1st Grow - DWC - 3x Sativa Strains - 1x Indica Big Black

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by breadbudsandbees, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Just thought I'd get this started now, so that I (hopefully) have someplace to turn for help when things go wrong down the road.... or - a place to turn for praise I suppose..? Anyway - I've been a forum guy in other places and I know theres value to these beginner threads on both sides.

Stats

3'x3'x6' Tent
    600W HID light source
    240cfm fan system
    Thermostat switch for fan
    what else...
    DWC bucket system x 6

Strains

AMS sourced - Sativa Mix Pack (Waikiki Queen, Light of Jah, and Purple flower..? something like that)

2. Nice on board! Check my p300 in a 3x4x6.5 adding mars epistar pro II 160. [189w+355w] :) 540 draw of great spec leds! Here's jus p300 in a 2x2. 150g dry off 3 girls IMG_20160914_242752792.jpg

3. Thinking about the p300, lookd great!!:metal:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Great light. Putting mars epistar pro 160 in w it

5. Hey all!

I didn't really give all the info on my 1st post, so here's another timeline up until today:

12/23/16 - Placed seeds in wet paper towel, between 2 plates.
    12/26/16 - Moved sprouted seeds (7/7 sprouted) into rockwool. Watered w/ 5.5ph distilled water
    1/1/17 - Moved small seedlings to DWC
    THIS IS WHERE THINGS STOPPED BEING PERFECTLY SMOOTH
    Decided on "seedlings" level nutrients as printed on Advanced Nutrients Sensi-Grow
    1 mL/L of each part A+B
    Final PPM: 700ish
    PH'd to 6.5ish (this was a mistake, and a lack of understanding wtf we were doing)
    1/2/17 - 1 Waikiki Queen dies
    1/2/17 - Replaced dead WQ w/ a Big Black germinated seed that was about 5 days behind ours
    1/3/17 - 2nd WQ dies
    1/4/17 - Panic Sets in

So we realized that we should have been sticking with PH 5.5 - so we downed it 5.5 (from 7.2-7.4!!) and cut the nutrients in half (350ish PPM total, 200 filtered + nutes)

Things have been going along pretty smoothly since then, we've got bad-ass controls on humidity and temp (holding at 60% & 71-75F, very solidly)

However, I feel that we are slow still and the color and overall health seems mediocre to me. But WTF do I know right?

Please feel free to give me any and all opinions

Today's numbers
    Light: 600 dimmed to 400W MH
    400ppm (again faucet/filtered is at 190ish)
    5.5-6.2ph w/drift
    Water temp: 72
    Air temp: 72-77
    Humidity: 60-65%

Today's pics:
    PF1 is our best plant, although you can see something is wrong with the lower set of leaves
    The smallest is the Big Black - expected to be behind but also seems SLOW
    Then the one with the twisted leaves is a Light of Jah... we have another LoJ in there that is doing much better, almost as good as the PF1

20170111_183438.jpg 20170111_183412.jpg 20170111_183342.jpg

6. Bump.. Nobody cares to comment?

7. No one hardly does bro, just think of this a your own log, if someone pops in then cool, but most of the time it will be quite. The guys with lots of activity in their thread's have been here for some years.

Nevertheless your looking good, I think the PH Flux is what's causing your plants to look a little pale, and some contoured leaves. Try to keep it 5.5-5.8, don't let it swing to high into the 6's.

Other than that looks good man. Keep it posted and you'll have some people stoppin by.

8. Appreciate the response!

I understand that a lot of things won't be responded to.. I just saw it go to page 2 without a reply to my post, so thought I'd give it a bump.

I'll keep updating and I'm sure when we the tent starts to fill up, the replies will spike as well!

On the plants though - I still can't help but think I'm like 1+ weeks slower than the progress I see on other journals - and the color is what has me convinced something is weird.

Thinking about trying the other direction with the nutes on Friday, and go to like 1000ppm (800ppm nutes) to see how they react over the weekend.

9. Do not feed those plants 800ppm. They look good, manage your ph I like 5.9-6.1 and keep your ppms around 200-300( not including your tap water) those plants are not big enough for that concentrated of a nutrient solution. How do the roots look? What's your resovoir temps? I would say they have been slowed down due to your previous mistakes, and if all is well you will see growth in a few days.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I wouldn't do that...just get your PH right. What ppm is your tap?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lol got caught up at work, and Khaos beat me to it! This is wise advice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks for this - keeping me sane!

Reservoir temps are 71-72 I think, probably colder in the morning.. Hoping that as I am having to add water this will get lower, later in the grow - or I'm going to have to go frozen bottle method I suppose... Although the engineer in me is already thinking about a DIY chiller system..

• Like Like x 1
  13. What do the roots look like? Post some pics.

14. I'll snap some pics tomorrow and share. There was 1 plant that with some browning on the roots, others look clean so far.

15. OK, did a water change in all buckets - ended at 500ppm for each.

Increased the light to 600w and lowered to 20" from the top of the buckets.

Continuing to PH the water every day - and today saw a not-good change in the roots. Brown kinda slimey stuff happening.

Went to the hydro store, and didnt really know what to believe there - but bought Great White "good bacteria" additive, and another LSJ-100? Enzyme. Stopped at CVS for h2o2, and epsom salt..

In the end, the plants were looking good still - so I made some new foil covers for the lids and decided to wait it out on doing anything with the new chemicals I bought... Hoping that there was some light going in the hose cut-out I made and the foil will help, we'll see

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. OK, so we're going to try a light-duty experiment on a couple of these buckets w/ the brown roots.

1 bucket will get roughly 3mL/L of 3% H2O2
    1 bucket will get a second air stone - I had an extra pinched-off stone in the tent already.

This went in today, so we'll see how we look in a day or 2 - the plants are still looking pretty happy, maybe just a bit droopier than we're used to - but nothing too alarming.

17. So, 1 day later update.

H2O2 worked like a charm - white roots on that experiment.
    2nd bubbler possibly helping, too close to tell.

Pics from today attached.

Attached Files:

18. Since last update, we decided that the plant with H2O2 didn't like it. Started falling behind quickly, so we switched it back to nuted water + some "great white" supplement. We don't really understand these "beneficial" ingredients, but thought we'd give it a go. The plant is looking better.

Topped our biggest 2 plants, at what I'd call the 4th node. Also removed the other growth points at the lower nodes. We're going for a mainlinng approach here.

Attached Files:

19. Another update...

We've started our topping/mainling process. We like the idea of the symmetry of mainling. Not sure how many total colas we should be targeting for each of these plants. We have 5, so not a ton of room to do 8 or 16 I don't think. Topped 2 plants so far, and they're taking it well.

Also did a water change and upped the nutes to 900ppm total.

Attached Files: