1st Grow - CFL - Mr Nice Guy - Stealth/Closet

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by bwitsne, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Got the seed from bagseed, shit was dank. Pretty much everything that is being used to grow this is from pre existing things in the house I live in. Only thing I paid was $9.xx for an over-sized amount of soil, but hopefully I can get more plants going soon. Lots of 48watt CFL's. How many do I need to grow this properly? 3? And I have timers for the lights when I end up needing it, but I do have a old aquarium pump, wondering if i could use this to auto water my plant each day having a small reservoir of water and timing it just perfectly to dispense water just enough to where it starts to drain (ill time it and set it). Is this possible or am I just high?

Seed:

[​IMG]

Pics throughout today (day 1)

This morning:

[​IMG]

Here it is just at the end of the day now:

[​IMG]

Close up:

[​IMG]

Its grown pretty fast for the first day I say.

2. Pics of setup would be cool.

Good luck!

3. either your soil is crap with no nutes in it which is impossible or you are not watering properly but that seedling should be dark green as a seedling not yellow maybe not enough Nitrogen ?

4. You got any pics of setup for the grow?

Cheers dude

5. No, this is false. The cotyledons contain the energy and nutrients to last the plant it's first week or so. This is not a soil issue. Maybe pH or bad genetics.

6. #6 kushkilla420, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
    yeah N15 that plant isnt even 2 days old why dont you look at it a little better buddy if it were even a week old the cotlydons should still be green your info is false i think its a Nitrogen problem forsure i had the same problem when i started growing years ago but you also could have overwatered for being its first day above soil.

7. As I said, the plant doesn't get nutrients from the soil until a couple weeks in, when the cotyledons die and fall off is when the plant starts using the soil as it's nutrient and energy source since the cotyledons can no longer provide for the plant. This is shown by the ability to grow plants for the first few days in rockwool, which contains no nutrients at all, the plant doesn't need it yet.
    Just a bad seed, not a soil issue, it can't be, yet.

8. I don't have the setup finished, right now its just begining. I am about to go to homedepot and stuff to get supplies soon that I need (light socket adapters). What nutes should I get for this in the veg and flowering portions? I can only get stuff from walmart and homedepot and lowes.

9. #9 bwitsne, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2010
    Updates:

What nutes should I get, can anyone tell me?

I have 4 places to goto: Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, The Garden Center

Temporary setup, i currently have 2x 26Watt CFL and 2x 42Watt CFL.

I also have one of these: Lights of America 42W FluoreX Replacement Bulb (9142B)

But it wont just turn on when I put it in a socket adapter. How can I use this. Its a 42watt,6500k lumens.

I've also got the replacement-mylar (emergency blanket), and few other things that I am going to use in this grow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember, this is temporary. I like to be creative. :)

[​IMG]

10. Have you tried a timer plug socket and attaching the extension cable to this. It should control the time and length of time the power supply (lights) are turned on for. It should work for the lights of america bulb you have.

11. Will try, but these four lights right now are plenty for the veg. Ill throw it in there when the flowing comes in but right now this baby is going to be under 24/0 for the next 10 days (which will be the end of two weeks). Then I will switch to 20/4 for the last two weeks of veg.

Updates:

Tote:

[​IMG]

Yes I added a piece of glass from a picture frame for a window:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to light proof the rest of it! BAM!

Light proofed the rest, installed fan and hooked up wiring.
    Will this little fan cool the whole box? I am worried about too much heat buildup.
    I currently ONLY have an exhaust right now, I plan to add a intake, but will this do for now?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sealed around the fan for great airflow.

[​IMG]

From window:

[​IMG]

Stealth!

[​IMG]

Comments?

12. #12 bwitsne, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010
    Update, the little girl died today. Mainly cause of too much heat and not enough airflow.

I learned a lot, but I am about to go clip some clones off this kids outdoor and bring it in door now. Wish me luck. I am going to try this method of using honey for the root gel. And then putting it in dirt, I am going to try to get like 4-6 clones.

13. haha this is the same setup i got for my grow, im already a few weeks into flowering so check it out the link is in my sig. My advice is to add another exaust fan and cover up the tin foil with something white. Mylar is great but paper works too haha. I have heat issues with my box and im using less watts than you, but my fan is underpowered a lot. I like your set up though its the same concept i was going for :) +rep
    Don't be discouraged by your plant dying though, im getting the smallest yield ever but its all part of the learning experience

14. #14 bwitsne, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010
    Well I am going to end up stacking another one one this. I've got two mylar sheets in front me. I went to walmart and got a bunch of extra stuff, 1 extra fan. Later today I am going to go get 2 more computer fans. 1 For intake and another for outake. And I got a mini 6" fan from walmart thats silent. This one will be within giving airflow.

Also, when my plants are young, I will only use two 26watt lights. And then when they get a little bigger and I expand my setup another tote taller I will add the rest of my lights.

This is fun, and its the summer. :) Think I've found a new hobby.

15. Looking awesome dude one thing though that would greatly increase your light is to mount them sideways. Down like that u only get about 25% of the available light. Either that or get another Y splitter. Any angle is better than none. :hello: good vibes!

16. Yeah, the next setup will be better. Right now I am just going to try to construct my setup for now. I can't gain access to clones or anything right now, so I will construct my stealth grow, and test it out with some reg seeds until I am able to order some seeds online.

17. Hi I`m new too this stuff also and I like your idea for starting the plants out but by looking at your pics of the fan your using I can tell that it was gonna be a heat issue waiting to happen. I build custom PC`s and have some idea of heat issues in small enclosed spaces. I would go with atleast 3 bigger intake fans and 1 exhaust fan, the exhaust fan doesnt need to be as big as the intakes becuase the other fans sucking air in will help the exhaust fan push the hot air out. Have you tried pointing a small house fan on low setting in the direction of the box`s air intake hole?

18. With a couple CFLs? He's not going to need anywhere near that kind of cooling setup. A PC produces a lot more heat than a couple CFLs. It's not an applicable comparison.

19. #19 bwitsne, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
    I too have built several computers, one of which is right next to me in an Antec 900 case. Has 4 fans on it, lol. But to my point. I have FINISHED my setup now. It now has 4 120MM pc fans that are all under 19.8db (they are super quiet). I soldered them all together and hooked up the power. All works great and has wonderful airflow. And no, this setup is to be as concealed as possible. If my parents open my closet, they shouldn't (smell, see) anything out of the ordinary. I am the only one that knows about this. 2 are intake and 2 are output. The boxes are stacked with the 2 intake fans on the bottom and the outtake near the top box. This way (since hot air rises) the hot air will be taken out and cool air will be taken in from the bottom.

And I know, but my new setup is prime. Pics will be up soon.