1st Grow, Bagseed CFL LST

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by korsen, May 20, 2010.

1. So the babies have been loving the seltzer, everytime I spray them it seems like they blush with saturated color. So earlier today I crushed up some tums since I can't find any information online about it and i'm not sure what else i'm feeding them with might have calcium in it. I'm guessing nothing, and the leaves are hooking on two plants I think and one plant's new leaves have 3 large blades and two small ones.

So what I did was crush up 10 tums and dissolved them in vinegar after finding that calcium carbonate does not dissolve in water. After having done that, I mixed some of the mush into the remaining flat seltzer and sprayed the plants with it. I'd say it was about 1/3 tsp mixed into about a 1/2 - 1/3 cup of water. It left white stains where i'm assuming the calcium was supposed to be. In a few days i'm going to pay close attention to unusual differences, and i'm hoping that the daily seltzer sprays are going to help the plant absorb the calcium.

2. Ok, so my babies grew again. Maybe it's the nighttime that my plants love to grow in. Two days ago I fed my plants 2 bottles of water, yesterday I let them dry out, also yesterday I sprayed with some dissolved tums mixed in flat seltzer and if you guys notice one of my plants looking droopy all the time, that plant is now standing at attention. I'm excited. It's been like that for several days and i think the only thing that did it was the calcium spray. All my other plants grew normally (except for one that keeps hooking it's leaves).

I gave them 2 bottles of water today, used some more calcium spray before I sprayed them again with regular seltzer. The water diluted the dried out calcium on their leaves, as expected.

Until next time! (definitely pics next time!)

Cheers.

3. Sup all. I think spraying the dissolved tums on my babies did a world of good for it. Not only is the calcium deposits still drying out on the plant leaves, but they're blooming and standing at attention like they can't get enough.

Pics are going up today!

Cheers.

PS: For anyone that is looking to do the same, I crushed up 10 tums, dissolved them in vinegar, and mixed them into water and foliar fed. I'd suggest only spraying once a week, or once every two weeks as too much calcium can lock out nutes. I'm also thinking of increasing my fish emulsion and molasses amounts in the next bucket of water.

4. #24 korsen, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
    Ok here's pics. Damn edit feature doesn't allow attachments. Anyway, these are today, pre-LST'd for your enjoyment.

Also, the white spots are the calcium deposits, and not mold :)

EDIT: I think i'm gonna get some dank stuff from the hook-leaf plant, but my friend who's been in the culture years before I was calls the plant in the first pic as being the best. I myself think the plant in the 5th picture (which is the center plant) is the strongest. So, we'll see who brings out better and thicker bud, assuming they end up being females. From what I can tell reading the grow journals, I think i've got 4 females and 1 male on my hands.

Attached Files:

5. #25 korsen, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2010
    Update: Letting my plants dry out after the latest feeding oddesy of 2 bottles, then 1 bottle, then today nothing. I had to LST the leaves on two plants cause they're so darn bushy and the internodes are crazy short. They've been loving the seltzer attention. A nice solid green and reaching like babies to their father. Going to LST the other two (the fifth was topped correctly, and then LST'd, so it's still standing and fine) and see how "reachy" they are in the morning. Pics will be of that. They look healthy as can be (except for what I think is a light problem which may be resolved soon - bold lines that appear to be either blackened, or eaten away by a lack of sun/nutes) and i'll determine whether they get one or two bottles in the morning.

Cheers.

EDIT: Just fyi, the bottom leaves/fan leaves that turn yellow that I can't get to rejuvenate (the rest look so healthy I question the need for these leaves) and when I pluck them off, they smell so nice and earthy and warm. I bet this is gonna be some nice smoke when it cures properly.

PPS: I believe I may be adding 4 more 100w CFL's into the corners of my box. We'll see how much my babies love that.

