1st Grow- Closet Cabinet CFL - WW and Cheese

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by qtrpdstick88, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Background:
    I just took a few bags to the face of some OG kush from my Zephyr Ion, now I’m procrastinating on writing my lab report for mammalian physiology, therefore I’ve decided to go ahead and start up my report for on the up and coming closet grow. This will be my first official full grow, so I’ve decided it’ll be worthy of creating a grow journal.

I have yielded almost 10 ounces in last year’s indoor veg/ outdoor flower experimental project with middy bagseed. I germinated 12 seeds, 10 moved on to the vegetation period in red solo party cups in dirt soil (haha) under a little over 100watts (I know it wasn’t enough)… planted them outdoors then in july… by early august, the sex could be determined. After a few storms and a few males, the result was 4 females which were harvested a little early in mid October because the crop were under attack by caterpillars and I still yielded 7oz of smokeable beaster quality herb. After lingering on both grasscity and rollitup for a little over a year gathering much needed information, it is time to start a quality seed grow.

Objective:
    Using a cabinet with a volume 10.24 cubic feet and powered by 260-380watt CFL, I will attempt to successfully harvest 2-3 plants in hope of yielding >2.5oz with soil using the technique of low-stress training aka LST.

Materials:
    The Grow Cabinet
    Sterlite 2-shelf Storage Cabinet - $40
    (volume: 2.16’ x 1.58’ x 3’) = 10.24cubic ft
    Lighting/ Electrical
    (3) 65watt 2700K CFL - $16 each ($48)
    (3) 68watt 6500K CFL - $19 each ($65 after shipping)
    4 socket vanity light fixture - $12
    ¾” PVC pipe ----NEED
    (4) ¾” PVC elbow – 90 degrees ------ NEED
    (2) ¾” PVC T-Joint ----- NEED
    Appliance cord for hard wired light fixture - $8
    1 roll of Aluminum reflective tape - $7
    All-weather heavy duty timer- $20
    Surge protector strip – already have
    Heavy duty extension cord – 12’ - $10
    120mm ball bearing computer fan – rated 260cfm- $31.98
    15’ Chain - $5
    Pack of Hooks - $4
    Ventilation/ Filtration
    Intake
    (2) 2” PVC pipe elbows – 90 degree ¼ bend - $1.50 ($3)
    (2) 2” PVC Trap Adapter - $2.31 ($4.62)
    Exhaust
    4” PVC pipe – 2ft section - $8
    4” drainage hole adapter - $3
    ***(fan listed above, see electrical)
    Box of Activated Charcoal---- NEED
    Bags for Charcoal ---- NEED
    Substrate/ Nutrients/ Potting
    (2) 10” round pots - $4 ($8)
    Miracle Grow Organic Mix
    Perlite
    Seeds
    (2) Seedsman Seeds --- fem. White Widow - $8 each ($16)
    (1) Greenhouse Seeds --- fem. Cheese - $12
    (3) Other assorted feminized freebies that i can't think of right now…

Procedure:
    WILL BE UPDATE LATER… need to start my real lab report…
    NEXT UPDATE: PICTURES OF CABINET AND BUILD.

2. lets see the cab buddy

3. #3 qtrpdstick88, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2011
    I have decided to save the cheese and go with 2 WW and 1 Delicious Seeds Il Diavolo (Auto). So germination has taken place, started yesterday and they are ready to get slipped into some soil now. Germination process consisted of wet paper towel folded and seeds placed inside. Wrapped it in aluminum foil to keep light out and put into box as it was about 80 degrees with 2 bulbs on. Hopefully in the next couple of days, we'll see them shoot out the soil.
    IMG_1104.JPG
    Front of Cabinet
    IMG_1107.JPG
    Rear of Cabinet
    IMG_1111.JPG
    it's not completely light proof and the wiring and fans aren't finished yet
    IMG_1113.JPG
    germination

idea of box is from a fellow GC member and then integrated other ideas gathered from various other GC/RIU members.

Please I would like to hear any constructive criticism.... I'm already preparing myself to hear a lot about my box size to plant ratio, lighting, and my substrate... oh and i'd like to add that i'll have about 260watts 16,000 lumens at 75% 6500K for veggin and then i'll transition to a 50/50 split with about 400watts at 24,000 lumens for flowering... Thinking about doing a SCROG set-up then also.

4. so they have popped and sprouting. the first WW is stretching quite a bit (my fault kept the light too far). Il diavolo (in mug) is looking the best. however the second WW is not looking promising as the first set of leaves have yet to really break ground and is turning a slight yellow color.... hopefully she finds the courage to shoot up with her sisters.

Attached Files: