1st Grow, Bagseed CFL LST

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by korsen, May 20, 2010.

1. That will be a problem with air. You'll get fresh air in spots but you won't get any circulation in others. Wherever you put your exhaust fans only, you're going to have them pushing air out from wherever they get it. If the negative pressure sucks air in where your fans are exhausting out you're not going to get fresh air to anything. If you have two sets of fans, one on top for intake, a shelf under that, and exhaust fans underneath that, you can have intake fresh air across all your plants and have both intake and exhaust on the same side for stealth. Negative air pressure works to keep the box cool and is something manipulated to typically dictate computer fan placement.

If I have an exhaust fan by the hottest part of my box, that will cool off as the box will be trying to force air into the box, but will only cool across where that air enters. If you specifically cut a hole or put an air leak, that's where the air will come from.

What i'm trying to say, is that if you have intake fans creating positive air pressure, you'll typically have excess hot air trying to escape from the pressure - but here is where you have to direct that exhaust. So if you have your intake next to your plants, you force air in, the plants stay cool and fresh, and you can have a exhaust port that the intake fans force the air through.

So here's an even better idea. Put your intake fans at the bottom of your box by the window side. Put a shelf above them on an angle as if it were trying to reach the top of your box, but leave some space. Put a single hole with a filter above the shelf in the space you have left and assuming you have no air leaks, your intake fans will cool and fresh your plants, and the pressure from the intake will force the air out your exhaust hole without the need for an extra fan(s). This takes care of hot air buildup, unnecessary steps, and reduces the amount of noise/smell. You should work with two intake fans for now, and see how the pressure goes and if it's not too much for the plants you can add more. The plants need CO2 in order to thrive, so you don't want too much air being pushed through or it becomes diluted and they won't grow properly. Cheers.

2. Chopped a leaf off one of my weaker clones, it was going bad. gave my clones some nute water, gave the main plants a bottle of plain water. No news.

3. If you follow my thread, this is my first grow so i'm noob at growing too but I think I just got lucky with decent plant genes. If you read it from the beginning i've learned alot but there's plenty of times I look at my plants and just go WTF!

4. Sup all. Found some flat white paint i had leftover in my shed. It was mostly putty but some of the oil was left and I threw a touch of water in there to get things going.

So the top flaps of my box have been coated 1 time on the reverse side so I can experience the difference visually first without wasting the taping I did.

If i have enough paint, i'm going to put 2-3 coats depending, and if things are indeed brighter i'll paint the rest of the inside of my box. So maybe we'll see my bitches grow up some yeah?

5. whats the news? are you still feeding water only?

6. #107 korsen, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
    I'll probably do pics tomorrow, for now everything is growing well, the lattice is keeping my topped plant from growing out of control. I'm not sure if my clones grew because I didn't leave the tops of my box on overnight, or because I gave them water yesterday. However, my clones grew a great amount overnight - the first hook clone pushed out it's leaves some more, they're still light green but I know there's nutes in the soil it can use so i'm not giving it anymore of that for a bit - the other tiny clone pushed out 3 blades which were light green fingers yesterday, and are now almost full leaves and have also turned their light green foliage dark :)

Hook clone number 2 isn't showing any growth just yet but the leaves are still fully green and it's doing well. Put a second coat of flat white on my box cover yesterday - we'll see if it's grown any later on today, see if the flat white actually improves their light absorption.

Cheers.

EDIT: Nerdi i'm still giving them plain water. I give my clones a little nute water here and there when I think their leaves stay light for too long, but otherwise they get plain water as well. I can't tell if the leaves are repairing the burnt tips though - they look the same to me but I haven't checked real closely.

7. My first hook clone is just pushing itself out nicely but i'm concerned at how it's pale green havent darkened up yet. I'm not too worried because it keeps pushing out leaves but the remaining clipped lower ones are browning up a bit and the front edges are dead.

My less endowed plant's clone, it's three fan blades that came out greened up but the 1/3 at the end of each leaf is yellow and the tips are a reddish color.

My second hook clone hasn't shown any movement but the leaves are still green and supple.

So since I woke up early enough I put my clones in the sun and gave them plain water first to moisten the soil and then dropped a minor amount of nute water by the stem to get things going a bit.

