1st Grow: FS ICE and Bagseed [400w HPS/MH]

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by The Pen, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Heres the update for today:

Ice #1 is looking great, and the other Ice seems to be coming along just fine. The two bagseeds are another story. Both seem to be showing yellowing/browning on the first set of real leaves (new growth seems ok).

I got my hands on a simple ph testing kit (the kind where you give it a sample of water and add a few drops of the solution). My water is around 7.0, and todays runoff after the watering was between 7.0-8.0 (probably a little closer to 8.0). I know it should be closer to 6.7, so I'm open to ideas on how I can fix this.

Also, could ph problems be the reason the bagseeds are looking so crappy. And if it is, why are the Ice not affected (yet?).

Pics:
    1. Ice #1
    2. Ice #2
    3. Bagseed #1
    4. Bagseed #2
    5. Group shot

Please comment! :)

Attached Files:

2. I could REALLY use some help here. The leaves on the bagseed plants are looking really bad now.

1. Ice #1 - Purple on the tips of the leaves? What does this mean?
    2. Ice again
    3. Bagseed
    4. Bagseed
    5. Bagseed

Attached Files:

3. Isn't that simply nuteBURN?
    If it is nuteburn then you should not feed it but flush it or repot.

It's not getting heatburn or anything for then it would curl its leaves upwards.

4. I dont think it's nute burn because I havent given them any nutes. The two bagseed plants which are showing the most damage are both in Fox Farm Light Warrior soil (which to my understanding has very little food in it).

5. Light warrior has more than just a little food/nutients in it (6-13-30 NPK with increased sulfur). For seed starting i would not have suggested Light Warrior... Light warrior is good after the seedling has developed a bit (4-5 leaf sets) and ready for transplanting into its final pot size.

6. Cant really help with the browning... Its not been watered more than the others? or less... Anyways, nice plants mate. Keep it up

7. Wow I didn't know that. The guy at the grow store said that because it was so fluffy, it would incourage fast root growth in seedlings. Would the Ocean Forest soil be more appropriate for starting seeds?

I think this is all starting to make sense now. The large Ice plant is probably so big because it has the least amount of Light Warrior.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

8. just get some potting soil and perlite to stop the burnage.

For nutes I Recomment GeneralHydroponics Flora 3-part.

9. Thanks for the reply DOC. Would Ocean Forest potting soil work?

Oh and should I be flushing the plants?

And yet another question- When should I think about transplanting into a larger pot.

10. Yes fluffier soil promotes faster root growth. 1. because its easier for the roots to move thru. 2. its gets more oxygen to the roots.

Like i said Ocean Forest is better for seedlings/clones than light warrior, you can use the light warrior after the plant is more established.

11. Ok this is good to know for the future. But for right now, what is the best way to save the plants that are being burned?

Flush?
    Transplant? into a larger pot of Ocean Forest?

I'll try to get some more pictures up later today.

12. Transplant into the Forest asap!

I'd say transplant into bigger pot but not the final size of pot.

13. im using ocean forest right now, and not only 2 hrs. ago i flipped 2 of them out of there pots to see how there roots were. there about 5 wks. old 5 nodes, and 6'' tall, in a 4'' pot.

i noticed the roots were running thru the soil like it wasnt even there. id definatly agree on the better oxygen to the roots part of the ^^^^^^^ above statements.
    this is my first time using this soil, and im very impressed,

ill proably transplant them to there final pot tonight, and veg them, for a couple more weeks, lst ing them the whole time,

i wouldnt worry to much about those ''bottom'' leaves as long as the rest of the plant looks healthy. GOOD- LUCK!!!!!!!!!:p

14. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Flow_DOC_Duece: I took your advice and transplanted into pots of the Ocean Forest soil. Unfortunately all I had were some 8 or 9 inch pots, so took a pretty big step up.

I'll post more pics tomorrow.

15. besides being a space issue, i see nothing wrong with the bigger pot, with that ocean soil, youll fill those pots up with roots soon enough, it seems the roots love that stuff,

good luck!!!!:yay::yay::metal:

16. So I transplanted the seedlings into 9 inch pots with Ocean Forest potting soil. Hopefully things will start to look better now. How much longer should I be vegging these for before I set the timer back to 12/12?

Pictures:

1. Ice #1
    2. Ice #2
    3. Bagseed #1
    4. Bagseed #2
    5. Group Shot

Attached Files:

17. as a general rule of thumb,,,, '' picture in your mind the , finished height, you wont them to be,,,, say 36 '' a plant will, grow another 18'' when in full flower mode.... so at about 18'' till your desired height is when you start flowering,,,

the more nodes you allow it to produce will be the more budsites , youll have!!!!!:hello:

18. Update:

All of the plants are looking much better after close to a week in the new pots. The smaller Ice #2 plant is starting to smell a little skunky but the others are still odorless for the most part.

I was wondering if I should think about topping the larger Ice #1 plant any time soon. It's just starting its 5th leaf set right now.

Pictures:

The plants are in 9 inch pots for size comparison.

1. Ice #2
    2. Bagseed #1
    3. Bagseed #2
    4. Group shot
    5. Ice #1

Attached Files: