1St Grow, Indoor Tent In Soil. Few Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by MadFlavour, Jun 4, 2014.

1. #1 MadFlavour, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
    Hi Growers and Smokers

I have been looking to get my indoor tent soil grow happening for quite a while now; been researching as much as possible, reading forums, watching videos... it is getting to the point of making equipment purchases. I think I know what I want but would love to post my current plan and equipment list and see if there are any things the experienced folks can advise or fill in the blanks.

Firstly a bit of info about me and the intentions for the grow:
    I have no experience with growing, not just cannabis but any plants! But I have confidence and think I understand the fundamentals from what I have studied about indoor tent growing. And am prepared for 1st attempts to have “results that may vary”.
    I have been smoking cannabis every day for over 20 years. I like "fruity" tasting buds with a happy head stone (honestly, have never known what strain I smoke, but I guess I prefer Sativa)
    I live in Australia so sourcing equipment / soil / seeds are a little tricker / more expensive. (and not legal)
    I will have a partner (my brother, also a daily toker) helping with the grow.
    OUR IDEAL YIELD would provide us with personal smoke, and if a cycle of growing is about around 3-4 months, that would be approx 300 grams.

After reading a lot of reviews and suggestions about what kind of reflector, I have decided a Cool Vented Hood is best, as some people report the cool "tubes" have hotspots and poor light distribution, and the circular glass can actually act as a magnifier of heat. I would save some money if going cool tubes but not a lot so figure I will go for a Vented Hood. I would really save money if I went with a non air cooled reflector like a "bat wing" but I can't help but think the heat will become an issue in a tent with a 600W bulb. I read a lot about how 600W is the best bang for the buck, some have said a 400W would be fine but others say just pony up for the 600.

So with these points in mind, I have sourced the following setup for the tent, lights and ventilation:

1. tent 1x1x2m
    2. carbon filter 6 inch x50cm
    3. ducting 6 inch x6m
    4. duct fan 6 inch
    5. clamps pair of 6"
    6. Cool vent shade 6 inch flanges
    7. hps lamp 600w 2100k
    8. silver duct tape 50m roll
    9. HPS Mag ballast 600w
    10. 10A timer universal plug
    11. reflector Yoyo 1 pair of 2 pcs

That list of gear is going to be around $600 AUD delivered. I am trying to figure out if there is another address apart from where I will have the grow to deliver this to. I might be over paranoid but I think that it is probably safer to be extra paranoid about this whole process.

The kit does not include a MH lamp for veg. I am deciding between getting some cheap CFL's for this stage or just source a MH lamp from a local store or eBay (the actual lamps by themselves do not seem to expensive). Most things I read say yields will be better if veg'ing with a MH lamp.

I am also going to get a pH tester, seem pretty cheap on eBay.

SEEDS
    I think I have settled on a place to mail order a few seeds. I am not sure what strain to get, but I really do not know what the differences are so am just going with the most common recommendations for a 1st tent grow which seem to be mazar or a superhaze.

SOIL
    This is a subject I am struggling a bit to understand, there seem to be many “recipes” and differing opinions. I am not sure if I need to make different soils for different growth stages; or if there is a soil I can use from start to finish? I am also unsure if I use a soil if I need to use extra nutrients or fertilizers, or simply water. Any tips or links to guides are appreciated.
    Most things I read on soil suggest “Fox farms” but that is not readily available in Australia. So trying to find info about what Australian growers use, I found this tip (Bunnings is a chain of building and gardening suppliers):
    “I had pretty good results from Yates Potting Mix (with dynamic lifter)...it was about $10 a bag from bunnings. I add about 20% perlite to make it drain a bit better (also available from bunnings). Stay away from the cheap brand name potting mixes, they are crap and it's difficult to get seedlings started in them in my experience.”
    This sounds great, but I am not sure if (a) this is meant just for seedlings or if it can be used for the whole grow and ( [​IMG] will this need extra nutrients and fertilizer, and if so what types and how much?

POTS
    I am not sure if I need to start seedlings in small pots then transfer for larger pots or “grow bags” after they reach a certain size? Or can I plant directly into the larger pots and stay there? Also, I am unsure if I need to have trays at the bottom of the pots – some things I read say you do otherwise you are just wasting water and nutrients when it comes out the bottom of the pot, others say let that water drain away as it will cause root rot.

I hope to place orders for equipment later this week.. does this look like an OK plan? I have a couple of other questions I cannot seem to find info on:
    When you are in a 12/12 light cycle for flowering, do people have the light on udring the day or night? My thinking is it would be at night as it would be cooler then and the light would maintain a better temp, but during the day it is hotter so keep light off then? Also, when you have the light off during flowering and this was during the night, do you need to keep the fan running ie never turn off ventilation?

Thanks in advance for any information or tips. I plan on uploading a grow diary once it starts.
    [​IMG]
    MadFlavour

2. If you want an organic soil mix that will get you from seed to harvest without having to add nutrients start here
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

POTS: I use smart pots and always sprout my seeds in their final container. usually 7gal or 10gal. Never had a problem with over watering. 

You can also implement a self wicking system if you choose to use smart pots. very simple and effective.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1151159-noobwannbs-self-wicking-smartpot-ghetto-setup.html?hl=sip

3. #3 lFourTwenty, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
    My indoor grow is about the same setup..you might want to try hydroponics it might be alot easier for you to get set up. I personally grow soil and have been for awhile but I might switch to hydro soon.

Edit: And yes you are right about having heat issues with the 600w in the tent..a 400w would even make it hot if it didn't have good ventilation. The air cooled hood is a good idea..do you have any idea the cfm of the fan they're sending you?

Great stuff, will read up the links. Thanks for your info on pots, I was hoping I would not have to transfer them if not needed.

I am wondering how much soil ingredients I need to buy to make an organic soil - I am only looking at a few plants and hope I don't have to buy massive bags of each ingredient. Are there places who will mix up a batch and sell a modest sized bag?

As mentioned I am in Australia and I see the 1st ingredient of this soil recipe is "Canadian" Sphagnum Peat Moss. Guess I need to research more and figure out local alternatives.

Thanks for the post!

Your plants look amazing. Are you running the same sized tent as me? You look to have a mighty yield, any idea on what you will harvest dried? Congrats.

My tent is just a little bigger its only like 7 inches wider and longer..not much difference really you can do the same exact thing in your tent because mine still has a little space. It's 4 plants in a scrog 7 gallon smart pots..it does look like a decent scrog but it looked alot better before I had to pull the one in the middle.

7. If you can't get any sphagnum peat moss, use regular potting soil without any fertilizer in it. Are you able to find stuff like kelp/alfalfa meal? and some quality worm castings?

8. I'm sure i could source these things at a nursery / garden supplies place? Some other soil suggestions I have been getting are CANNA TERA and SEARLES potting mix. Investigating all these suggestions..

Thanks for posting, I am a sponge for info!

9. 6500K CFL over MH watt for watt anyday... much tighter nodes and more branching... here is a baby of mine that is less than 3 weeks since PLANTING... sprouted on 5/20.

Attached Files: