1st Grow - Need Advice and Help!

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Ctien, Nov 13, 2018.

1. #1 Ctien, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    I put together a small grow tent and have been trying to figure everything out on my own. I have absolutely no experience and need some advice and direction.

I set up a 2 x 2 x 4.6 tent with a 450w LED. The manufacturer recommends at closest during flowering stage the plant should be 18-24 inches from the light. My light is 37 inches from the floor of the tent to the base of the light. I am assuming the only way I can grow with this setup is if I top the plant and then use a SCROG method but have some concern that I still do not have enough room. The top of the trellis net is 19 inches from the floor leaving about 12 inches from the top of a 1 gallon pot.

Can anyone provide input or feedback? Can I make this setup work? It is difficult due to size limitations to bring the light up a lot higher in the tent. I need to ensure both the light and air filter have adequate air circulation. I hope I can easily make this work without having to get a different light.

Appreciate any help. Thank you.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Maybe you could get the filter snug against the top of your tent. Then you could uncouple the hangers and fasten them to the perimeter poles around the top (rather than up to the center hanger pole). That should buy you a few more inches.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I've never used that light, but have a similar light from advanced LED and find I can keep it closer than they say. Usually about 12" is enough

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. This info only applies if your growing an average sized plant and using LST of course.

I've grown in a tent with the same height but was smaller in width and almost the same light (mine was the VS 600, not bad to start with but have moved on to better LED's)

I can tell you now that you will need to get that light higher. You'll be fine in veg but even with LST/HST you will be on the absolute limit after the stretch into flower for most strains.

You can gain headroom by unfastening the filter straps and run them through the back parimeter pole. Tighten the straps ALL THE WAY (important)

Now, your filter will be touching the back wall and the ceiling. It won't matter that those surface areas on the filter are slightly blocked. There's more then enough surface area to filter the smell

Now that the filter is as high and far back as possible, you'll have the room to hang your light higher (when needed)

When you get in flower, you might have to use shorter hanging cables (just make some) to get the light as high as possible

When your plant gets so high that you need to move the light up to that area, the light might need to be positioned slightly to the front (further towards the door) as to avoid collision with the filter. BUT, it will be at least as high as the filter and should give you enough clearance not to ruin your plant with light toxicity.

Vipraspectra's height recommendations for that light are just general recommendations. You still might need to play around with the height for best results.

Just don't give a seedling or early veg too much. Once it's vegging, you can turn on the flower switch too.

LST/HST to achieve the flattest canopy possible like I did to this plant (old picture)

Good luck and happy growing!

IMG_20180923_125806.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  5. Thank you all very much for the feedback. I have found it to be extremely helpful!