1st Grow: Coco, LED/CFL, Pineapple Gum

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by NKOTB, Apr 4, 2016.

1. #1 NKOTB, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2016
    This is my first grow ever. Currently have a Black Skull Pineapple Gum in a moist paper towel waiting for it to crack. A little details:
    2x2x4' tent inside closet
    145w LED panel
    2x 23w 2700K CFL
    2x 23w 6500K CFL (ordered online, arrived broken. Going to HP to replace them)
    68w 2700K CFL
    2x 4" mini fans
    5g CoCo mixed with a little perlite hempy bucket; perlite res
    GH Flora trio
    CalMag
    pH Up/Down
    pH and tds meters

This grow is for personal use only. One plant at a time with scrog. I want to fill up the tent with one plant. There's only 24" between the top of the bucket and bottom of LED at its highest height.

Still need to get exhaust fan and DIY carbon filter

2. View attachment 2136600 Woke up this morning to a very small taproot so I planted it. pHing the water was a bit harder than I imagined. It took some trial and error but I have between 6-6.5 (used the droplet tester). Rinsed my bucket with the pH water (no nutes). View attachment 2136599 Next watering I'll add 1 tsp CalMag per the feeding schedule. View attachment 2136601
    It's so damn cold here. The weather is not helping my little bean.

3. #3 NKOTB, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2016
    View attachment 2137907 We've got a little sprout :weed:Changed my mind and decided to follow the nute strength from the bottle. Probably seems dumb but to make sure I don't mess up the dilution, I used a gallon jug with 1 mL CalMag (that's all I'm going to add for the first 2 weeks) and then transferred into a 16.9 oz water bottle and pH down that. I watered with the bottle and got a good amount of runoff in my hempy style container. pH was 5.9. Right now the little lady is sitting under 1 23w 6500k and 1 23w 2700k CFL 18/6. I have one more of each light that I need to add when I get another socket hanger and y-splitter. I've had the worst luck on eBay lately.

My inline duct fan is on back order and won't be in until 4/18. It shouldn't be too bad. I have temps sitting around 77F with the tent zipped AND closet doors shut without my LED on. We're sitting in the low 80s with the LED on but I don't plan on using it for the first 2 weeks either. Things may change.

4. #4 NKOTB, Apr 11, 2016
    View attachment 2138870 Day 3 watered with pH 5.9 to waste
    Noticed a small amount of green on some perlite res, assuming algae, so I covered the container with duct tape. Temps low-70s
    Humidity ~20-30%
    Cotyledons are curling, not sure why and there isn't much growth.
    Added 2 more bulbs for a total of 92w (46w 6500k, 46w 2700k) View attachment 2138867

5. #5 NKOTB, Apr 15, 2016
    View attachment 2140396 Day 6 and I found (and killed) a bug :angry:
    Not sure which kind it was, looked like it could be a centipede. Watered with very light nutes (1/8 teaspoon per gallon of trio, cal mag) pH 5.8. Drain to waste.

Growth seems to be slow. Working on my patience. Guess I need to buy some bug killer.

6. #7 NKOTB, Apr 22, 2016
    13 days old, first 1/4 tsp nutes and cal mg. Started with 1/8 tsp per gallon about 5 days old and noticed a small growth burst but since then it's slowed down considerably. Roots are white and looking ok, I suppose.
    View attachment 2142900

FIM 2 days ago and not noticing much of anything.

View attachment 2142903

Decided to add the LED light (hanging ~16" above plant top) upping the total watts to 237. Humidity is still super low, going to add a bowl of water and hope for the best.

Thinking about switching from hempy bucket to a DIY fabric bag (one of those reusable grocery bags). I'm a noob and want to decrease my chances of overwatering as much as possible. Fabric bag with 50/50 coco-perlite, I imagine overwatering would be nearly impossible.

7. #8 NKOTB, Apr 23, 2016
    View attachment 2143428

Added the LED last night and noticed new growth! There's no water in the res but the coco is still moist so I'm going to water tomorrow. Every other day schedule. Humidity is 31% but temps have been been hitting 90 F with no exhaust fan and the closet door closed. Fan was suppose to ship out today so hopefully it'll be here soon.

View attachment 2143427

8. Looking good bro keep up the good work I'm doin my first grow too

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks man. I'm learning a ton and just trying to make it to harvest lol

10. Penelope (my wife named her) is droopy and sad. Ugh. Things were going pretty well, not so much anymore. Started a thread in sick plants hoping for some answers. View attachment 2144107

11. #12 NKOTB, Apr 28, 2016
    Bounce back on 1000!

View attachment 2145609

These plants are so resilient. This pic was yesterday. Today I watered with 1/2 strength nutes and transplanted to the cloth bag. The red bag has 2.5 gallons worth of coco/perlite with straight perlite in the bottom. I forgot to take pics but I feel like Penelope is back on track. Plan to veg for 60 days (at day 18 now) or until I can fill up a 2x2 scrog net.

Currently attempting to germinate a White Strawberry Skunk in a paper towel.

12. Lookin nice :)

13. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. She's beautiful! How old?

I just installed the net 8 inches above the medium, waiting for the plant to grow to it. She's short, only 4 inches tall. View attachment 2145918 View attachment 2145917

15. 17 days

16. My plants are all still pretty short one is 17 days and the rest are 14

17. [​IMG]

18. Working on a stealth grow box dresser tho right now for them [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Waiting for my fans I ordered to build the vent system and I got to hinge tho door on and seal it should be pretty good right now I just got the door kinda leanin on the dresser bc I bought the wrong hinges