was going to build a dome and spritz them for cloning. I was going to give him a seed but I figured take my hardiest photo and clone her, then when we have to go weeks without checking on her we can rest easy it was a plant and not a seed. We built a box to raise the plant about 4’ off ground to not have issues with deer or whatever.
    This will be my first time ever cloning, so any advice and experiences are greatly appreciated.

3. Photos are becoming quite large and would like to flip to 12/12 to start them flowering soon. Next couple weeks. If I clone from strong mother, I need to wait a few weeks to induce flowering because the stress of cloning, correct?

Love this Site!! Appreciate everyone and man have I become addicted to growing these gals! Beautiful plants. And. And. Great to smoke!

Cheers all and happy Saturday.

Below are some pics, nothing closeup or special.

IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0314.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 1. Trim away. If they are still vegging you will not hurt anything. Look into lollipoping, it involves trimming everything on the lower half of the plants.

2. Cloning is easier than it looks. Just look up some videos. I seen people make clones by just putting a cutting into a cup of water...

3. You can flip to flower after taking a clone or 2 the plant wont notice

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Thanks for the tips. Appreciate it.

So you are saying I can start to thin my fans out and it won’t effect them in a negative way?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Just snip like any other plant correct? I know for clones we want to do a 45 and then split and dip in gel. Correct?

• Like Like x 2
  5. What part of plant do I take the clone from? Not just a fan? I need nodes correct?

• Like Like x 1
  6. You need stem and a node to clone, yes, not just a leaf. You could take a 6-8 inch cutting and then cut that down into several 2-3 inch cuttings, you could take several of the small side-branches that grow near the base which will normally not form more than a popcorn bud down there and grow them in to full plants, you could top the plants taking a 2-3 inch cutting in doing so even though that's normally done early on you can still do it if you plant to let the new tops grow out for a couple of weeks.

My cloning tips would be:
    Take a few clones don't rely on just one. If you don't want to take more than 1-2 from your best plant, take a couple of backups from the other photos.
    Soak the stems in water for an hour or two before you consider planting them.
    Rooting compound is helpful.
    Keep them away from draughts.
    A humidity cover is extremely beneficial before they begin to develop roots.
    Any good cloning guide for soft-wood plants will do, from any reputable gardening info source.

Regards removing leaves, there are also positive effects from removing leaves which can greatly outweigh any potential downsides. That said "defoliation" is a more extreme thing, where you remove a significant proportion of the leaves.
    If you want to tidy things up, remove damaged leaves and ones where they cluster and touch causing moisture. You can just trip off the burnt tips and leave the rest of the leaf attached.
    You could probably do quite a lot if what you want and open up the lower parts to the light without removing more than 5 good leaves from any one of your photos, especially if you just trim some of the leaves rather than removing them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Hey Herb!
    I'm a new indoor grower
    But I think it helps your clone out if you cut your leave tips 1/4- 1/2 off
    Looking forward to watching your grow

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thanks all for the tips, much appreciated. I will post more pics in next few days.

Partaking in a bowl of some obama og and going to sleep. Night GC.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Evening GC, @Buzzer777

See below pics. Little update. Nothing special for pics. The autos buds are starting to plump up. But now I have a question with this as my photos are growing quick and large.

I want to flip to 12/12 to start the photos. How much will this effect yield on the autos that are flowering? Can I flip to 12/12 while the autos are flowering?

Any help is appreciated and hope Buzzer joins in as they were a huge help in my previous post and want them to see the progress.

**Side note. Has anyone on this site used so hum soil? I see it’s a super soil and seeing if anyone has had success with it? Sohumsoils.com**

Thanks all!!

IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0323.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  10. Your yield will be reduced quite a bit only running 12 hrs of light.. Most people grow autos at 20/4 some even 24 on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I'm in the same boat! Lol
    Would it be wise to take my two Auto's out of my room and put them under cfl bulbs for 6 hours?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

12. Hey Cheeseman..LOL
    I still log into GC from Time to Time to check PMs etc..
    Your plants look great (probably better in normal light (for pics)).

