1st grow, Jock Horror under CFL

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by heavyengineerng, May 16, 2010.

1. Still out there heavy?

2. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! im dry for at least another 2/3 weeks for a new hookup to pickup. scraped the old baggie and grinder and im soaring.

sorry for the lack of activity here, im been trying to get a handle on the grow. after the last post the nute burn continued to show at every watering even though it was just RO and superthrive. roots started to show so i transplanted and decided to use 3gal smartpots because i wanted to 'see' the roots growing. im using FFOF straight out of the bag. i started tying them down 2 days ago at the previous watering.

ive been having heat issues in the box too, ive been leaving the door off a lot as i play around with different things to see how temps changes as ideas work out. cfls give off more heat than i would have thought. ive got watering figured out right now, but i need to figure something out when theyre under the screen and i cant keep pulling them in and out.

im starting basil for my wife. im trying to sort out details of a grow room/closet for the next go around if this continues to be this much fun.

so here's where we are now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this was a picture from at least 4 days ago that i thought was cool. there's so much undergrowth that isn't visible in the above pictures.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Yeah a lot of people are mislead about the whole cfls are not as hot. You have to think about the actual surface area of the bulbs. That's a lot of glass you have to have air flowing over for it to be cool know what I mean.

4. There's that update! Looking good heavy. Good call on the 3 gal. pots. As long as you dont grow them too big thats the last transplant you'll have to do.

My next grow is going to be two plants started off in 2 gal pots and then transplanted to 5 gal buckets. Keep things simple.

5. quick story. im cleaning up my room, sweeping the floor, lining up my ph up/down, my ferts and i notice im missing a bottle. my big bloom seems to be missing. i go upstairs and ask my wife if she took anything else from my room. (she stole my bag of earthworm castings earlier in the week) after mentioning it was a bottle of ferts she had said she used it and it was in the garage. when i go to retrieve it i find she's used half the bottle. i only remember telling her she could use some for a troubled plant she had, but she thought i told her she could have it. she used the maximum strength, 1/2 cup per gallon, on every plant around the house. /facepalm the sick plant this all started with is doing fan-freaking-tastic and none of the other plants show any sign on nute burn.

i think i missed the tutorial on when to feed your plants as im burning them any time i feed even when i go to 1/12 strength. live an learn i guess. the undergrowth is exploding, pictures dont do them any justice.

plants are 5-6 weeks old above ground. i didnt feed them for way too long and then nute burned them and then heat stressed them. i've nute burned them some more and am really showing off my nubery. so im wondering how big they should get before flipping them to flowering. i'd like to see them double in length, but im wondering if ill have my hands full when they stretch. hopefully there will be some good growth over the next week or two and they'll be where i expect them.

i finally broke down and ordered a better fan for my box, Soler and Palau TD-100x. ive got a shopping list for stuff i need to get everything set up inside the box for when i set the screen. getting the temps under control with all the lights on needs to be sorted out by the time flowering starts. ill update my box thread once everything is sorted out.

Attached Files:

6. watered and re-tied the plants today. found myself wondering if hydro would be any easier. the amount of time i spend to ph adjust, water and check runoff doesnt seem to be taking any less time.

im not sure why i never got into growing anything previously, just watching these has been very entertaining. i always manage to get lost looking at all the growth.

i just re-set the line that holds the stem at the dirt and got a good look of the underneath. watching the leaves and stems grow around to get light is pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. I know what you mean. At least once a day I just park my chair in front of my plants and stare at all the intricacies of the buds and leaves in shit. Such cool looking plants, especially when flowering.

8. I just read everything from page 1.

Its too bad how your first attempt was a struggle, but looks like youre doing fine now.

Also! Please note! You do not need to give the plants any nutrients for several weeks, trust me, thats why your plants are just burning. Burning can start from the bottom up so be careful, youre healthy new green growth might surprise you.

Dont over feed! common mistake Ive also had the misfortune of making when i first started growing.

