1st grow (DWC/CFL)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by SoBeastly, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Whats up GC, so heres what im workin with, 1 Dinafem White Siberian, and 1 Dinafem Super Critical Haze. This is a stealth cabinet grow
    (60in x 22.5 x 15.25). Right now im running (2) 26watt CFL's on a 24/0 schedule.

My first question is, i want to lower my light schedule to 18/6. they have already had about 48hrs of straight light tho. Can i do this?

I also have 10 reg purple jems seeds but im waiting on those.

Attached Files:

2. Yes, you can lower your light schedule. The girls still seem quite small, I would keep it on 24/7 for another week.

Good luck with your grow. :wave:

3. (They just sprouted 48 hours ago) Will do, thanks man. Should i lower them to 20/4, then 18/6...or is it fine if i just put them straight to 18/6?

4. I would give it a week then go straight to 18/6.

5. Alright, will do. Ill post pictures every week or so.
    Thanks man

6. So....here's a little update, my little "girls" are doin fine...just a little stretched out id say....wat can i do to help this. They are about and inch and a half away from the lights. Any advice!?

Attached Files:

7. Alright...so im having a pH problem...my 10 gal res was 5.5 this morning and as of now it is 6.7...also the bottom leaves are turning a little yellow... Please help!

Attached Files:

8. Come on..!!!! anyone? I researched and some people say it could be my tap water...or my hydroton. My ppm is at 450. How can i fix this, i dont think its good to keep adding pH down every couple hours. HELP GC

9. #9 Unclenugs, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
    What PPM is you're tap water? Are you using any nutrients yet?

Get a strong fan on them, and the stems will thicken as it grows. It's not too stretched, and they look healthy, so don't panic.

10. #10 SoBeastly, Apr 26, 2010
    My tap water is at 365ppm, is that the problem. I was planning on goin to get some distilled wwater tomo and doin a complete res change and nutes even tho i just did 3 days ago. Yes, i have PBP grow and liquid karma in there...only 12ml to 8 gals tho.

Also, any advice, should i LST these or top them. I was thinkin LST

11. #11 Unclenugs, Apr 26, 2010
    Not to worry, bro. 365 PPM is high, and can give you problems, but I've done all of my grows so far using 300PPM tap. What I've learned from growing with tap is that those 365 PPMs have no nutritional value for plants, so you should disregard 365 PPM from you're readings. You're reading now, for instance, is 450 PPM, with only 85 PPM of useable nutrients.

The yellowing you see is you're plant's way of telling you that they're hungry. Nitrogen, specifically, is what the little seedlings are after. Nitrogen produces chlorophyll, giving the plant it's green color. No nitrogen, no green.

pH is a funny thing... It's an art, that even I havn't begun to fully understand. pH is only as stable as the amount of 'buffers' that are in the solution being tested. pH buffers are the nutrients that you put in you're water, for example, a 000PPM solution is very unstable and can change pH with a drop of two of pH solution, whereas a 1000PPM solution is quite stable, and can take a larger quantity of Up or Down to adjust it's pH. Now, not all buffers are the same, the 365 PPM coming out of you're tap, for instance, has very little buffering capabilities.

I'd suggest starting a new batch of water, just to start with a clean slate. Add whatever you're nutrient's bottle (or on the manufacturer website) tells you to add for seedlings and young plants. Most likely, this will be around 300 PPM of nutrients, on top of the tap.

Because the you're solution still has very few buffering capabilities, it will still be a task to check and maintain pH. Things will get easier as the plants can accept higher levels of nutes.

Remember to just add a tiny bit of pH down at a time, wait a while, and check again. I usually space my pHing out over the course of a whole day, making minor changes as needed.

Hope this helps, and doesn't confuse you more. It's complicated business, welcome to the wonderful world of hydro! :bongin:

12. A couple things (I have tried something similar to this before and I ran into some problems like yours):

The tap water is FAR too hard, if you plan on using this water--which I wouldn't recommend--you would need to purchase a special "hard water" version of whatever nutrients you can find. This is bad because
    a)it severely limits your choice of nutrients
    b)the hardness comes from minerals in your water--from the pipes or from the source--of which a significant amount is calcium. While Ca is important for cell structure and the plant's uptake and use of nitrogen, it also binds to other elements of your nutrient to "lock" them out or make them unusable to the plant. You'll end up having plants look more and more deficient no matter how strong you make the sauce.
    c)it takes up valuable PPM "allowance" you could otherwise use for real nutrients

DWC [H] issues:
    This gave me big problems. It was the first system I used to grow (DIY project) and I couldn't wait to build a different one. It seemed no matter what I did, the pH always drifted up and fast at that. I found myself constantly adjusting the nutrients and trying to figure out why my plants looked sick even though I kept increasing the nutrients. Goes to the lock out issue again, only this time as a result of pH. Nutrients are available for uptake at in a particular range of pH and it's a constant juggling act to keep things in check. You'll want a 5.8-6.2 range. Take a look at the chart at the bottom.
    Part of this could be the hard water you're using.

My Suggestions:

It's not very cost effective to purchase 10 gal of distilled water--not to mention a pain in the butt--each time you need to replace your water. I bought a "small boy" filtration system for around $90 and received the added bonus of removing the chlorine and the dissolved minerals in all my water. It's slow at 1 GPM but it does the job and allows me to use compost tea as well.

The rule in mixing sauce should always be "less is more"; however, don't mistake this for a need to underfeed but more as a need to keep it simple. Start with the basic three or two part nutrient and keep it there until you're familiar with the plants' response BEFORE adding supplements and the lot. When you start mixing nutes make sure to start low and build your way up.

Get that water taken care of somehow, and start feeding your babies! They're hungry.

PS Also a photo of my first system. Each plant was a mini-dwc made from 1gal jugs painted black.

Attached Files:

13. Thanks guys, i went out and got distilled water and erythings goin good now.

14. glad to hear!

Those water machines outside grocery stores usually sell 000ppm R/O water for about $0.25 per gallon. if you can get your hands on a couple 5 gallon water bottles, those machines are usually the cheapest way to buy good water.

15. ya, thats wat i went and did. I just topped them both this morning. Ill put some pictures up later. I plan on germinating my purple jem seeds 25 days before i put these into flower.