1st Grow - Comments please...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Xippper, Aug 9, 2009.

1. #1 Xippper, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
    Hello from Canada...

1st time grower - so I am learning as I go. I have two plants currently. Both are Blueberry. One was started on July 12 and the other on July 23rd. This is an indoor grow using florescents and CFLs. 250 watts total - 12,000 + lumens. 18/6 light cycle.

Near as I can tell, I am doing everything right, Please look at the pics below and share any thoughts or comments. Anything at all. Do the plants look healthy? Does the color look good? How does the size look (Plant one is 28 days old - plant two is 16 days old). When should I start flowering?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the two previous pictures above - things are looking a little crowded in the center of the plant near the stem. Should I be concerned about this?

[​IMG]

Lemme know your thoughts! :)

X

2. Lookin' good! Great job. :D They are drooping a little because you just watered I assume? If not, make sure you are only watering when the pot is dry.

The way they are growing is because they have plenty of light and are developing the inner growth. I'd say the one that is all bunched together with the lower growth is a great one to do some LST (low stress training) on.

Read some threads on LST and get to work on that.

What kind of soil? Are you feeding yet?

3. They look good. Check the pH, they are tacoing a little bit. You HAVE tested the pH of your water, haven't you? :) I agree with Pipe, they are drooping a little, what's your watering schedule?

4. Great looking plants! How about a something to reference the size. I always have trouble judging plants in pictures

5. for a first grow your doing just fine, people worry to hard about the smallest things that dont make a difference in the long run, remember they arnt made from glass and dont need all the attention in the world to make a nice yeild just water when they need wattering feed when they need feeding and you will be on the road of growing your very own plants. il keep a look in and help you as much as i can i feel i know alot about growing so i will do my up most to see you right... peace out...

6. Yeah - I had just watered them about 1 hour before the pics were taken. Watering schedule is pretty much daily as I have had difficulty maintaining a decent humidity level in my grow box. It seems alot of the water is evaporating. Within 24 hrs the soil is crusty and dry and the RH in the grow box is less than 30%.

Soil is a 'soiless' mixture from MG enriched with 0.17 - 0.17 - 0.17. I figured 0.17% is so low - it's next to nothing. pH of the soil is 6.5 (tested it) and I am using distilled water with a pH of 7 (I tested it to confirm). I also added a tiny bit of suphur pellets to keep the pH in the 6.5 range.

I have been feeding with a 20 - 20 - 20 general purpose fertilizer, waaaaayyy, waaaaayyy lower than the recommended dose as I have read that blueberry can be sensitive to over fertilization. I feed about every 3rd watering.

As for size reference. The blue pot in the 1st pick is a 12" pot.

X

7. Very nice for a first grow :)

8. #8 Xippper, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
    Someone please confirm - what does the drooping indicate?

At first I thought it indicated that the plant was getting too much water and drooping because of the excess water weight.

But now that I think about it, I am thinking the complete opposite. My wife pointed out that her houseplants droop when they are 'thirsty' and that they perk up a couple of hours after they are watered.

Drooping would indicate that the plant's cells are dehydrated. Right?
    Properly hydrated cells would be... stiffer - meaning that they plant would not droop.

Am I over-thinking this?

X

9. #9 Xippper, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
    Is this early stage nutrient burn?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What should I do?

X

10. Burnt tip with curling...sign of nute burn cut back if it gets too bad...Water it once without any fertilizer, in an attempt to reduce the nutrient concentrations at the roots, and then for the next watering use fertilizer but less =)

Oh and get some lst on those sexy plants!

11. Looks a helluva lot better than my first grow.

12. looks like a nitrogen problem

13. Why do you think so? I have to disagree. From what I've seen with my own plants nitrogen deficiencies can cause yellowing leaves along with wilting whereas an overdose causes dark dark green leaves.

As I see it just flush once and keep on trucking. MJ plants are pretty hardy I wouldn't worry too much.

14. Okay - so I went ahead and flushed to be on the safe side. It seems to have done the trick as I haven't seen any more signs of burn.

Next question... Plant 1 has now vegged for 30 days - plant 2 for 18 days...

When should I start flowering? Is it based on days? Size? Height?

X

15. #15 Deleted member 166296, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
    Well you can veg indefinitely if you wanted haha...just have to get bigger pot. Flowering really is in your hands...longer veg, bigger plant, more bud. Flowering is based on light...12/12 will flower...MJ plants naturally flower in months of less sunlight.

On the other hand, you could just wait until the plant is naturally ready. When you start to see pre-flowers from the pistils. When the pistils open slightly and hairs come out from them then you could switch over.

[​IMG]

Oh and cool man that your getting close to flowering cause I plan on changing my light setup in a day or two and I'm excited to compare our grows...

16. glad the flush worked, must of been a nutriant lock out in first stages as the bottom of plnats went yellow then the lock out must of been handled only to be stung by a giant dose of fert, but well done and uick thinking for the flush.

where flowering is concernd one its to do with height. from my exsperiance (using a 400 watt hps) when a mj plant flowers it usualy doubles its original size for example. i had 3 plants all flowerd at 12 inches by the end of my grow they were just over 3 foot. so if height is a problem this is to be looked into.

also the age of a plant is to be looked into as the last thing you want is a hermie or if your using normal seeds a male plant.

when you say 30 days is that from seedling or from the 2 week period from when the sprout in to seedling stage? if this is the case they have only been vegginig for 16 days, id give 30 atleast or when ever 12 inches comes first.

also if you planning to force flower i wouldnt just switch the lights from eith 24/0 / 18/6 straight down to 12/12 as this will cause stress on the plant. do this prossess over 1 weeks if your using 24/0 switch down to 18/6 for 2 days then down to 16/8 for 2 days then 14/ 10 for 1 day then the 12/12 switch. this will mimic the natral enviroment for the plant causing little stress.

any more help needed message me... regards

17. Can you explain what you mean by this? Are you saying that force flowering a plant too early can result in males/hermies? Please elaborate.

So, the 1st two weeks from the time a sprout emerges are not considered part of the veg stage?

I have not head of or read this before. I have read that 36-48 hrs of total darkness at the end of the veg stage / start of the flowering stage are beneficial.

There is so much contradictory information around that I don't know what to believe anymore. :confused:

X

18. hi there, yes flowering to early can result in hermie or more male plants. this is because sex isn't decided until 3rd week of vegative growth during this stage if you want more females the conditions the plant needs are critical. low stress perfect temps etc

and yes the cycle a mj plant goes through is like this germination is usualy 3-9 days from sprout to veggative called the seedling stage is 14 days during this stage not nutriants is needed as most soils are nutiant rich enough for the first 2 weeks from this stage. then vegative grow3th happens usualy best suited for 35-45 days during this stage a growth nutriant is required i would sujust a organic nutriant such as bio-biz grow a the is desinged by the dutch exspecialy for cannabiis. after this the flowering stage starts usualy lasts for 6-9 weeks during this stage this is were a flowering nutriant is needed i sujust bio-biz bloom. use this during the flowering stage untill the last 2 weeks where flushig is in need off to give a better taist i usualy use molasis fir this stage gives the bud a nice sweet taist. i wouldnt sujust giving a long no light period when switch from veg to flower a gradual light decrese is best in my eyes.

i have 12 sucssessful grows under my belt and my last grow where i pulled 21oz wet from 3 plants marks my sucsees as a grower. any more questions i will help you through. regards