1st Grow - In a closet on a budget [Need Advice!]

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Creativ, Oct 22, 2009.

1. #1 Creativ, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
    First grow, so I'm new at this, but have a reasonable proficiency with other plants, shrubs, flowers etc.

At a point in my life where it is possible to do this. But anticipate at least a one week vacation where I will need to rig up some sort of watering situation of sorts. Open to suggestions.

anyway, this is almost a practice grow to get the technique down for a more substantial grow later on.

With all that out of the way:

germed a handful of seeds with the paper towel method, keeping dark and warm. Stuck the seedlings in a small box with a cfl in there to start. Got a few little guys.

Attached Files:

2. Good luck with the growing man.

3. What are your plans for growing them into maturity?... I hope you have a bigger box :p

Looks like a good healthy start, and it's about the scale of something I might do so it would be great to here more about it! (I was thinking about doing a 'practice' run as well)

4. Reached the 2nd stage. Plants are around 6" high.
    Under 3 @ 26w CFL's and 3 @ 13w CFL's, so 6 @ 117 watts total.

(The CFLs say 26w = 100w, and 13w = 60w but i'm pretty sure that in comparison to incandescent bulbs?)

I am having a few problems at this stage, and I have diagnosed a couple.

Firstly, I was over-watering. If your new at this and your plants are in small buckets (2Liters like mine!) make sure not to over do it.

Also, I think I had my temp a bit to high, and my lights a bit to close. I switched my fan set-up to blow on the lights, and raised them up a bit.

Lastly, I would not be surprised if my PH is off. I think It may have to do with poorly mixed soli and poor quality seeds, because some of my plants are doing better than others, and they have had identical treatment.

Attached Files:

5. #5 Creativ, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
    Day 20

Ok, I now have my temp (above the lights) stable at around 75 F, but I think my humidity is real low, how can I up the humidity?

Also, my plants older leaves are becoming more yellow, and getting some brown spots....

I will update in a day or two and let yall know if the fan/ light change helped at all.

OPEN FOR FEEDBACK!!! of course.

Attached Files:

6. You can mist them with water using a spray bottle. Or buy a humidifier (Parents often buy them for their children and sell them afterwards, so it's a good thrift store/garage sale/ebay item.) There's also the DIY Option.

I have no growing experience so I can't help with the discoloring issues. Try THIS thread.