Update PT2: So I learned recently that what i've been using for the last month was 138w altogether, of pulled light. I went to the Garbage Depot and got some more lights. Our grand total is now 284w. We've got four full spectrum CFL's at 27w and two 42w soft white CFL's hovering above my lovely plants, and inserted four 23w soft white CFL's into the corners of my box just to make sure light gets on all sides :) Each corner bulb is also tilted just a tad as to direct more toward their height level. I'll LST the other two bushy plants in the morning and put pics up after. It's easily almost three times as bright in my box now. :)

Update PT3: Couldn't stay away from my babies. I LST'd the other two plants thinking they would look better for the camera tomorrow when they get their fresh serving of water.

6. #26 korsen, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2010
    Welt, after I let them dry for a day they're still reaching so i'm assuming they have more water than they need and some is sitting at the bottom so i'm going to water 1 bottle every other day and let them dry every other day until I see a lack of water being a problem.

So, everything still looks great.

Enjoy the pics. Cheers.

EDIT: Also, my water mixture of fish emulsion, epsom salts, a bit of hydrogen peroxide, and molasses was covered for a single day. I don't know why I covered it, but it smelled worse than it did before and it looked like there was tiny solids floating at the top. I'm not sure if that could be some chemical bonding to another or if the water is rotting. Otherwise most of it's familiar properties are still present. My next batch of water will receive less epsom salt, less hydrogen peroxide (none actually), but more molasses, and the same amount of fish emulsion. Anyone think my babies will consume more nitrogen in a week?

Also, they're bushy as fuck. It's almost like trying to handle something in the center of a huge bag of latex gloves. They don't look that thick here, but have your imagination add an extra leaf underneath every one you can see. All the new leaves are particularly huge and pic #4 doesn't feel like it's been growing as well as the others. Suggestions?

EDIT2: Can we have this moved to the grow journal section? Must've been too high when I started it here.

Attached Files:

7. #27 korsen, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2010
    Ok, so i've identified that i've overfed Mg and i've got lockout. I prepared a fresh bucket of water to evaporate today which isn't going to have any Mg in it - just the fish emulsion and molasses. I'm going to leave the remaining water with Mg in it just for the day it wants Mg. Going to add some molasses to my flat seltzer later and spray with that to see if it's lockout. All these new lights should have given me some significant growth but i'm assuming it's too much Mg.

Yep - too much Mg. The light molasses spray showed some change. Going to continue molasses spray for today until water feeding tomorrow sans Mg.

8. #28 korsen, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2010
    Ok so the good thing about not feeding your plant water once every few days? If you overfeed, you haven't dumped a gallon of the stuff into the pot :) Guess my little advil bottle feedings have mitigated any hardcore damage because they just started to droop again (from reduced waterings).

So, i gave them a fresh feeding with two bottles of water, one around the edges and one in the center. Hopefully everything starts picking up again in the next few days.

EDIT: Just checked them before lights out - they look to be responding very well. Looked like nute lockout from Mg and looked like I may be right. Can only tell in the morning. The main tops have grown more today than they did yesterday by a noticeable amount so i'm looking forward to smoother days ahead.

Also, for anyone skimming to this part so far, the soil i'm using (manure/humus organic) is very breathable. It gets so dry on top that the soil has the density of powder clumps. I would also like to mention here that if you do not crush up and separate pressed and packaged soil, absorption will be much more difficult and so will placing anything in the dirt to keep the plants in place. I crushed up I believe 4 of the 5 buckets and it's very noticeable.

9. So they look much better today after their feeding sans Mg. Took pics of my burns as well today.

Cheers.

Can't upload because a security token was missing. Guess i'll have to wait.

10. #30 korsen, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
    I'll just put this here as an update to the latest set of pictures i haven't been able to upload here.

