(1st grow) Is this light good enough?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by x0joe0x, May 18, 2015.

1.  Hey all, I'm going to start just a small first grow in my closet and for me it looks like CFL is the best way to go, at least for my 1st grow. It's cheap, low heat and can produce good buds from what I see. 

So anyway heres my question, is this dual spectrum (6400k + 2700k) a good light to buy?

Also since I've never had one of these lights is there a switch for warm or cold or does it produce both lights all the time? It's only 125 watt but this is only for 1 plant, could I push 2 out of a 125 watt CFL?
    I was looking at HPS and some of the bulbs are pretty cheap but they require a ballast and produce high heat and eat up electricity.

Again this is my first grow so thank you and any advice is appreciated greatly!

2. It should work for one small plant. I wouldnt do 2. There will be some heat so make sure the air moves around

Thanks for the response, would 2 80mm PC fans do the job for intake /exhaust for this lights heat?

4. Are you gonna be in a closet or are you making some type of grow box? If it's just the closet I'd just get any cheapo fan to keep air circulating.

5. I was thinking of making a box with a couple planks of wood and having it in the corner of the wardrobe, not looking to use the whole thing as it would be too big and obvious, loooking for a stealthy grow really. Just had 2 old fans lying around and they work fine with adapter.

But about the light, does it produce 6400k + 2700k at the same time?

6. The description of the light says it runs both at the same time. Fans should work, build the biggest box you can within your stealth space. It makes things easier with a larger space.
    Good luck on your grow

7. #7 WeedleTM, May 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015

I don't think that 2 PC fans are anough to cool a 125watt CFL, especially when you are gonna use tiny 80mm models. Maybe if you are using 2 very good 120mm fans it will work, but I'm still not sure...

Yes the light is dual spectrum, but I don't understand why you want to combinate those 2 in 1 lamp. In the veg period you want to have more 6500K and in the flower period more 2700K, and not a 50/50 mix of both all the time.

I think you can better buy a big 2700K CFL for flowering and some small 6500K CFLs which you can use in the veg period.

8. I grow with CFLs only right now (though looking to upgrade shortly to HPS), but ive gotten some nice yields with 650w of CFLs.

I think that light is good for 1 plant (wouldnt do 2) but heres the problem i see, you might need a couple other smaller CFLs for side lighting. CFLs arent great at penetrating and if that light is just on top of the plant the entire grow then the lower bud sites are just gonna be little popcorn buds. My advice is pick up 2 or 3, even 4 23w bulbs and place them around the plant.