1st grow and journal

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by semperfi31, Apr 2, 2010.

1. #1 semperfi31, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
    After some adversity i am up and going. this is my first real attempt to grow. i hope theres a great future ahead of me and u for this!!!

2x4x5' grow tent
    light: (8) 26 watt cfl, (2) 23 watt cfl, (1) 60 watt uv sunlamp ( need to make a hood, any ideas cheap??) 18/6.
    organic soil with natural composte and perilite mix
    need to get better pots just waitin to get a root base
    have a fan on the plant and lights and a 4" fan atop acting as an exhaust for now and another at the base vent for fresh air intake.

I realize i will need to improve my conditions. as help is very welcome and hopefully as the money comes so will the equip u guys advise me on to achieve my goal. right now that is to succesfully care and grow for this plant and learn in prep for theseeds im waiting on.(which will be my main goal when they arrive..some g-13 haze/pineapple xpress and some purp).

I will be posting some pics later on today.

my plant sprouted from seed on march 22nd and was put in soil. overcame some shit and made it here..lol.. seems to be doing ok. i have a lil burn and that was from having the leaf wet under the light(im pretty sure).

Hope everything works well!! wish me luck, and to u the same!!!!

Attached Files:

2. i dont kn ow how to post the pics i took to this journal but i have them on the other post i did. these pics are a couple of the set up and the lil seedling in the green pot was photod on 3/27.. 5 dsays in soil.. it ended up stretchin bad and i replanted it to the bootleged taped water bottle in there now.. it is actually a seed from the dark green bud in the pic in my other post

3. ok.. so i have finally taken some pics today to put up.
    these are from today as u can tell by the difference in set up..

im currently using no nutes, still need real ventilation syst, and a reflective hood for the lights.(this i have been made well aware of!1) any ideas for these will be great. also i would like to get he best bargain for my dollar..lol..

well today i watered once at 10 am..(dont have sched.. jus when it feels dry)
    temps ranged from 72.6- 78.4
    ive had the fan on the same sched as the lights 18/6...

let me know what you think.. good, bad, or just any advice on the equip to use for an inexpensive price.. thanks!!

Attached Files:

4. #4 holynazi, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2010
    For CFL light reflectors, you can use simple soda/beer cans!

Rinse out the can

Cut the top off

Cut the can in half VERTICALLY or LENGTHWISE.

Mount onto your lights. I tape em on with electric tape.

Hope this helps.

EDITL You should mount your lights horizontally as CFLs give off the most light from the sides.

5. thanks alot.. will give it a shot

6. Sweet! Subscribing. Hopefully since I'm a little ahead you'll see all the dumb mistakes I make and then avoid them yourself. I've ingested massive amounts of reading material and logs and blah blah blah, so I know most of the problems and can recognize them, but I still don't know how to avoid them until it's too late.:( Regardless, we can follow each other through each of these first grows and hopefully one day long in the future enjoy each other's products from later, more-refined grows.

On the ventilation...using the lights you're using right now, a simple fan will cut it. The advantage of using CFL's is that they don't give off much heat at all. However, it's still important to circulate fresh air around the plants for respiration, stalk strength, etc., so just a simple fan blowing on them will cut it for now. If you get an HPS for flowering or something, you can make a duct system with an inline charcoal filter that will pump hot air out and filter it so it doesn't stink up the place. I wasted a lot of money on my set-up, but I've seen several DIY posts where people describe how to do everything I've done for pennies on the dollar. I'm constructing a new grow closet as we speak that will blow my current set up out of the water. Completely redesigned and looks like a normal closet, hahaha.

Anyway, give me some info here so I know what you're designing in mind for:
    Does anyone go in that room? Is there anyone else in the house that you have to hide this from? Do you have a grower's card, or what? How many plants are you planning on getting going? You can hit me back on here or in a message, whatever works.

7. #7 semperfi31, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2010

i live with my family but dont have to worry of anyone in the house.. no one goes in there without my knowing..(at least i hope..lol) well i kno that is not funny but i did change the locks and my wife and i r the onli ones with keys.
    as for the hood im just tryin to put something over that 1 light set up for now.

i onli plan on growing 2-4 at a time. i onli have this one space so i dont have seperate rooms for the stages. so i need to keep the plants with in a wk or so of each other i figured to keep em all on the same light sched.

good luck with your project bro!!!! i will be watching and learnin as long as my internet connection stays up..lol thanks alot.. will post more this weekend..
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    4pm... 4/3/10
    as for today.. everything seems to remain the same..
    temp- 80.1
    fans on plant and one fan in vent acting as exhaust
    watered today.. dont have sched. but it seemed dry so i added enough so the first inch and a half was moist

these pics i just took.. the leaves seem to be getting a little fatter and darker green, i dont kno if u can tell from the pics yesterday and today.

Attached Files:

8. i check alot of posts and for 13 days in soil seems to me to be not as advanced in grwth am i behind?

also i was wondering what are the stages/ cycle of the plants life and for how long do they usually last??
    i see people veggin for 13days or like day 12 flowering... is there a set time u need to keep the plant in the stages for?? whats the deal with that?