All the plants look to be doing well, however my correctly topped plant isn't growing the same way as the others. 3 of my LST plants are growing at an average pace but my hook leaf plant is just loving my environment. Wish i knew which strain this was. The hook leaf has grown an inch or two more than all the others. I thought my center plant was the strongest (probably would've been excellent hydro genes) but apparently this hook leaf plant is just made for this environment. I'm guessing this is a brazillian weed or some other tropical strain because the last few days temps have been 80-90ish indoors and 50-72/75% humidity. So it's pretty brutal in my grow room, and even more brutal in my grow box because that's what i'm getting OUTSIDE the box. It's probably easily a good 5-10F hotter in there.

Anyway, until the next set of pics!

Cheers

EDIT: Holy crap between this morning and a few hours later. It grew another inch! All the Mg must be getting filtered out or maybe its just because it got cooler today and the humidity is down as well, I don't remember feeding them yesterday and I haven't fed them today either but they're still reaching so there must still be water and nutes in there. Once I'm able to throw more pictures up here, i'll take few surrounding shots of my topped plant so you all can let me know whats going on with it, because it doesn't really have symptoms but it's really slow going...

11. Interesting read mate.

The satisfaction on the day when you enjoy it for the first time will be awesome!

12. Yeah tell me about it. I'm super excited for this hook-leaf plant cause it's just flourishing right now in the brutal heat. If things go well for that plant and things go bad for the others, I may just continue to LST it inside of the entire box because that's how much stronger it is at the moment.

13. Ok so i'm starting to see some issues with another plant (which had a light fall on it for a bit), but otherwise todays update? Our hook-leaf plant has this morning broken it's side shoots through it's canopy and we now have two strong baby branches. I'm sure there's more, but it's under there. I'll try pics again later :)

14. #34 korsen, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
    Today will be their fourth day without a water feeding and they're just freakishly mutating. They're still green and healthy, reaching like crazy and they're starting to look like a pineapple gone wrong.

At this point, with it especially being their fourth day WITHOUT a feeding I can understand now how easy it is to overfeed your plants. I'm more shocked that my advil sized feedings were more than it needed!

Aside from the extra nutes stuck in the soil now, I think the extra water I was giving had created some form of minor nute lockout by itself because even my topped plant shoots have spread out nicely (pics of that later or tomorrow.)

So i'm going to try to put the original pics from a few days ago up again, otherwise it's simply a mail to the admin :\

EDIT: The new pics, you're gonna love. The hook leaf plant has two dominant branches sporuting that grew in a single day once i exposed them. I am happy to report also after LSTing my plants finally that I see 9 branch sites so far on each plant, and I have moved my topped plant into the center of my box, and the previous center plant in the topped's place. The topped plant's two nodes were both stretching in the direction of my 42w Daylight? CFL so I thought to put them underneath both and let each grow in the direction of the two I have up in the middle. We'll see if growth improves under these new conditions. Cheers.

15. So a few more bottom fan leaves have been turning yellow from lack of light since they're so bushy. I figure it's for the best to expose the branches to the light. Starting today, i'm going to pluck one leaf a day until I can see all the branches, and move the rest. I tried moving some leaves around some more so we'll see how things go.

So I turn my lights off at 2am (i looked at the water) and then this morning BAM both my buckets of water got mold. Those got dumped immediately. I find it really strange considering my fan is on exhaust and the door is always closed and there's no food up there... it was like magic.

BUT! On the good side, my plants still don't need water! I think it's been a week without water (save for the daily sprayings of the leaves). I did notice though that the new growth from the main stem on my previously center plant are starting to bend a bit. It turned out pretty well for my other plant! We'll see how they behave.

Cheers.

16. Yay new update! I've noticed aside from my topped plant which is stil growing, but at a much slower pace, that I have a normal plant which is slower than the other 3 but faster than the topped plant.

Moving on! I pruned about two or three leaves from each plant and moved them all to the side today to expose the branch sites and the main stem. Most of the leaves were bottom fan leaves with sets of 3 or 5. I had to take off some of the 7 blade leaves because they were just so HUGE and the plants were just so difficult to move around with just two hands. I figured a bunch of leaves weren't going to get the light they needed so I took a few off the bottom. Gave me back a bunch of my wire holders back though.