I hope my first clone greens up :(

8. Have you been watching or testing pH? I've been reading a lot about it and am thinking about picking up a test kit from walmart.

I flushed my soil last night for the first time. It gave my plants a boost to get them cleaned out.

9. #110 korsen, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
    It might help you at the moment, since this is your first grow and it's easy to overdo anything, so maybe your plants liked it, but they're also small enough to recover from nute loss.

When you're doing things by eye like myself, my plants are already so big that i'm sure if i flushed them now i'd have a huge problem on my hands because I would have to treat issues i'm having all over again from the beginning. For now, it's just fresh plain water instead of nute water. I wouldn't know exactly how much nitrogen or potassium... they're good the way they are, I don't have leaves turning funny colors and dying out on me so right now my problems are few: Leaves turning? No growth? Does it need water?

Remember, the plant is a weed, it can survive quite a bit on it's own, i'm just looking for that sweet spot the plant likes, it's gotten this big so far and the clones are doing well so i'm assuming that if my clones are still alive and well my plants should be doing similarly well because I feed them identically.

Just be careful what and when you do things to your plants, you might not be able to go back once you've done it. If it's not broken, don't fix it right?

EDIT: I never got the ph stuff, but if you do get one and you think you're going to continue growing, even if it's one plant, an unlimited digital tester would be invaluable and cheap. As far as pH is concerned, you know certain soil enters with a default pH. As the plant consumes nutrients certain nutes are removed, and the pH changes - obviously certain nutes are acidic, others are not. Since plain water is the center line almost, whenever you give your plants some, you change the line a bit toward the center. I was told burn marks like you're smoking a joint is a chemical burn = you've overdone a particular nutrient and it's causing nutrient burn - at this point, I give them plain water, and i still need to go see if it's worked. I was then told if the "burn" is a regular brown like it's dying, you've got a pH problem. So if memory serves, my plants have toned town the nute problem and are starting to correct the pH issue. See if that helps. Cheers. (maybe pics later today)

10. Ok so I must've left my plants alone for too long, as my hook plant has gotten some diseased leaf or two, looks like phosphorus/potassium with a bit of nitrogen. My topped plant might have too much nitrogen, one plant got it's mites back but I found some anti-mite spray for roses in my shed so i'll use that on it.

So what i've done based on how my plants looked this morning was to give each a bottle of plain water, I gave the topped plant two bottles of plain water in case it's got too much nitrogen in there, and as well as the plain water, I gave only my hook plant a fresh batch of nute water. I also gave my clones just nute water. Hopefully my hook plant recovers.

Pics! Whee

Cheers. Hopefully the damage doesn't get any worse.

Attached Files:

11. Well the two leaves that were dying on my hook plant are totally dead. Brown leaves with dark spots and tough as bark to pull off. So the nute water looks like it helped my hook plant as a few of it's budsites were reaching healthily. However the tips of these leaves are yellow with dominating black dots.

My other three normal plants look just as good as they have been but with minimal growth. The topped plant looked like it grew fairly well although the leaves are still rather dark and a bit droopy.

My second hook clone isn't showing any signs of growth yet but it's still healthy, my first hook clone is doing well with growth but the leaves just stay stubbornly light. My other clone is growing at a good pace and the leaves greened up some as well.

I gave each of my clones a bit of nute water, gave the second hook clone some plain water as well. My hook plant received a bottle of nute water, and the rest of my plants got plain water. All plants got a fresh bath of seltzer to promote absorption of plain water where needed.

12. Gave my clones a bit more nute water this morning and sprayed the rest of my plants with the rose anti-mite stuff. I put my clones in the sun this morning and noticed nearly invisible spider web strings. I noticed I have a lady bug, a jumping spider, and these miniature bedbug/tick looking things in one of my clone containers that are basically just a reddish brown oval body.

On my main plants, I could see a leaf beginning to turn yellow on my topped plant and my hook plant, and the other plants weren't really showing decent growth so I gave each plant a bottle of nute water.

Cheers.