9. I'm in with you for the long haul man. Sorry about the first attempt, this one looks like its going better. If you don't mind I'm going to piggyback on anything you learn. Good luck man.

10. i have no idea what im doing, at least thats what it looks/feels like. plants really havent shown much for growth in the past week. its been 6 days since i last watered, hoping for some sign of them being thirsty. im watering them today regardless.

snapped some shots while i was continuing to remove crunchy nute burned leaves. theyve lost a lot due to nute burn. live and learn, i think i know when to feed and not to now, i just hope they recover.

keep in mind these first popped out of the soil 6/4 and theyre still super small. the lst appears to be working as intended.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Ah shitty man. Well, its not dead yet! Flush that plant w/ 3 times the amount of water that the pot can hold. The just give her PH adjusted water w/ Super Thrive and see if she shows improvement after a week or so.

12. i never flushed, im hoping they turn around on their own. the nute burn appeared to stop and theres good green coloring again so hopefully they bounce back soon.

i think ive already sold myself on hydro just for better control of feeding and ph. ill be gathering supplies soon.

13. They will never fully recover if you don't flush out the build up and PH inbalance in the soil.

14. Zerostar is right buddy, you need ta flush em asap otherwise you'll just watch them die.
    The worst move was to feed them again, your only gonna make it worse.
    The reason they did fuck all for 6 days is coz their roots are burning up and are not function at the moment so obviously can't take up moisture. Think about it, 6 days and your medium was still damp...
    Flush em, then flush em again to be sure, sit back and hope for the best. I truely hope they recover brotha

15. i fed them at 1/12 strength last, 15 drops of grow big and 45 drops of big bloom per gallon, hardly enough to warrant flushing. flushing would only mean id have to re-feed and potentially re-burn the plants.

theyre already showing signs of recovery btw. ill take pics when i water again.

16. I think your looking at the health of your plants and the reasons for a flush all wrong. Your plant has already been stressed due to what looks like nute burn. That means you have a humongous salt build up within your medium (that alone warrants a flush).
    While you have all those excess salts, your root system cannot do their jobs efficiently and your only other way of getting feed to your plants would be to foliar feed.
    Now while you already have a salt build up, your adding more nutes to your medium, no matter how small the feed was, your making your problem worse and making life that much harder for your plants.
    With a flush (a good one at that, even a shit one at this point is better than none) it will leach out all the salts and basically give your roots space to breath.
    Think of it like this, if you have diaria, will you continue eating and making matter's worse or you'd run the the toilet and flush that shit out. I know this aint a great example but it's all I can think of (I'm a fuckin stoner for god's sake) Right now, your plants need to shit but your not providing a toilet for them but rather trying to force them to eat more food that at this point they do not want.
    You can listen to us if you want or you can continue with your regime but it's not as if we're gonna smoke your bud with you so why would we be trying to jepordise it?? We're telling you flush coz it's what we feel is the best and you asked for advise but your the boss of your garden, what you say goes.
    Good luck and I hope they pull through..

17. HIGH

so my new hook up hooked me up.

and i had to replace the plastic grinder that came with my vape. i hit up my headshop and picked up a nice sharpstone grinder, and a little one hitter for my wife. got some hemp line to play with as well.
    [​IMG]

after watching the plants do much of the same, i flushed em both tonite in the sink with at least 10gal each, then a half gallon of ph adjusted with superthrive. was disappointing to watch them respond to the watering by perking up, but just never thrive. currently they look dunked.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my wife is getting excited about making a dedicated grow room after seeing one in person. i see lots of trips to home depot in my future.

Attached Files:

18. lots of leaves lost, mostly stuff i didnt know was under there. been sitting down and really grooming them lately to keep up on it. a lot of it is just faded yellow, not nute burned, but like they never got light?

both are looking much better after the flush, new growth top to bottom. thanks for the help.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Their looking much better :hello::hello:

20. Looks like alot of wood chips and/or peat in the soil:(.