I agree with the others..12hr is too little light for an Auto ( I have auto seeds but have never even tried to grow them.
    My time is valuable (not getting any younger) and I will only grow Photos, unless I jam one into my Veg closet..

I am trying a Far Red Initiator (parts from Rapid Led) and added a few UV Violet leds to boot..interesting stuff..
    Put it into my main flower tent last night..
    Been busy..also made one fixture for my Photon Sunboards (Like a bigger QB132)..(In my veg closet)..it is a prototype and gonna be making a few more for the remaining 8 QBs..(Now I have sold all of my Meizhis(3)..to get more $$ for the QBs..Meizhis were Very good to me)
    IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0996.JPG 3-25-18 2.JPG Fixture.JPG

13. @Buzzer777

Your plants look great!

Quick question to whoever can help. So I tested runoff in my soil and ph is at 6.0. I want to boost this to 6.5 and just ph up in water I have read won’t do it. Should I purchase dolomite lime to adjust up and how much to be added in 3 & 7 gallon fabric pots? Using fox farm nutes as well.

Any help is appreciated. 6.0 is a bit low and want to boost it before issues develop.

Appreciate the help. I will post updated pics tomorrow. They are getting big!

Cheers all!

14. Sorry..I haven't really even tested my runoff so I really don 't know..
    I just make sure my watering PH is between 6.2-6.8 (mine is between 6.5-6.7) and all has been good, except for the usual cal-mag def at 5 weeks in..)
    If your plants are ok and autos..maybe leave them be and go on as usual?

15. Hi all, @Buzzer777

Looking for some help here. Been feeding the standard fox farms trio nutes and visited local hydro place here in an illegal state and wasn’t aware of what I could buy. The tomato and veg was free, but can I use that for a cannabis grow?

Anyways, I picked up these nutes and hoping I can supplement them for bottled nutes. Will the two black containers replace those? Anyone have experience with these nutes?

Got a great deal on them and want to know how to implement into my current grow.

I will put some pics of plants up soon, but just curious about how to go about using these.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am transplanting as well on my photos and the autos are really densing up.

Love all the advice and opinions please!

IMG_0360.JPG

16. You have me there..never saw that stuff..the flower stuff in particular looks like it will need a PK booster and looks too heavy in Nitrogen..just an opinion..The other is a mystery to me as to what you use it for..veg maybe??

Forgot..finished the prototype fixture..Gonna build more..;)
    Fixture 2.JPG

17. How much does one of those cost to build? Looks like a fun side project to work on. Got my interest.

18. Figured I would share a couple pics of the gals. The autos are really filling in and densing up. My photos are going to be huge when I flip them. Keep growing big and strong.

Couldn’t be happier for a first grow! Planted 8 seeds and currently have 8 plants. 100% success rate whether they yield a lot or not is a success and will only get better from here.

Happy Sunday all!

Image1523188759.193398.jpg
    Image1523188783.756463.jpg
    Image1523188805.125539.jpg
    IMG_0362.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  19. This one uses 2x Fantom Sunboards..$50 each..$100..also hard to find
    The QBs are $133 when you can find them..I have 4x 3500k and 4x 2700k
    Meanwell LRS-350-36 driver $40 Arrow Electronics
    Aluminum angle iron..$20 Home Depot
    Screws etc - on hand
    Chain..on hand
    Optional:
    PWM dimmer <$15 ebay
    Meter <$15 ebay

Greenman Gnome Pipe..NOT TELLING..lol

I also added a home made Far red Flower initiator for about $100 FROM Rapidled.
    Gromau5 says it could speed up flowering by putting the plant to sleep immediately when they "see" the far red signal..
    IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0996.JPG optical spectrum.jpg Snap3.jpg

20. Plants looking awesome!!!!
    If you are gonna flush..I would start now depending on trichs and what type of high you want..harvesting in stages is also a good idea ..