13. I think you're not having growth from pH lockout. When your plants use nutes out of the fertilizer the pH keeps rising higher and higher. It's probably somewhere above 7.5 right now. It should be walking between 6.5-6.8. Try flushing a plant and see what happens. Just fill it with water in the bath tub. Get a 2 cup measuring cup and fill it. And keep filling the soil w/ water until 1/3 of the water you put in comes out. So if you put in 3 cups one cup should come out the drain holes in the bottom. Give it a try. After 24 hours your plant will have a growth spurt. I was having similar issues.

14. Growth is fine, it's average for what it's doing but i'm not seeing any issues on most of my plants. I just realized that my first clone is suffering from zinc deficiency, another plant suffering iron deficiency, so what i'm going to do is blend up some eggs with the shells with my next batch of nute water and if that fails, then i'll flush. I've only been focusing on the three main requirements for growth, and now i've hit a point where the micronutes are currently important. After that, if growth stalls, the only answer would be to flush.

15. #116 NoCalCann, Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2010
    you dont use the eggs just the shells I use about 8 egg shells and a tablespoon of vinegar helps eat the membrane in the shell grind it up into a paste in a pestol then pour into a baking glass bowl and put in the oven on low 200 till dry look for browning on dried eggshell then regrind in a pestol till a dust add in watering or nutes and foliar sparingly to foliar feed eggshell will build up on leaves if so rinse later that day. your spotting could be lack of manganese if your PH is screwd under 6.0 over 6.8 it will stop your plants from getting nutes to the roots so a foliar feed may be your quickest solution also add some acid after nutes your PH goes up from salt build up acid helps lower PH.CHECK MY OUTDOOR LST! http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-grow-journals/626232-outdoor-lst-nocalcann-5.html HOLY SHIT! I didn't see nerdinesses response! FLUSH it! I had to aswell most common NOOBY MISTAKE! after your flush gradually add nutes or alternate nutes watter til there really healthy then up them till 2 weeks prior to harvest then just water.

16. Here's what wikipedia says the FDA states is in a regular egg: (Ignore the links)
    Vitamin A equiv. 140 μg (16%) Thiamine (Vit. B1) 0.066 mg (5%) Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.5 mg (33%) Pantothenic acid (B5) 1.4 mg (28%) Folate (Vit. B9) 44 μg (11%) Calcium 50 mg (5%) Iron 1.2 mg (10%) Magnesium 10 mg (3%) Phosphorus 172 mg (25%) Potassium 126 mg (3%) Zinc 1.0 mg (10%)
    So, NoCal, the egg shell is simply calcium and vinegar breaks down things that aren't water soluble - I did this with some tums and regular table vinegar to foliar feed (worked fairly well actually too).

So what i've done this morning is to blend 2 eggs, a pitcher of left out water, and some of my fish poop and molasses. The molasses itself has iron, calcium, and magnesium - so here, with the two eggs, i'm adding zinc, phosphorus, and vitamins! So after I blended everything together I gave that fresh batch of nute water to all my plants.

As far as an update goes, after giving my plants regular nute water yesterday, my clone wasn't doing any better, I realized the brown crispy parts of it's young leaves are actually heat damage so I raised the lights about an inch and i'm going to get a small fan to blow into my box to help disperse heat. My hook plant also had another leaf blade begin to spot yellow (it's half yellow now) and I also noticed that the tips of all my branches look stunted and twirly.

So i'm going to see if the eggs add the crucial nutes my plants need, and if that doesn't work after about 2 days i'll have no choice but to flush my babies.

Cheers.

17. interesting. but I eat the eggs:D and I was wondering about using tums cool. the vinigar helps eat the membrane skin in the egg ive noticed plus its acidic good for mj plants like acids. TY 4 checking out my grow:wave:

18. I think what my nute water + eggs did to my plants today was mitigating damage. My hook leaf plant that had a half yellow leaf blade yesterday has not fully yellowed in today and my plants are all reaching eagerly.

My first clone looks like it would've perished overnight if I hadn't given it that water yesterday, my second clone actually doubled it's height and grew a new leaf set, and my third clone had it's leaves stiffen up some and grew an extra leaf set.

So I gave my plants another bottle of that nute water today to see how well it works for them today. If they do well and the damage recedes, I will continue feeding my plants with the original nute water plus two eggs - depending on how much damage is mitigated, I may decide to add another egg or two and see what happens. If we figure 150mg of zinc/iron per egg, then my plants have gotten 300mg/5+(1 split between the clones) between today and yesterday (<50mg). So I may need to up the egg dose, or continue at this level.

