1st Grow Complete :) I Just have a few Questions...!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Smoko3350, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Hey all, this is my first post so its going too be about my first grow

was kindy given a second hand hydro set up ( bulb lights, sheilds, filter fan ect)
    with near no knowledge about growing but with a huge appitite too learn i got underway.

was given 8 clones, from memory (very short term):
    4 Gran daddy purps
    4 Super lemon hayzes

one didnt make it so it left me with 7 babys too grow, learning the hard way about humidity, air flow, induction, extraction, circulation, nutrients, PH levels, lighting scheduled, timers, fans, ect ect ect
    it just gave me a thirst too learn and do things properly.

long story short, they probably spent a little too much time in each stage, they dried well, didnt lose much weight drying and curing..the buds just came out really light... not a bad thing seeing all this bud getting around rock hard full of RPGs

i yeilded about 500 grams give or take a few un trimmed leafs
    i was very precise with my nutrients mixtures and weeks i felt i did a great deal of research and used good quality nutrients i only used

Pure natural tank water (naturally 6ph)
    Canna products :
    Coco A & B
    Rhizotonic
    Cannazym
    Cannaboost
    PK 13-14 (only for the week recomended)

Along with Professors Go Green, aswell as final phase without anything else in the few weeks leading up too flushing plants.

Im quite happy with the outcome of the buds, beautiful green very natural smelling
    ive given it too a handful of people who dont know im growing and they were really happy with the buds, and ive actually sold a little bit ( NOT my intention too sell for profit, i will sell too cover the costs of grow equipment and nutrients the rest is for me so i dont spend money on weed)

my questions are
    What can i do to yield heavier buds? or is yielding light buds due too the strains ?

Ive upgraded a great deal towards my next grow
    Eg: 2x 600w LEDS
    few other items
    il be trying a few different methods of grow, tying down, trimming ect

If you've read this i appreciate it. any feedback is helpful looking for advice and things like that

ive got my nutrients scheduled written down if anyone wants too look over it too give their opinion, can post photos of the yield and all that. thanks

2. 500g is a decent harvest mate. How big is your space?
    Got a wee alarm bell going off aswell. You say your upgrading to 2x 600w leds. What brand are they and what we're you using before.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. i have 13.4 meters cubed area im growing in
    witch is 2.4 wide 2.8 long and 2m high
    im upgrading too 2x VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 600W LEDs
    i was using 2 soda bulb style i think they were both 600w, they had been used in a friends grow a year or so ago so i figure that they have seen better days

4. Right, so you've got 2 x 600w hps.
    They need the bulbs replaced every couple grows but they're so much better than the vipers. I use the mars equivalents of them and I also use hps. There's no comparison. Leds much better for veg, hps miles better for bloom. Buds are twice the size.

Right, here's the lowdown.
    With blurple led/hps and cmh, you want around 50w per square foot with a weight to get of 50g per square foot. That means a 600w hps can cover upto 12 square feet, basically a square metre and can produce around 600g in that space if you fill it to the max with buds.
    2 of those lights can cover a 2m x 1m. You need 4-5 of them to cover your space properly.
    The leds on the other hand are not 600w! They're 250w.
    They contain 100 x 6w leds or some multiple thereof so they get away with calling it a 600 but it's not cos they only run at about 45% power. Both those leds are the equivalent of less than 1 600w hps and can cover 1 square metre between them.
    My advice would be to replace the bulbs on your hps. The best ones are 70 quid. Can get perfectly adequate ones for 20.
    I just got a ballast,reflector, 600w cmh bulb(for veg) and a 600w hps (for bloom) in a kit for 90 quid off amazon and it's thrashing what the 2 vipers can do.
    The only leds that would be an upgrade are cobs or quantum boards but I don't know much about iether tbh.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks so much for the advice mate i appreciate it. You've changed my mind and saved me a few $$$ im going too upgrade the bulbs. I figure the ones i used previously were probably old and used but they still provided a good yield. Thanks mate

6. #6 Smoko3350, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    ive just gone out and upgraded my bulbs, looking back on it i see i was a little overboard with upgrading my lights when i have a perfectly good set up already. i bought philips SON-T 600ws

7. good choice mate. If you can handle the heat then hps is the easiest way to smash it. Just mind only cover a metre per light.
    Next thing to look into that will boost your yields is plant training.
    Personally I find it easiest to just grow 1 plant per metre. 7 weeks veg gives me around 500g.
    No fancy stuff, I just tie them down as they grow. Make it grow horizontally instead of up. Once they’re about 3ft square flip to bloom and easy pounder.
    I’ve tried doing multi plant grows a few times now and I can’t get anywhere near that yield. Going back to monsters after this run.

The most effective grow method I’ve seen I’d have to say is the sog method.
    Grow a mother, take a bunch of clones and plant em in small pots. Enough of them to fill the space. 50 per metre roughly. A good sog growers yield is pretty unbeatable. Never tried it but followed quite a few and it looks easy enough. Seen 1 guy pull 50oz every 8 weeks from same lights as you. Nearly shit a brick lol

8. Yeah nice, im very happy with my purchase. Ive bought two and set them up in my area, i just set thm out even with the room dimensions. Im growing in a room not a tent so i have unreal air circulation and the rooms generally cold so the heats very easy to tackle. I just have no experance in growing in the summer months. Where i live gets quite hot so i think i may have to post pone my grow until it cools down but il be able to tell when its summer. I have 8 clones ready for me in the next few days so when it gets underway il definitely try to tie them down this time.

In an area of 1200 w x 2000x high x 2800 long my set up includes
    2x 600w hps lights philiphs bulbs
    8 plants
    Dose this sound like enough space?

9. More than enough mate. You wont need the full space.

• Agree Agree x 1