1st grow (CFL / Bagseed / soil)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Poe_Ettic, May 25, 2009.

1. Im so excited to finally start my first grow. This is basically just a run to determine the sex of the plants so i can get the real shit goin. I started with twelve bagseeds and actually only expected five max to pop but i ended up with NINE!!!! I have them all in a mix of mushroom compost and Pike's Potting Soil.

I am groing in a small two drawer metal filing cabinet. I have the setup so that the top drawer is not in there in the bottom drawer pulls out. Right now as you can see in the pictures I have the bottom drawer on the top track to keep these little ones close as I can to my 4 x 26 watt 6500k bulbs. I know i need more light but i dont really have the space so i painted everything white and made a reflective hood for them to try and use as much light up as I can.

I have my pots labeled one through nine and just got my first sprout to come through the soil this morning. I germinated in paper towela dn the first six came out normally. The last three I had to use a special method I found on here last night. I took a pair of pliers and lightly cracked the remaining six seeds very lightly. Then this morning three of the last six had tap roots so i potted them. The insides of the last three were brown and dad so i toosed them. NOW FOR THE PICTURES!!!!!

[​IMG]
    This is my Veg cab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here are my nine little ones.

[​IMG]
    This is a shot of the 4 cfl's that I have mounted on the top in a reflective hood.

[​IMG]
    THIS IS MY FIRST SPROUT EVER!!!!!! It came out of pot #2 as you can see.

[​IMG]
    Here is a close up of my sprout.

Well thats it for now. I am so excited about this i cant wait to see which ones are female. I'll update whenevr I have any changes.

2. good luck dude keep us posted

3. Okay i know two posts in one day is kinda crazy but I couldnt help myself when I came home and saw that another sprout had broken the soil. I am watering each pot with 100mL of water that is distilled i think is the term. I am going to keep the bags on until the first set of true leave comes and #2 is starting to show of those pre-leafe nubs. lol

[​IMG]
    GROUP SHOT!!!!!

[​IMG]
    Here is the new one peaking out of the soil with the little pro in the back trying to steal the show. lol

[​IMG]
    Here is its close up. #4!!!!!

[​IMG]
    #2 streching its legs and his little leaves

[​IMG]
    And the close up for #2

Im guessing that by 2morrow afternoon all of them will have broken the soil. Im ready. lol

4. no dont keep the bags on and put them under light . they need to breath just like you when you came out of your mother . no pun intended. gongrats though and good luck

5. ok i guess your right that makes sense I just thought they neede more humidity. Im also going to turn on the fan I setup to start blowing on them.

6. HELP!!!!!! Im not gonna get too dep into detail bottom line is that due to some mistaken identity and human error two of my seeds are cracked with not much tap root and one of my sprouts was resuced from the garbage can. It is alive I think but yellow and wilted. I dipped it into some hormone and put it in soil and immediatly into the cab...

do you think it will survive?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So basically I am down to two seeds that have fully popped the soil. Two that are well on their way. Two seeds craked with stunted tap roots one seeds MIA and a sprout rescued from the trash can wilted and yellow...

hell of a start huh. :cry:

7. bump bump bump?

8. UPDATE TIME!!!!

Well that little sprout that i resuced from the trash didnt make it so now im down to four plants. Well actually i would say three really. On of my sprouts doesnt look too promising and the two seeds I have in the jiffy pellets havent popped the soil and im not sure they actually will. I have my fan moving at partial speed to blow on the plants. I think it is making them much happier. I have also started them on an 18/6 light cycle because i heard when they have a dark period hormones go to thr roots to promote growth and i guess thats a good thung huh. lol

Lets get to the pics...

[​IMG]
    Here is the group shot of my current survivors. lol

[​IMG]
    This is my fans blowing over the little ones

[​IMG]
    This is the newest of the healthy sprouts, #6 popped yesterday and seems to be doing fine.

[​IMG]
    Here is the runner up for the award of healthiest plant. #4 is coming along nicely

[​IMG]
    And here is my bread winner. I hope that this one turns out to be female.

[​IMG]
    Here is a better shot of #2. You can kinda see it's second set of real leaves coming in

[​IMG]
    Last but sorta kinda least is this one. This one has had some trouble from the start. One of the last to crack the seed shell. The last to sprout and its just not looking good. Kinda yellowish brown but im not giving up on this one yet.

Also I am getting kinda irritated with my current setup because it is kinda cramped and sorta rigid so I am working on another box to veg my plants in as we speak.

[​IMG]Here is a shot of it so far

:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

9. your soil looks soaked and it are you using tap water to water your plants?

you should let tap water sit out for 24 hours. could be slowing your growth

keep it up nice new box took me 3 set ups before i was happy

10. I just watered them b4 the pics that might b why they look soaked. I am using tap water and mine usually sits out more than 24 hrs. Thanks for the compliments and the advice much appreciated. Right now I am watereing pretty much every other day because it seems like thats all they need at this point

11. it doesnt need water that often soil just has to be damp stick your finger in there and check the moister those little things need more co2 and oxegen than water . tap water is good . has a good amount of nutes and minerals for a seedling

12. well what do you guys think about my little sick one? any advice?

13. wait it out is all you can do . you win some you lose some

14. Ok welcome back my internet has been down for what seems like forever and since then I have had a few changes. First of all that half dead little sprout I had is now...fully dead. The little guy started to rot yesterday so i trashed him and am now down to three sprouts. The two unpopped seeds refused to pop so i trashed them also.

AND THE MAIN EVENT CHANGE...dun dun dun duh...i finished the new box and it is fully functional now. Here are my most recent pics. I will probably take some more 2nite.

[​IMG]
    Here is my new box it is a wooden play fridge from the goodwill. lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Let me know what you guys think

[​IMG]
    Here is my utility "section". lol

[​IMG]

I have a small fan setup inside also trying to help move some air. The walls are covered in reflective tape and the shelf is adjustable. 8 26w daylight bulbs with three plants. What do you guys think so far?