9. not much changed,, havent been here all day but they doin well.. fox farm nutes en-route.. i got this because it was the most referenced set of nutes ive come across...

any one who uses it, can u tell me why its "better" than avg.???

10. :wave: Hello - I'm just starting a grow with 6 seedlings and will be using ff grow big as a nute through veg. stage - I've only used it on house plants so far but they love it! I'm also going to use superthrive which is an old family favorite. I don't plan to start nutes until 2 or 3 weeks down the road unless they seem limp. This is my first grow - little scarrt.

I wish you well and will be watching - thanks for sharing your experience!

Peace.....

11. yo!

okay, so cool, so you don't have to be that secretive with the grow and hide it as something if no one's going to see it anyway. that's what i was trying to figure out. the other thing is that some states penalize you based on number of plants you have, so you should look up your states laws so you'll know. then if there's a difference in sentencing based on that number, it may be worth it to you to grow less.

secondly, you're not really behind. i can tell you from all the pictures i've seen, things i've read, etc. one thing that has affected growth rate is that you aren't under a metal halide (used for veg) right now, and your lighting is limited. i know from other people's journals that things take longer with fluoro's. however, if you decide to invest in some lights, you should get a HPS light for flowering and continue to use what you have for veg (unless you can afford both, then by all means...lol).

as for vegging, the longer you let it veg, the more bud sites you have and more developed plant. it's just up to you how long you want to wait. there is not set rule and it can be induced to flower at any point as long as it has a 12/12 photoperiod. it also depends on your growing technique and what you want to do with the plants to set them up before they flower. have you read about growing techniques? your homework if not, hahah, is read about
    a. LST
    b.topping/fiming/pinching
    c.supercropping
    d. sea of green
    e. screen of green
    then you'l have a much better idea of how people treat their plants for maximum yield, hahah.

12. thanks guys!! i read up on alot of the stuff but i find it to never be consistant, everyone has there own way ya kno.. so i was getting confused..

i will put some pics up today... and i have a seedling that jus broke soil over nite so i will need to re asses my lighting situation posibly to accomodatemy lil girl..lol..i hope they r ladies!!!

as for getting the new lights.. i cant afford the mh/hps yet but in a month or so i should be looking into it.
    for now i was going to replace (4) of the 26 watt lights at 1700 lumen with (4) 42watt cfls and i believe the count on the lumens is 2100+..
    __
    as for the nutes i havent used any yet. today is actually the 2nd wk to the day i put the germ. seed in soil. so i figured by the time i get the nutes(standard mail) about a wk will have passed and ill be about ready to introduce the nutes to my baby..lol!!!

13. #13 OCTAGONAL HOME, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2010
    Howdy bro, your sprout looks great. However when I read that it's been up for 14 days I was really surprised. Using LST like I do by the two week mark I'm up to 4 or 5 nodes minimum. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong from what I've read. Your soil doesn't look too damp. The plant isn't burned. It doesn't have powdery mildew. It's just kinda stuck, I don't get it.

I use FF nutes for veg too but I don't feed them that for the first two weeks. I'll use CalMag after the first week if I see any yellowing, it's the first deficiency to show.

CFL's are a mystery to me but it looks bright enough in there to have produced a much larger plant by now. If you can pop a few more beans (make sure they are NOT valuable seeds) just some schwag seeds, see if those perform better. Make a comparison.

Sometimes ya just get a weird runt that for whatever reason doesn't go along with the plans we have for 'em.

There are tons of killer DIY's for hoods, DWC's, cloners...hell about everything. If ya wanna save every buck you can then build your own ballast kits could save ya some flow too.

Peace :smoking:!

14. these are piccs i took this mornin.. everything still remaining constant.. i got a new seedling in there coming up and a few seeds germinating right now.. ff nutes enroute should be here by the 9th..

so hopefully everything will take off

Attached Files:

15. Does your plant have drywall dust on it or any kinda dust that may have settled? If not, it looks like you may have some powdery mildew.

Might wanna look in the Sick Plants forum here on GC, see if anyone concurs my theory.

If so, there are some remedies.

16. I just started too. I made a cabinet out of plywood. I put in a 600w light. I just saw my first sprout this morning. I am hopeful as you are.:hello:

17. thats just the flash from the cam makin that sparkle lil dot look

18. #18 semperfi31, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2010
    these are some pics i took today. Just got the ff nutes and added a makeshift reflector for the time being(will post pics later if interested).

i took a few pics here and noticed some growth on both sides in the same place and was wondering what that will be... some of the pics are really zoomed in, a few have a reference so u can see the size ratio.

its been 19 days since i've put it in soil and i am goin to start using grow big with big bloom. i water about every 2 days right now depending if the soil feels dry or not.
    what is the best watering schedule while using nutes???

and i would like to throw 2 or 3 more plants in there. how much more lighting(cfls) am i going to need to provide them the right amount to thrive??

Thanks... get at me!!!

Attached Files:

19. Good luck!!!! send me a link.. would love to watch