Cheers (i'm excited to see what happens tomorrow)

19. #120 korsen, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
    Greets all. The last two days of egg nute water made my plants go crazy. All of them grew an amazing amount, and my second clone (non-hook plant) DOUBLED it's height. Definitely taking pics :D

Ok so we have pics but I have to wait for security token bullshit to go away so you'll have to wait on that. My hook plant grew real nicely, I can continue to feed it nute water. That leaf blade that was half yellow before is now dead, and the yellowing began to spread to it's adjacent two blades but it hasn't gotten worse than 10% which is significantly less ground lost than the past few days so it's definitely slowing down, plus the growth on it shows how extremely important the micronutrients are. Too bad i'm not taking pics daily, or you'd understand my suprise.

The plant next to my hook (in the picture i'll submit, it will be the one on the back left corner) looks like it grew well, but it seems like it's genes are half garbage because the rest of my plants have determination, if not good genes.

My topped plant is just strange. I can never tell what it wants. It grew a bit and the lower leaves are yellowing a bit which i'm hoping will reverse. It's split nature gives it a personality of having two heads - when I bend the taller one down, the other becomes dominant and grows aggressively and vice versa. EDIT: I know about the auxins thing, but it still feels like it has two heads that are arguing with each other.

My bush plant (upper left in the future pic) doesn't really grow anywhere since i tied it down with yarn. It's just stayed a bush, but I wonder what it's actually doing on the inside... It's appearance hasn't changed in days.

The upper right plant in my future pic has clear signs of nute burn, despite the fact that it's reaching so hard it's even curling my leaf tips up on the main stem tip. The pic itself will be blurry, I apologize in advance for a few of them being blurry but the main picture of my box will give a great view of how well they're doing.

If I had to give the stages of badness a name, I would put them in 3 stages - Concerned, Worry, and Freaking out. My bush plant is stage 1, the nute burn plant is a receding stage 2, hook plant stage 0.3, topped plant stage 1.4, and the 5th (dunno what to call it) is stage 1. My two good clones are stage 0, and my bad one is stage 2.2 - In the future i'll put my feelings at the time I post in this kind of format, so you all can understand how I feel about each individual plant and their behaviors from day to day. I can imagine if this is how they react to being rejuvenated with micronutrients, how they might grow if I had a digital pH tester. I bet if I had started with hydro from the beginning with a pH tester, even with CFL's, my plants would've grown magically. I would like to take this space to say that experiencing the plants capabilities for growth even under CFL and soil, hydro should easily be capable of wonderful results if someone used that technique with CFL's and kept the reservoir nute balance tight. I can imagine someone with their technique perfected seeing hyrdo/MH/HPS style growth even under nothing but CFL's.

So here is my plan for the moment: I gave all of my plants except my clones plain water. My clones get no water today because the soil is still good. Tomorrow i'm going to make a fresh batch of nute water with 3 eggs and give that to them for the next two days. The plant with nute burn is going to get alternating nute/plain water until I can see it's burns disappear. My weak clone looks like it's greening up a bit, but not as fast as I would like - I cut the dying bottom leaves off.

I'd also like to use this space to give some advice to our would-be growers: Give your plants individual attention. You can get away with feeding them all identical amounts in the beginning, but once your first plant exhibits problems, you need to switch to an individual feeding program immediately for optimal growth. When you do have problems with your plant, look over sections of nute problem FAQ's and marijuana bibles DAILY. Eventually something will click and you'll be able to halt the damage asap. PS: BUG INFESTATIONS ARE NOT A JOKE - STOP THEM THE SECOND YOU FIND THEM. I have read that regular spiders (not spider mites) which include the tiny jumping spider is good for the garden because they eat spider mites and other negative creatures - I have also read that ladybugs are good too. I had a spider mite problem for about a week until I discovered anti-mite spray for roses in my shed, and they made the affected plant look like it went from 20 years old to 50. I haven't looked very hard, but I did look a few days after I sprayed and my problem is gone. With that information, none of my plants have eaten leaves or holes or anything.

SMOKE ON! B-)