So on my best plant, (the hook leaf plant now) we've got 3 maturing branches. The rest have maybe one or two fairly good branches and all of them have a crapload of sites. (oh, minus the topped plant... because it's just sucking right now).

One of the leaves I took off the hook plant smells real nice ^_^

Cheers.

17. #37 korsen, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
    They aren't quite growing as quickly of late. I wonder if it's the leaves i've been pulling or if they're beginning to run out of nutes. I'll stop with the leaves for a day or two, see if growth picks back up. Or maybe it's the plant that's confused between it's main stem and the new branches. They still look nice and healthy so... no complaints i guess. (A week and a day without giving them water! Just the spray. Making me concerned about how badly their nute supply will end...)

I tried lifting one of the buckets (couldn't lift it far with the lights) but it felt pretty light to me so i'm guessing my plants will be running out of bottom feed soon and i've prepared an empty listerine bottle with water. Tomorrow i'll throw in some fish emulsifier and some molasses. When I run out of that water, i'll just use the fresh water i left in the bucket for a refill.

18. You really need a MH 250w min but most recommend at least 400w. If you only use cfl's you are going to end up with popcorn buds. 100w cfl is not equal in lumens to 100w MH. When the plant gets taller, the lower part of the plant will not get enough light.

But if money is a concern. I would suggest doing a scrog setup. That way you can blast the bud sites with as much lumens as possible. I attached a link with the only setup I have seen that worked with low wattage cfl's. Check out the rest of his grow on youtube. It was impressive for a stealth grow.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B--AH76CLes]YouTube - DIESEL SCROG PART 1[/ame]

19. Thanks for stopping by. I'll def be engaging that soon and i'll build it just atop the buckets to control the branch growth. How high should I put the screen above my lst'd plants for the branches? My plants are no taller than a large leaf each and have just started pushing out branches which i've recently been encouraging by exposing the stem on all my plants. I'll have to think hard about how i'm going to execute the lighting with the box I have.

You think scrog will make that much of a difference over regular LST? I'm not sure how much longer I can allow these plants to veg and i'm going to have to force flower in a few weeks so i'm unsure atm as to whether it would be worth implementing. Think 2 months is a safe buffer to allow the plants to flower? If i've got more veg time i'll for sure throw a screen in.

20. #40 korsen, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2010
    Lets see if the pics work today. Yep! Ok, so these pics are from a while ago, maybe almost a week at this point. I'll post new pics tomorrow now that it works again.

In any news, my one hook leaf plant is doing 2x as well as any of it's peers. The only thing i can think of is that plant is a wee bit closer to the 42w than any of them, but my other two corner plants are pretty much next to dual 26w.

Trimmed a few leaves today that were either blocked by other leaves and replaceable, withered from being covered, or if I just needed to give a plant their one leaf a day thing. My hook leaf plant is literally twice the size of any of my other plants, and their branches look three times as good.

All in all, each leaf i pluck smells better than the last, regardless of which plant.

Oh! Now that i'm remembering, that listerine bottle i filled with water - i threw some fish crap and molasses in there and fed a bottle of that to my plants yesterday. I'm also getting the feeling that the more a person tends to spray a plant, the less it needs to draw from the soil, meaning it'll be getting just water, instead of water with fish crap and molasses in it. i'm going to stop spraying them altogether now that I think i've got my feedings under control. Gave them their bottle yesterday, none today. I'll see how they look in the morning. (That hook leaf plant looks 3x as healthy as the other plants too, i'm sure you all will be as excited to see the hooks progress as i am posting it!)

EDIT: The hook plant is the 5th picture. Compared to that picture and what it looks like now - imagine someone walking through and chopping everything in their path with a machete. Now imagine it all grew back same as before. Now imagine my hook plant grew in thick as a jungle ^_^

Attached Files: