1st Grow - CFLs, Bagseed (Journal)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by sourjello73, Nov 10, 2011.

1. #1 sourjello73, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011
    This is my first grow. Its a closet grow and I'm using 1 40w CFL for each plant and plan to upgrade to two per plant. I have 3 plants in 6" pots, 2 plants still in the peat pots, and one super ghetto hydro grow just to try (I dont even wana hear about that haha :p). They get watered when they're dry and today I started feeding with Jack's Classic 20-20-20 fertilizer @ full strength, and plan on using it once a week. My plants dont really look too good at all tbh :( If somebody could tell me whats wrong with them it would be more than appreciated. I'm not trying to invest a ton of money into my grow, its mostly just an experimental thing. And as of today it is week 2. And yes those are pepsi can light covers. :rolleyes:

Plant one, lost a leaf on day 7, just kinda dried and fell off. Was still green when it came off.
    [​IMG]

Plant two, has the most growth so far. Gonna transplant tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Plant three, the ghetto hydro grow.
    [​IMG]

Plant four, the sickly one, any diagnosis?
    [​IMG]

Plant five, so far so good :confused:
    [​IMG]

Plant six, day 8 leaf started crisping, by day 10 it crisped away into a half a leaf, the crispy part is a very bright vibrant orange. Other than that new growth looks OK
    [​IMG]

The setup
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. You started feedin to early man and you have some nute burn... Just lay off the nutes for awhile. What soil are ya usin?

3. You're right. Over night plant 4 burned pretty bad. I flushed them all pretty well. I'm using like 40% outdoor, and 60% organic potting soil I found at my moms house haha :rolleyes:

4. Yeah definitely over-nuteing. Plants usually don't need any nutrients added until weeks 3 or so (depending on the kind of soil you are using). Also, you will need a lot more lights per plant than that in a week or two. One light per plant works fine for the first week or two maybe but when it gets to week three or four they will be much bigger and one CFL per plant definitely won't cut it.

Otherwise, it may be ghetto but it should still work out.

Good Luck,

-L2T

5. Sadly, I nute-burned plants 2 and 4 to a crisp (lesson learned I guess :rolleyes:). I now have 3 healthy plants lefts, and one struggling plant. My ghetto hydro is still working! I'm looking forward to how well it works. Plant #6 is the healthiest so far. (I'll rename them with letters) #6 is heavy indica, and even my father who has years of experience growing outdoor in cali said it looks like a good strain.

6. Photo update!
    Day 17

(gonna give the surviving plants new numbers)

Plant #1 - Homemade hydroponics. (this ones about 4 days younger than the rest)
    [​IMG]

Plant #2 - serious nute burn but still growing.
    [​IMG]

Plant #3 - lost a leaf so it looks kinda deformed, but still growing!
    [​IMG]

Plant #4 - ...my baby :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hows it look?!
    Slow for 17 days huh?..

7. #8 sourjello73, Nov 14, 2011
    Bump?
    Is this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Luster-Leaf-1845-Rapitest-Digital/dp/B0032WFD5K/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1321239407&sr=1-4"]ph tester[/ame] thing worth buying? Or will it just be a piece of shit.

8. It's a janky piece of crap, if you plan on growing for a while invest in a decent one up front, like $40-50, instead of wasting money on crap like I have done.
    Also, sub'd. I like those can reflectors, I need to make some sort of reflectors myself.

9. Your right it does look a bit slow growth wise, but that is down to your 40w cfl u do need more light dude then u shud get more growth, have you thought about reflective materials in your cupboard at all? I think the pepsi idea is cool imo lol

10. #11 sourjello73, Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks dude, thats what I figured. I'll look into spending some more dough on equipment. Haha I'm a bargain hunter but if necessary, I'll pay whatever it takes. You get what you pay for right?
    And haha thanks man, they're relatively effective and practically free! Just cut the top of the can of and cut a rectangle in the side for light to come through. Put the bottom of the can at the top of your light and a little duct tape will keep it in place (;

Yeahh, I know, but plant #4 is starting to catch up. On the 4th leaf node today. And yes, I've been trying to get my lazy ass to go the the hardware store all weekend now to get more light. I'll probably go today. Reflective materials, should I? And thanks bro ahaha

11. SHIT plant 4 grew up into the light and the light burned two of the leaves >.< wtf will it be ok?

12. Hi all!
    Its Week 3!

My plants are looking OK, and one is looking great :D I fed for the second time today. (once a week)

#1 The leaves started looking sick yesterday, what might it be :confused:
    I'm growing it like bamboo but am going to transplant to soil tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

#2 I cut off the nute-burned leaves and it seems to be recovering well.
    [​IMG]

#3 Slow growth but looks healthy :confused:
    [​IMG]

#4 the one I burned with the light the other day :mad:. Doesn't seem to give a shit as its grown a bunch since then :D Its on the fifth leaf set and all I can say is I hope its a she!
    [​IMG]

Any feedback? :smoke:

13. Had to make post #420 in my grow thread xD

So. Plant 4's leaves look kinds wrinkly and curled so I'm worried. I asked my father and he said its nothing. My grow mentor said its nothing too but I'm worried. Regardless my herbs are looking good and growing at a good rate! #1's transplant went well and I'm getting ready to LST #2 and #3

14. Nice catch! 420th post ftw. The grow looks good, iv never grown but just seeing the plants grow is so fascinating. Keep the pics coming.

15. So. When should I flip to 12/12? I'm still on 24/0. Would 18/6 speed up growth at all? Wednesday will be day 28

16. you got atleast another month at least

17. I dont have the space or light for huge plants. And on #4 the leaves are yellowing in the middle. What could that be?

18. hmm... could possibly be iron def... picture please