1st Grow, feedback plz...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Beeko, Nov 29, 2011.

1. So I'm looking at starting my first grow (w00t), and I was looking for some input and what you guys/gals think of it.

The Setup:
    I needed it to be fairly simple and I don't want to use soil so I've decided on building my own Undercurrent Recirculating Deep Water Culture (URDWC) system. I have a couple of questions about the water pump and air pump for the setup, like would a 1,000 gal/hr water pump be sufficient for a (2) 10 Gal bucket URDWC system? Also, what kind of air pump would I need for it?

Lights:
    My plan was to run 2 plants under CFL's for the veg. stage. I was going to buy (8) "http://1000bulbs.com/product/6052/FC65-S65.html" for vegging, 4 per plant. Then when it came down to flowering I was going to buy (4) "http://1000bulbs.com/product/1605/FC65-S27.html" to run along a 400w HPS.

Now my other question was about the temps. I'm probably not going to have to worry about the temps during the veg. stage seeing as its gonna be all CFL's. But, when I start up the HPS would I need to worry too much about heat? I planned on running a 16" oscillating floor fan on the plants the whole time, so dunno if heat will be a issue. Any input would be much appreciated.

2. Ya with the hps in an enclosed area you will need an air cooled hood with an inline fan to keep temps down. Get a digital thermometer for the grow room or tent

3. what watt HPS? and why not just use your hps light to veg. cut the cost of buyign those CFL's .... i veg under 600w hps and i grow mammoth plants.

4. Thanks for the info, I've decided to bump my hps up to a 600w air cooled instead of 400w. I plan on using the CFL's for their blue spectrum because I've read all over that compared to a MH bulb the CFL's put out more useful blue light.

5. Ya. I use a mix of t5 fluorescents and cfl for veg and use my hps for flower. I know I can use an hps for veg but when u want to have some vegging while some are flowering 2 hps can be expensive

6. I know it's been a while but I changed my plans a little. I've decided to switch from CFL's and just get the Digilux 400w MH & HPS bulbs. So here is my cart currently, just making sure I didn't miss anything and please if you have any opinions that would be helpful.

- (1) Galaxy 400w Electronic ballast: Sun System / Sunlight Supply: GALAXYâ„¢ 400 W 120V/240V 'ELECTRONIC' [902480] - Ballasts, Capacitors & Parts - Lighting Systems - Discount Specialty Farm, Greenhouse & Garden Supply Store - Horticulture Source

- (2) ProGrip Light Hanger: Sun System / Sunlight Supply: ProGrip ROPE RATCHET LIGHT FIXTURE HANGER (1 pair) 1/8 IN [710114] - Light Hangers & Movers - Lighting Systems - Discount Specialty Farm, Greenhouse & Garden Supply Store - Horticulture Source

- (1) ActiveAqua Commercial Air Pump: HydroFarm: ActiveAqua Commercial Air Pump 8 outlets [eco-5065] - Aeration - Pumps, Irrigation & Watering Supplies - Discount Specialty Farm, Greenhouse & Garden Supply Store - Horticulture Source

- (30ft) Air Tubing: Airline Tubing 1ft [PU160] - Tubing - Pumps, Irrigation & Watering Supplies - Discount Specialty Farm, Greenhouse & Garden Supply Store - Horticulture Source

- (1) 400w Digilux HPS: C.A.P. Custom Automated Products: 400w Digilux Digital HPS Bulb (57,000 Lumens) [DX400HPS] - Enhanced HPS Lamps - Lamps - Discount Specialty Farm, Greenhouse & Garden Supply Store - Horticulture Source

- (1) 400w Digilux MH: C.A.P. Custom Automated Products: 400w Digilux Digital MH Bulb (45,000 Lumens) [DX400MH] - Universal MH Lamps - Lamps - Discount Specialty Farm, Greenhouse & Garden Supply Store - Horticulture Source

- (1) EcoPlus ECO396 Water Pump

- (1) Agrotech Reflector

- (1) 16" Wall-mounted Fan

I've attached a very poorly drawn picture of the closet.

Attached Files:

7. Anyone have any experience with the digilux bulbs? Been watching some videos and seeing some people having problems with them getting too hot and melting.